Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Kinky!

2. kragso23455

kragso23455 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 780
    Record Videos with more then 120fps.

At the moment i have to use Cheat engine to unlock the 120fps cap but its a little bit annoying.

I record my Videos in 200fps 1280x720.
    So i have in a 1/4 slowmotion 50fps.

3. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    an Overhaul of the Settings Menue wouldn't be the worst idea :)
    You cannot Resize it, and the scroll wheel in the mouse only switches the value directly under the mouse, you cannot scroll down the page.

[​IMG]

But that's not really a problem... what really bothers me sometimes is that you cannot scroll trough the tabs with mouse wheel when you click on the first tab or hover over it.
    Always need to aim carefully for the [>] button.
    This might be something worthwile improving.... someday...

4. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    @Unwinder

could you please add the Driver version to the Screen/Video Capture Default naming convention :) ?

or make a checkbox

"Add Driver Version to Filename"

5. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Any chance of MSI start to use AMD and nvidia HW enconding, like bandicam have.

The performance on there is really great.

6. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    It's been there for a while now.

Select "external plugin" for Video format.

Then in "...", select the type you want (Intel QuickSync/AMD VCE/Nvidia NVENC) and configure it to your liking.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Unwinder, could I suggest something for the a future release for you to consider please.

A 2nd fan curve plot. Activated by video player in FSE mode, or full screen windowed mode.

I watch a lot of video via my PC (WEB-DL TV shows and movies). I use Zoom player MAX, Lav Filters and MadVR renderer.

I have to have a slight overclock on my gpu to allow for when videos rendered via MadVR start to go into higher gpu usage, and need a different fan curve than my gaming curve. Having the options set for two and ways to trigger the 2nd via X or Y method (I don't understand the technical stuff here sorry)

MadVR with say its (NNEDI and SuperRes in tandem - image doubling and sharpening post processes ) can really tax the GPU and push the one Afterburner fan profile so that the GPU fans get noisy whilst watching these videos. And I find that my (set for gaming) fan profile does not work well for watching videos via my player (Zoom Player Max).

I was wondering if you could consider adding a tabbed second fan profile curve graph, and a way to trigger (switch) between fan curves. Such as detecting zoomplayer.exe or madvr running in full screen (FSE mode).

Personally I would find having a second fan curve specially for my taxing video playback would allow me to better manage fan noise from the computer when watching TV shows and movies via my PC video player and rendering via MadVR's image doubling and post processes. Some people double the images to upscale from 1080 to 4k on 4k screens. Others might upscale SD 4:3 video to 1080p and then sharlen it... this taxs ALL gpus.

Kind regards, Jonny

MadVR forum - contact: madshi

Zoom Player MAX forum

Other players that use MadVR on PC are: MPC-HC or MPC-BE, and POT Player.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Haven't checked, but ove support was pulled in the cat 15.7's and it broke vce and app in just about every program that relied on it. So vce or app (whichever ab was using) probably isnt working.

Just a FYI it broke raptr, bandicam, playclaw, and action...so it probably broke ab as well unless it was using amf for vce and app.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  9. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Can confirm VCE seems to be missing from the list (using Catalyst 15.7). I use QuickSync and haven't been in the video settings since I updated Catalyst, so I hadn't noticed it earlier.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, I remember thinking the list of components to be installed in Catalyst seemed shorter than before. This explains it.

Maybe you could get VCE working With Cat 15.7 by first installing the required components + VCE from an earlier version and then installing the latest Catalyst on top of that?

EDIT2:

Reading on AMD forums (thread "AMD VCE and driver Catalyst 15.7"), it seems at least Mirillis Action, Playclaw and Raptr have resolved the issue with an update, so it's not permanently broken - AMD just changed something in the implementation.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Yeah I am the one who notified everyone but Raptr about the issue, and told them the source of the problem. Bandicam just fixed it today, and D3DGear is working on the fix. The issue isn't that AMD forgot something. They had deprecated OpenEncode/OVEencode along time ago, but they just now removed it completely in 15.7 So now devs must use AMF. (jackun the dev of the OBS_VCE branch is the one who pinpointed the exact issue btw).

https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw

post from over a year ago by AMD saying that they no longer support OpenEncode:

"Sorry for the delayed response. OpenEncode supports only a single reference frame. AMD does not support OVEncode any longer. We recommend that you use the latest Media SDK, which supports more than one reference frame."

http://amd-dev.wpengine.netdna-cdn..../11/MediaSDK_AMF_ReferenceManual_1_1_Beta.pdf

Anyway, not sure if Unwinders contract allows him to fix it or if he has the time and resources to do so. Not sure how difficult of a fix it is, althoug it only took Mirrilis about 2 days, same with playclaw, took bandicam about 3 days. They might have the resources to make it happen. I understand Unwinder is only one guy, so I am not complaining. I just wanted to let him know about the issue, in case he wants to fix it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Yes, I'm aware that porting to AMF is required. Currently I'm in vacation so I'm far from my work rig till mid August. I'll be able to port it in couple days when I'll be back.

12. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Enjoy your vacation. Stay safe.

13. Daffrendo

Daffrendo Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (12) , Z (6)
    Hello! On Win 7/64. I am running a multi GPU rig consisting of 1 GTX Titan X (primary display GPU) and 6 GTX Titan Z cards (12 GPU cores, as each card is dual-core) as CUDA rendering compute devices. I use it for 3D rendering programs, such as 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, Octane Render, etc. Long story short, current MSI AfterBurner UI lets you live tweak settings for up to 8 GPU cores, but monitor greater than 8. I am looking to see if support could be added to allow the live tweaking control (fan, voltage, core clock, etc.) of including up to 13 GPU cores (1 X + 12 Z = 13 cores). Again, current 'GPU' tab lets you only view up to 8.

[​IMG]

Additionally, when PC is booted with > 10 GPU display devices, program just does not work, and receive crash from Windows (crash details), about Afterburner:
    Fault Module Name: RTHAL.dll
    Fault Module Version: 2.8.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 555f5b0a
    Exception Offset: 00032629
    Exception Code: c0000409
    Exception Data: 00000000

Thanks for any consideration. When rendering thousands of frames on an animation project, any small speed boost is HUGE :)

Regards!

14. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Windows tablet monitoring

As well as having apps for IOS and Android it would be great to have one for Windows tablets as well seeing as they are getting more common. Phones as well.

15. Egaliterrier

Egaliterrier Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970-3GD5
    So, I have a small UI gripe. Why are we restricted from interacting with the attached monitoring window while in the options menu? Allowing it would make for much more practical back and forth when setting up things like a custom fan curve:)

16. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Here's my pie in the sky. Don't expect it will happen, but I thought I'd put it out there for consideration...

I'd like more than 2 audio streams for video capture.

Reason is, I'd like to separate my Mumble/Teamspeak audio output from my game audio output (and in addition have my mic recorded as 3rd stream). I have the necessary hardware to do it (mobo built-in + separate sound card, in order to have the audio go to different devices, and a hardware mixer where I can combine the output for my headphones).

17. benparker

benparker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 950 / 2GB
    some good ideas

18. PhilN

PhilN Guest

GPU:
    HD7979
    Hi,

While I like AB much better than TriXX (such ugly interface), I have some
    suggestions (sorry if already suggested):

1) GPU/VMR temperature alarm: allows user to set alarm temperature for GPU and VMR. Option whether sound alarm and/or auto reset OC to default.

2) Be able to hide (not just detach) the hardware monitor panel. Disable/pause monitor when hide. Unless an option to continue monitor when hide is selected; OR temperature alarm is enabled (1).

3) Have an extreme basic skin mode without any fancy graphics for both main and monitor windows/panel. Similar to GPU-Z --> very clean and very easy to see all sensor values quickly; and use less screen space. Funtional is better than look !!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  19. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

New RTSS with hardware accelerated encoding via AMF on AMD graphics cards is expected on the next week.

20. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Thanks it is appreciated. Hope you had a good holiday/vacation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.