Is My CrossFire Setup Working Correctly? [Basic/Advanced Guide]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LtMatt81, Sep 30, 2014.

1. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Both cards should still run at x8 x8 to the best of my knowledge. Is this the board?

2. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Yes that it is, then I will get a SoundaBlaster Z.
    Thanks Matt,

3. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    It has plenty of pci-e slots, so i don't envisage a problem. :)

4. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Hello,

Should I be seeing the "AMD Crossfire" logo when playing BF4?

I see it with Cliffs of Dover, but not BF4.

Thanks for any input.

p.s. I also see the Logo with BF3...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Depends which API you use. If you use Mantle, you won't see it. If you use DirectX 11, you will. This is normal and applies to all Mantle titles currently. :)

6. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Thank you Matt, I do use Mantle.

7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I had a feeling you might be. :nerd:

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Any good crossfire profile to use for Dying Light?

9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Dying Light profile should be in the next driver.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Alrighty :)

11. Toki

Toki Guest

GPU:
    2 X AMD Radeon R9 290X
    Texture Flicker

Hi AMDMatt,

Firstly I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post here. Providing AMD users personalized technical and customer service support while keeping them informed is greatly appreciated. I upgraded my system a year ago from an old GTX 550-Ti to Twin R-9 290x (among other things). Since that time your advice has helped with numerous issues I've encountered, with crossfire especially. After spending $1300 on my graphics cards alone I've been dissapointed with my game performance (to the point I see no improvement or so negative I turn off X-Fire) in about half of my games. One thing I wanted to ask about here was in regards to texture flicker during crossfire. I've witnessed it on my system and heard about it from others. Driver updates deal with many of these problems, but since this specific one is so prevalent I wanted to know what plans, besides MANTLE, AMD is investigating to curtail this plague. Thank you for your time, Toki

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Thank you for the kind words Toki, am glad that this thread helped you. :)

Could you provide a little more information and clarify which games you have flickering issues with please?

13. Toki

Toki Guest

GPU:
    2 X AMD Radeon R9 290X
    Games with Flickering Textures

Elite: Dangerous. This is the only game I'm playing now showing symptoms. Texture flicker is only apparent in the surface textures of certain stars when close to them, but it disappears when x-fire is disabled. I know of multiple AAA releases out now which have these issues as well, namely Assassin's Creed: Unity and Dying Light.
    In my experience Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of the worst when it released. I was completely unable to play in X-Fire due to severe flicker in many textures, especially water.
    From my own time looking for a solution I've found it was prevalent for nVidia SLI setups as well. The patches that followed did help, and that is where my question comes in. If this is a known problem effecting multiple games and hardware configurations is AMD looking into the root cause of it?

14. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Thanks Toki.

I've personally requested a Crossfire profile for Elite, so you may see one appear in a future driver that we release. This should address the flickering issue in this title.

Regards Dying Light, we enabled Crossfire in our latest driver - 15.4 beta. Unfortunately, the game contains surfaces with are unfriendly towards Crossfire, this is why you sometimes see flickering in this game. We're hopeful that Techland will release a game patch to address this issue.

EDIT - I'm informed the flickering in Dying Light is fixed.

AC:Unity, we release an updated Crossfire profile with our recent drivers, so you should see improved performance in this title.

Dragon Age Inquisition should also work very well on Mantle and DirectX 11 with our latest 15.4 drivers.

If you're not using them already, please update to our latest Beta Driver which is 15.4. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. Kero

Kero Member

GPU:
    strix 5700xt
    I recently try to add a third card to my setup and encountered some problems that I didn't expect.

With my third card running at x4 in the pci-e slot I get a system freeze when using eyefinity. If I only use one monitor, crossfirex works perfectly fine and I get decent scaling. When using all three monitors in eyefinity and crossfirex 3 way I get a freeze everytime I try to run any game or benchmark the stresses the cards. 2 way crossfire and eyefinity work fine, but a third card at in the x4 slot and eyefinity gives me a system lockup or freeze within seconds of starting up.

After much searching i noticed that Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that specifically states 2 way crossfire and multi-display on their UD3 board, and 3 way crossfire and multimonitor on their UD5 board. The only difference in the pcie slots are x8 and x4 with the two boards.

I ordered an ASUS crosshair formula z yesterday that will give me 1 x16, 1 x8, 1x8 when running three way crossfire and eyefinity. Hopefully it works like I'm expecting.

I wish I had known when I bought this board that 3xeyefinity and 3xcrossfire aren't supported when the third slot is pcie x4. Even searching around the web I could only find a couple others with the same issue I'm encountering. I think it would be helpful if AMD said something about 3xcrossfirex and 3xeyefinity compatibility on their site so people dont buy boards with a third pcie x4 slot if they ever plan on adding a third card.

Also very much looking forward to an ED crossfire profile. I managed to get proper scaling forcing the new Evolve profile, but it seems it doesnt work for everyone.

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hope it all works as planned. :)

17. Kero

Kero Member

GPU:
    strix 5700xt
    It does now and thanks for the hope. All three screens and cards working absolutely perfectly.

The only thing I was disappointed about was spending $200 on a rather dated chipset. But at least I got what is arguably the best AMD chipset board for AM3+ for $209 which isnt too bad considering its original launch price.

I considered going with the new Intel ddr4 chipsets, but Ive already so much invested in other AMD components, it would have cost much more to do the full switch.

The only problem I'h having now is some uncomfortably high heat issues With the three cards being spaced so closely together. I think Asus would have been better off losing the fourth pci-e slot seeing as how its x4 and obstrcuted by my third card anyways. Lose the fourth and space them a bit better for airflow Having the cards average at 90c under full load and a vantec tornada ziptied to the front of them is how I'm using it now.

Really hoping the 390/x/s get released this summer and one card will push 5760x1080 without framerate issues.

I'd really hate for my next build to be Nvida/Intel board, but of something doesnt change soon, I dont think anyone will have any choice. There arent any AMD crossfire boards with pci 3.0 slots and while the difference between that and 2.0 in minimal, its still there.

Also was kind of disappointed AMd stopped producing their AMD R9 series gamer ram with the AMP profile. I contacted DataRam with whom the AMD contract was, and their sales rep told me they no longer have a contract with AMD to keep producing the ram. IT cant be foound anywhere for the msrp. I planned on reusing that AMD R9 2400mhz ram in my next APU build but I doubt I'll be able to find any modules for the MSRP seeing as how theyre no longer in production. However AMD is still advertising them on their site. Kind of misleading if you ask me.

MY last Nvidia SLI setup was with a gtx285 and I will say I've had much better luck and compatibility since using AMD's crossfire/multimonitor options along with mixing multiple GPUs in crossfire X. I really enjoy it in spite of the lack of profiles.

I'll give AMD one more year to release some new FX series processors and hopefully the 390's before the end of the year, but to be honest, I doubt I'll be able to keep going longer than that even if I want to simply because the hardware can longer keep up with current games recommended system specs, we're barley squeezing by now.

The one thing that makes AMD products worth it is the price to performance ration for experienced users who don't mind extreme overclocking, but to casual users I cant blame them for wanting to pay more for ease of use.

Any suggestions for cooling when the cards in crossfire that are spaced so closely together? I don think waterblocks right now would be a wise investment with the 300 series just around the corner, especially if the cant be used, but having all the cards push 90c under 99% load does make me a tad nervous.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  18. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Are you using the reference cards? If you could post a picture of inside your case that would be a great help.

Where are you based? I'll see if i can help dig up some of the memory for you.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The FC4 profile is still working really crap, :S even the BF4.exe profile for it works 10x better lol, just amazing scaling and performance, how it should be. But it has major flickering issues sometimes, really annoying.

And I'm also waiting for the 390X... zzz .. when is it coming out.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  20. Kero

Kero Member

GPU:
    strix 5700xt
    I'm in the United States. If you can PM me a good place to buy some AMD RAM at close to MSRP I'd be most grateful.

No, theyre not reference cards.

I took a couple pictures. You can see how I have the vantec torando ziptied to the front of them. That fan alone at full speed is almost 50 dB. I have the MSI TF3 7970 on top, MSI R9 280 mid, Gigabyte 7950 WF3 bottom.

I've considered buying 3 Delta 240 CFM fans and building a box for the rig so I dont have to deal with the 70 dB noise level those make.

Or maybe just buy a window air conditioner with flex duct and mold it right to the front.

I have the corsair carbide 540. Thinking I might get a 360mm radiator for the front and buy a waterblock just for the 7970 which runs the hottest. I redid TIM on them all using prolimatech PK3 but it didnt really make much of a difference. Just would hate to buy a block for the 7970 I wont be able to re-use.

I know the wires are a mess and there isnt any sort of color scheme I'm going for.. I'm just happy it all works. Not pretty, but its functional.

If you could find me a place I can get the 16GB AMD R9 2400mhz RAM for a decent price though I'd be the happiest guy in the world. That's really the only issue I can't solve on my own. Simply because they're no longer being manufactured and there's price gouging every where I look. Just look at the price on NewEgg for example. And those arent even the good ones...

It all works well enough to where I'm happy for what I paid, just bummed I cant find any more RAM.

http://imgur.com/ExalUrd

Last edited: May 9, 2015