Calling all benchers

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by cowie, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    in the common tab can't you just lower it with the slider?
    or just get rid of the boost entirely?

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well good try some 3d action too
    yeah was strange because it was not a cb or cbb issue I think its the dvi connector I would just use the other one around -15c on most cards but this card has only 1.... it does not blks just crashes in 3d for some reason.
    I had a 500w bios a 450w and the stock one all the same.
    I have the aio cooler on it now its crazy for one card in benches

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well looks like another mobo may be dead! Not sure what I'm doing wrong here :(

Was working fine last night, turned her off, unplugged everything leaving just the CPU and pot still installed, woke up this took the pot off and CPU out had a tidy up of residual water and redid my kitched roll and gaskets and just like last time nothing posts! Power kicks in for 2 seconds then all shuts down, then power kicks in for 2 secs and shuts down, basically it keeps repeating this until I turn off the PSU by its switch.

At least I saw 5.7GHz I guess, couldn't get close to 6GHz even with only 1 core and 1.8v :( No results to upload either bar one, got an OK R11.5 run at 5.3GHz I think it was, 5.4GHz was a no go even with 1.75v

Wondering if I should try an new method of insulation if I try again. Plasti Dip perhaps and paint a load of it on!? Or Liquid Electrical Tape not sure

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    matt you get your ass on skype with me next time wtf?
    1.72? you nuts?
    on dice???/ no no no under 1.60v

matt matt matt you cant throw volts at the chit on dice
    let it dry I had the cycle issue too......what board was that again ud5?

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Didn't realise over 1.7v was to much lol I read somewhere, think it was one of Sin's guides that 1.7v was OK for dice. It didn't have that sort of volts for long I think, only when I was trying for highest clock freq. I was booting into windows at 1.55v 5.2Ghz if I remember right.

So your saying nothing over 1.6vcore for anything? 2d or 3d?

I didn't play with other volts, left those on Auto, though I was going to try lowering the CPU PLL

This was on the Gigabyte Z77X UD3H

I'll sort out a Skype account aswell

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    those damn ud3's sure you can use 1.7 on dice but I would not bother unless you are talking cpuz validation or something.
    I would have just booted at 1.40v and used software to take it up you get a lot of temp swing sometimes.
    I must have had 50 or 60 runs with a ud5 and a 3570k/3770k with dice.....fastest I could go in 3d was 5.5 no matter what voltage. more like 5.4 soooooooooo that meant most of my testing was done around 5.3

u have no kprobe right? software temp monitoring still?

7. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah no Multimeter with a port for a probe or anything so I have real temp running to see if temps go into the postive, they did while I ran XTU actually hit 9C I think it was. BIOS only reads down to -8, knowing the temp is something that bothers me, I don't like not knowing so thats something I'm looking into getting.

I'm going to look out for a Z77X UD5H (same as in my Gaming rig) See if I have better luck with it, if not, then I'm out lol

Yeah, I really am surprised dice is so limiting, really hoped it would bring me more! Though benching at 5.3-5.4Ghz is much cooler to see than 4.8-5.0Ghz :)

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    just start out like you are on water or air
    bump up volts just alittle you will know the set better like that just milk the volts you still are clocking to cooling.
    Its not like ln2 on the hotter cpus you cant drop the temp like you can with a full pot.

they made like 10 good ud3's boards and they went to reviewers they cut down the production boards bad after the first month.

but ln2 mmmmmmmmmm then you can jut it all hang out like I said 5.4 chips dice went to 6.2
    The /3570k/3770k/4690k/4770k are hot chips that don't mind the volts so they just go when -100c.
    dice maybe -45c(depends on the pot) on cold boot at low volts and it only gets warmer from there.
    I don't blame for the frustration

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah think thats what I'll do, start out at 1.4v probably be able to boot into windows at 5Ghz at those volts while cold.

Yeah I can see I'm going to end up wanting to go LN2 sooner rather than later if I stop breaking things lol I just can't believe how limiting dice is lol Its like -80c stuff! To go from Watercooling to -80c stuff you just expect more lol

I had this problem when I went from Air to Water, my expectations where wrong there too lol Well for the CPU anyway, GPUs love water lol

I'll keep looking out for a UD5H, I'm done with the UD3H even though one has just popped up on ebay, I'll stick with going with the UD5H! Theres so many more components around the CPU socket, must be better for it and beefy heatsinks!

Fancy a better pot too, there was one on OCN a Marksmen, looked nice! But it went before I could do anything about it! Shame :(

Hows the Titan X going? Got her working under dice yet?

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well it would be good if you can get your board up and going again if not.....
    the marksman will maybe be the same as you have so why bother?

only tried once on dice on the tx but was a rather chit test session took me longer to prep then I got to test....think it was the vrm that were too hot I did not cool them properly. I wont give up I just have to learn along the way :)

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    omg it just booted! I think I've noticed the problem aswell! The pins on the back of the motherboard under the Phases or Mosfets (get confused with whats what lol I'll take a photo) are a bit worn! Theres what looks like some copper showing through, so I'm guessing when they came into contact with the surface I had the board on they were shorting it perhaps? I elevated the board so they weren't contacting anything and it post'ed!

All my dice is virtually gone now aswell lol Got no more than a handful left and that'll be gone by the time I get home from work lol

Oh well, I have more of a play with her 2morrow make sure everythings def alright, I'll pop my 212 on there see whats what. Try order more dice for another weekend!

Would it be a good idea to touch up those pins with some LET? Would that keep it all safe do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh cool it LIVES
    I would just put it on a piece of something that's not metal but if they are close to an area that may get wet cover them.

I had that happen to me more the once with the cycle issue was I thought wet ram slots or the ram training

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Matt,
    Your other dead board if you still have it, remove all plastic off it. Set oven to 350 degree's, put it in the middle of the oven on a cookie sheet for about 12 minute's. Nothing to lose........................

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'll give that ago! I'll set it all up again make sure all is working OK, then I'll have to see about ordering more dice, though at £40 a time for 10KG I'm wondering if its worth picking up a used phase cooler! Be cheaper poss long term, and its a nightmare having someone home to make sure I take delivery of the dice and I don't think phase is far behind dice in terms of temps so could be worth it

I would give this a shot, however I think I know why the board is broke, a little piece has broken off, I have a couple pictures of it I'll see about uploading them, but I'm pretty sure thats why it isn't working

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I can get dice cheap at most any time of day or night but in your case matt you might be better off with a phase for benching

16. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'll have to keep an eye out for a used one, see what I can find. Gonna have to save up a bit if cash for LN2, dewers aren't cheap are there lol. Just bought a UD5H on the bay so I've got a 2nd board now on the way, who knows how long that UD3H will last lol

May still order dice for next Friday, was gutted I didn't get much of a play last weekend :(

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    You will have better luck on the ud5 you will not have anything to worry about -
    Don't let the bum session get you down stuff happens

18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well the UD5H is here, I'll set it up 2morrow make sure it all works and take it from there! Just looking at it compared to the UD3H you can see it looks so much more solid! Lots more going on around that CPU socket! Even on the back of the mobo theres more there!

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah it does.
    the boards are great for the price even at launch
    get it running on air make sure the rams play nice with the board and have a good time

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah most def! Shall have a play this afternoon, played a little with ud3h yesterday, works, but the top two PCI e slots don't seem to work, have to use the bottom one. Should still be fine to use 2d stuff and perhaps general test board to make sure other components are OK so I'll keep it.

Have you seen on the bot, that GPU pi bench peeps were running a little while ago is scoring points now!