NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GuruKnight, Sep 9, 2014.

1. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Since I assume you're only adding to the list with proof:

SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate (SWAT 4 Included)
    EDIT: See Post #46.

DX9 AA: Use "0x000012C1"
    Album
    • Supports OGSSAA, MSAA, SGSSAA+MSAA, OGSSAA Hybrid. SSAA doesn't seem possible.
      [*]*OGSSAA Hybrid works, but when I take pictures it's just a black screen (looks comparable to 8xQ MSAA even when using 32xS).

"0x00001201" will also work as in my old post in the other thread, but I can't compare with regards to performance since I can't monitor it. Should be no reason to use it as such.

I used 0xC1 on my old 480 way back when and couldn't cause any frame drops back then. I cannot tell the performance since I can't get RTSS, etc. to work ingame, but even with a very low end card it should be manageable. No ghosting, artifacts, or anything weird.

I just gave up with the game after finishing it. Before the CPU related patch that was pushed, what I said earlier was the case. Now, it seems they both perform nearly the same, at least at 4K. I'm being too lazy with the game since I didn't care for it much :giggle2:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Noted again for reference.

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thank you very much for the contribution :)
    But are you sure a custom AA flag is even needed in such an old game?

Try just "0x00000000" and see if there is any difference in AA quality versus "0x00001201".
    Typically these special custom AA bits are only needed to force AA in games using advanced lighting such as HDR, deferred rendering etc.

4. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Yes 0x00 works, but it screws with shadows and details due to the blur. 8xSGSSAA+8xQ (flagged) has equal power, but keeps fine details intact.

I added a picture of 4x4OGSSAA without a flag to compare to the others with the flag in the album.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Could you do me a favor and try just "0x000000C0" for OGSSAA?
    "C0" is the typical non-blur flag in most older games ;)

6. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Ah didn't know. 0xC0 matches 0x12C1 every way, except performance is marginally better. (Finally got RTSS working in it).

0x12C1: 104.5 frames (98% usage menu)
    0x00C0: 104.9 frames (97% usage menu)

Guess 0xC0 is the way to go, even if performance is nearly identical.

XFAktOR likes this.
  7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Very nice, it is settled then ;)
    I have updated the spreadsheet with the new information, as well as added various important tips regarding DSR and downsampling in some games.
    This is also found under the "OGSSAA" category.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    btw what is OGSSAA, OG part?

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Ordered grid super sampling AA.

2x2 ~ 4xSSAA ~ 4xDSR (at least in terms of AA coverage)
    3x3
    4x4

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I had to move the changelog to a google document instead of including it directly in the OP.
    Exceeded the 40.000 character limit :D

This should also make it easier for me to maintain the spreadsheet and the changelog for both the 3DCenter and Guru3D versions of the thread.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

11. jujuom26

jujuom26 Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 GIGABYTE O/C
    very good thread
    please keep updating as you do

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Terrain flickering in SLI mode should be fixed with the new 1.06 patch for Dragon Age: Inquisition :)
    No need for a custom SLI profile, since the official one scales very well.
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10541698&postcount=1933

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Looking it over. I am still glad you made this.

It's always great to have additional resources and since it's basically maintained by only you, it shows great effort!

Keep it up!

14. Txema

Txema Member

Hi,

I remember that by using Nvidia Inspector and a compatibility fix (0x000012C1) it was possible to force Antialiasing to 4xMSAA and Transparency Supersampling to 4xSGSSAA in previous versions of the games Steel Armor Blaze of War and Graviteam Tactics Operation Star. They looked really great, but in the new versions of the games it is not working.

Is it possible to force antialiasing in Steel Armor Blaze of War and Graviteam Tactics Operation Star now? How?

(These games are sold through steam, for example)

Thank you very much for your help !

Txema

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I'm not familiar with these games unfortunately, and it seems they are using an proprietary graphics engine made by the Graviteam developers.
    But you might want to try "0x204412C1" for SGSSAA, just to see if it does anything.
    Also try disabling or turning down any post processing or bloom settings.

16. Txema

Txema Member

Hi GuruKnight,

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestion !

Unfortunately, if I force Antialiasing to 4xMSAA and Transparency Supersampling to 4xSGSSAA with the compatibility fix "0x204412C1", I still get a corrupted image in the games.

If I set just Transparency Supersampling to 4xSGSSAA (without setting Antialiasing to 4xMSAA) then the game works properly BUT I see no antialiasing effect...

Txema

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Then your only choice is to turn every setting down to the lowest values and try SGSSAA again.
    If this still has no effect on IQ or performance in any way, then it is very likely that the developer somehow broke forced AA in a recent patch.
    This has also happened several times with for example World of Tanks :(

If SGSSAA works with the lowest settings, then try turning each setting up incrementally until AA stops working.
    Then you will know for sure, which setting is responsible for breaking forced AA.

BTW the master list spreadsheet linked on the first page should now be completely up to date.
    I have also made various improvements to SLI, AA, AO and DSR descriptions.

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I can happily report, that both SLI and Flawless Widescreen still works very well in The Evil Within after the latest "DLC patch" a few days ago.
    I have updated my original SLI post for the game with a few more details:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10550504&postcount=1939

It also seems Ubisoft finally fixed the SLI flickering in Far Cry 4 with the latest 1.10.0 patch:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1072462-Patch-1-10-0-patch-notes?p=10712130&viewfull=1#post10712130

All in all, I think official and unofficial SLI support is slowly getting better after a quite "troublesome" 2014 :D
    Personally I'm becoming more optimistic now, since the release of GTA 5.

20. robb

robb Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 STRIX
    Been in search of games to play to kill time. Tried Dream. Although I hit a bug that won't let me continue so I'm not in the mood to really test much more with it, but here's results for the past 4 hours or so:

~ SLI ~

No Flag
    • Autoselect/Default: 2nd GPU may be used, but microstutter, poor performance/scaling.
    • AFR: Same as above.
    • AFR2: Works damn well. Performance does noticeably drop in large detailed areas (like desert). No microstutter.

0x02406405

• AFR: Mediocre as earlier.
    • AFR2: Works damn well again. Performance doesn't appear to drop as heavily in more detailed open areas--or it just feels smoother when drops may occur. May cause very rare shadow flickering on certain objects on certain maps based on the angle you're looking at.

0x03402005 from a steam guide

• AFR2: Lots of microstutter and or random FPS drops. Didn't bother testing much further.

TL;DR: Use no flag, or use 0x02406405 (recommended). Either way, use AFR2; AFR causes performance problems, mostly microstutter. The game runs on UE3.5. Tested with all settings at max with Vsync on.