Gigabyte Pushing it a motherboard revision too far ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    They realized the board was equipped alittle much for a 70usd board is my guess they should have renamed it thou.

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Let's just say that is not very nice of them... Minor revisions aren't worthy of a raised eyebrow, but these kind of changes should require a different SKU.

4. masterboy

masterboy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    Let's just say i complained to them that their motherboard old didnt like my 16GB pendrive,neather perfectly accepting the USB Keyboard. Had to beg for BIOS update... Which they give but like latest on the site was F9, and they give me F11b. I mean, thats something... let people beg.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    This is why I went for an Asrock board instead of Gigabyte. There has to be a reason Gigabyte seems so much cheaper than other entry level boards.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Not the first time they did this. With the motherboard I own (GA-890FXA-UD5 rev 2.0) the rev 2.1 board was roughly the same thing but just used cheaper components and I think the RAM channels were arranged differently. Both boards look nearly identical but there are some subtle differences.

The way I see it - if these boards perform equally, I don't personally care if the parts are cheaper. But if I'm looking to overclock and the cheaper parts prevent me from getting where I want to, that's a problem.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Bait and switch. Thats pretty low. I hope this gets wide coverage and shames them bad.

8. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Definitely should have a different SKU and/or name for those revisions. If the actual specs are changing that much.... :( I'm going to have to double check all specs on the manufacturer's website prior to any purchase now - which isn't a bad idea anyways, just more time consuming.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    H already said that these are very low end/priced boards and not really made to be overclocked or tinkered with.

They are basically plug and play boards. So you get what you get and that's it.

If this was the case with 100$ boards then i'm sure there would be an issue here.

Some people don't even know anything about Rev. In fact i rang Scan.co.uk once to ask about a certain Gigabyte mobo and what Rev it was because the mobo i wanted had Rev 1.1 out with improvements, like they had moved the 8pin CPU socket to the edge instead of the middle of the board.

I was told basically that i would get whatever they had in stock. Not happy with that and adamant that that was the board for me, i dug a bit deeper until i got a 100% guarantee that if i ordered i'd get the 1.1. Which i did in the end.

You can now phone Scan and ask what Rev is on a certain product. They even started listing the Rev number on items that have newer revs.

Saying stupid things about Gigabyte for this is crazy, i mean these boards are DIRT CHEAP, i don't even know where their profit comes from with these 50$ mobos. Still put a lot of copper and high end caps on these boards.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  10. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    yeah, cause they know what they're doin, as they make best mobos in world.
    just gotta make sure what you're buying and read reviews for yourself.
    horrid news though sure.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This happens with graphics cards too. XFX is one who usually craptalises their cards in new revision.

12. Phuncz

Phuncz Active Member

GPU:
    It's funny how a yellow squigly line can somehow "seperate" your audio hardware from the rest of the PCB.

13. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    'crapitalise', you just nailed it. :D

14. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    I always expected revisions to be better by default. Well.. now i know better than that.. thank you for that article..

15. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Been reading up on these, wow that is quite bad from Gigabyte! I have tended to stay away from them for builds, and this reaffirms my doubts.

That big of a revision should be another SKU, this is basically bait & switch after initial reviews are done. :puke2:

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm confused, when was it ever stated no matter what product it is no matter where it's from etc. that a new revision should be the same product functionally? I've never ever gone and looked at a product and seen that it has a revision and thought "Oh, i don't have to worry they are the same product"...as that thought never crossed my mind, it's a new revision, it's a new product, etc. So i'm just trying to figure out why it seems this article is stating it hasn't been that way....when it has...?

17. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Kinda like the graphics card bait and switch (only much worse IMO), i got mine after reading the reviews only to find out after i had got it that the reviewer samples had voltage adjustments and the retail versions had voltage locks.

Frankly, review sites should update their reviews when anything like this happens and is known about, nothing worse that reading a review of an item (i read the review of my GPU on Guru) only to get a card that has less features than the one reviewed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. galneon

galneon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's wonderful. I'm stealing it.

19. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Just like buying boxed foods (ice cream is an big example of this) or detergents from the supermarkets, same price and less of the product.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's a shameful practice. I too got bit by this with my last (and only) Gigabyte board, a GA-970-UD3. The one I received was a revision 1.1, and it didn't actually have real support for the 8320/8350. Only the revision 3.0 did.