Intel Core i7 4790K Devils Canyon CPU review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review the Core i7 4790K Devils Canyon processor. We will look at the performance of this processor in a wide variety of benchmark, will it be noticeably more tweakable than say the Core...

Intel Core i7 4790K Devils Canyon CPU review

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I like the deafult boost clocks very nice. 4GHZ default looks good, overclock is fine i wonder if we see the so called promised 5GHZ standart...

Heck it seems intel is really boring with themselves, Nothing can replace the might Sandy Bridge, the best cpus ever released.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nice review. Those temps look good at that voltage. Not much longer now until release.

4. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Thanks for this great review! Seems like the way to go for a new rig, Z97 + 4790K.

But as you stated, a lot of new stuff is along the way and the real benefits of this kind of CPU compared to the last generations does not mather that much imo. I own a venerable i7 860 (with decent overclocked on air cooling) and I still don't feel like upgrading (besides onboard USB3, using only half of my 750D front USB ports is :bang:).

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Interesting review. Not surprised by the results either because according to other reviews that they needed 1.4V to get to 4.8Ghz.

This will be a huge upgrade for me regardless on how Overclockable it is.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Looks decent, but I would have expected a 5Ghz OC on this, I can easily hit 4.8 on my 3770K and I think many others could on both 2500/2600K and 4770K... it's still a great chip for the ones looking to upgrade from older CPUs, but not much else. At least the stock boost looks better, that's a start, it was about time really.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    nice fast review :thumbup:

I think pcperspective got the same batch L336 and similar results, he end up @ 4.7ghz 1.365v, temps do look nice at that voltage, but kinda sucks its so limited.

I guess it needs voltage bellow 1.2v full load 4.4ghz to be able to hit near 5ghz.

[​IMG]

I think this one did 5ghz @ 1.325v, but idk was that 100% stable or just cpuz freq. screen,.. no info on that :D

Edit: I saw one @ overclock.net 5ghz @ 1.317v, but on 2nd look its only 4core 4threads..
    http://i.imgur.com/jtMHeUv.jpg

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Wow Hilbert receive the CPU yesterday and released the review today, talk about working fast! And here i was thinking that the dutch guys were just like the portuguse ones, lazy and avoiding work as much as possible so they can party or sleep...:roll:

Anyway, the 4790k is a great CPU but unfortunetly it can´t reach the magical 5 Ghz barrier, now i´m sad :(
    Not that it matters a lot in the end because the performance is more than enought but it would be nice if it could overclock better.

Great review as always!!!

9. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I was hoping for 5Ghz+ with this. Staying with the 2600k for a while longer. It's still getting it done.

10. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    at last, I was refreshing your page every now and then for this. I've seen the reviews of others but I enjoy your own reviews the most. thanks.

now let's see what you think of it..

11. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Thanks Hilbert.
    A big surprise at the lack of 5GHz and so I'm not interested.

12. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    well thats no upgrade from my 5ghz sandy yet again....

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    this was probably discussed already.

but why no windows 8.1 benchmarks?

14. stasio

stasio Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTS 450 SC
    Seems everybody for Reviews use same CPU batch.......L336D081...QG81 ES.
    Only Hexus use different....L410C691...QG81 ES.

Still waiting for Retail results.

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Nice review.

Might have mine next week (I've already got the asus ranger next to me) - I'd be happy with 4.7 perhaps

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Olololo. :wanker:

Thanks for that review.

EDIT1:
    Were you in a hurry? :banana:

EDIT2:
    Ah, I see. :D

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Looks nice, there is even a i7 965 from 1st gen i7 which at lest gives idea of how it would compare to my cpu.

This i7 4790k is really tempting to me but the read right speeds of memory using 1600mhz are not impressive to me in anyway. I already have 25000+ read speeds the write speed are 4000 faster then the 20000 i have. but then Im tri channel that is dual channel. 2133 speeds are nice jump though.

Now the for the decision should I wait to microcenter has one there deals where you buy the cpu get motherboard for 50$ and grab i7 4790k or wait for the chips with DDR4. See no game i play gives me any issues with current build other then Swtor and brute forcing that game with more power has been proven to mean very little in performance. What to do what to do.

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for this great review, Hilbert!

And, tsunami, I know what you mean :)
    Having 920 D myself, I have a feeling that it's old. It's one of greater periods that I had between upgrades. Well, I replaced graphics card, added some disks and replaced SSD after the old one died, but the CPU is still alive & kicking. I'm missing SATA 3 and USB 3 a bit, as well as instant UEAF boot times that my laptop (ThinkPad W520 with 2720QM) offers, but the CPU is pretty much ok... well maybe power usage could be lower, as it would result in less heat in summer and less noise. At stock 2.66 it wasn't that impressive, but any OC north to 3.5 is really good.

To be honest, in terms of pure CPU power, I'm not missing anything except for Visual Studio plugins (yeah, pure VS is snappy even on old computer, but extensions can kill any CPU), and regarding games... no, BF4 runs fine, the problem is with Diablo 3. Yeah, I launched MSI Afterburner to measure the GPU load. It usually hovers around 20-30%, rarely exceeds 50%. But there are moments, when frame rate drops and CPU seems to be the bottleneck. Maybe if I bought 120Hz+ monitor, I'd want more CPU power.

And to buy or to wait? It's difficult. The CPUs scheduled to launch later this year will be way more expensive for sure, and mobos will cost more, and RAM (DDR4 will be cheaper than DDR3, but not today). I think that if you're on the old 9xx Bloomfield CPU, you may use it for another year or get 4790K now and enjoy it. I have a feeling that it will be similar as it was with the LGA2011 CPUs that they didn't offer anything fancy for a gamer unless you invested in the more expensive ones. So if you have unlimited budget, upgrading at the end of the year may be good, but if not, I'd just forget it or get 4790K right away. DDR4 and new storage interfaces need some time to get mature. There may be some new and interesting technologies in 2 years that would make upgrade from 4790K worth it, but do we really care? If we're sitting on 5-year old rigs, an upgrade to Devil's Canyon might as well last for another 5 years or so.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    2400mhz is nice too :nerd:
    [​IMG]

20. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    -Tj- its **** mate