Watch Dogs Nvidia PC Tech Video

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thats nuts boycotting TWIMTBP titles, idc if I play those games or amd evolved thats irrelevant to me.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Fragments the library of games for the same platform. Doesn't bother everyone obviously. Jumping between UI's, so to include Origin,Steam and Uplay you have 3 UI's and 2 UI's just in Windows 8 alone by default but still it's not a very streamlined experience despite their similarities as far as UI's go, they are still a visual jutter. Of course then it's likely that most have different sign on names for each one. Uplay also clutters their interface with way too much crap and promotions.

I boot directly into Steam big screen with explorer turned off so it resembles SteamOS, so trying to streamline it with a gamepad is a pain at least until Valve's new controller comes out to help bridge that gap somewhat but Uplay doesn't help thats for sure.

But of course that's why I have a PS4 for.

3. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    So much QQ... it will be worse with Witcher 3.

Anywho, I can't wait for this game. If it sucks I will be angry. Ubisoft is improving, albeit slowly...

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Working fine on my GPU so I really don't care.

Also, StarSwarm benchmark has it, BF4 has it, Thief has it.

Released
    Battlefield 4 – (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
    Thief – (Developed by Eidos), no Mantle yet
    Need for Speed Rivals — (Developed by Ghost Games), no Mantle yet

Unreleased
    Star Citizen – (Developed by Cloud Imperium Games, Behaviour Interactive)
    Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare –(Developed by PopCap Games)
    Sniper Elite 3 – (Developed by Rebellion)
    Dragon Age: Inquisition – (Developed by BioWare/Frostbite Team)
    Havana (codename) – (Developed by Visceral Games/Frostbite Team)
    Mars (codename) – (Developed by Mohawk Games/Oxide Games)
    Mass Effect (untitled) – (Developed by BioWare/Frostbite Team)
    Mirror’s Edge 2 – (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
    Star Control – (Developed by Stardock/Oxide Games)
    Star Wars: Battlefront — (Developed by DICE/Frostbite Team)
    Unannounced title — (Developed by Oxide Games)

Frostbite and Cryengine both have Mantle support, that is two massive engines ready to use that extra headroom.

Sorry but littering the market with useless technology like PhsyX, TXAA, etc that give little to no impact of gaming is beyond me. At least AMD have said that Mantle is open to other GPU architectures not just GCN.

DX12 will be massive on its release with the extra work done on lowering the overhead like Mantle. But its because of Mantle's existence that it has prompted Nvidia and Microsoft to act. I will hold my breathe though as the past few DX releases have been abysmal to say the least. DX10, 10.1, DX11 was good, and DX11.1 has basically never been used properly.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont even understand why this discussion about features of nvidia, or AMD ones have started. who concern only the TXAA in this game anyway.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Because some people love to complain, and it appears to be contagious.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    PhysX is currently the best and most versatile physics middleware software for games, so it's hardly useless. :rolleyes: And TXAA nearly totally eliminates temporal aliasing whilst providing superior jaggy removal to other forms of AA and maintaining high performance. The only downside is a slight bit of blur..

You have got to be kidding me. DX12 was in development long before Mantle was even announced. Do you honestly think that Microsoft and NVidia put together the entire DX12 spec complete with a working demo and drivers in the space of a few months as a reaction to Mantle?

DX11.1 is used in the Frostbite 3 engine, and is a big part of how NVidia is able to compete very well with AMD even when the latter is using Mantle.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    You should know, that AMD is premilinary the entreprise who developp since years DirectX with Microsoft, and its not an hazard if most of Mantle is part of DX12, or if DX12 codes is looking really similar to Mantles .... As AMD have share all their Mantle advancement since years to Microsoft ( and who is too exposed in the DirectX HSL of the XboxOne ( who is a low level API version of DirectX who work exclusively on AMD GCN architecture )

The second thing, nearly all DirectX features are developped by AMD since years and years.. and even more since DX11. ( 90% of the features you find on DX, are made by AMD ), ( just open the SDK, the label of AMD is everywhere )

DX11.1 is not supported by Nvidia hardware, only on a features level.. because Nvidia have not wanted to include the hardware needed for it ( hardware level: DX11, software level DX11.1 ).. Its not really important but when you are speaking about DX11.1 features, forget Nvidia..

The developper of Battlefield, include the Nvidia optimisations called NvAPI for optimize the games for Nvidia cards ( and the AMD ones for the AMD GPU'S ) I dont know why you relate DX11.1 to it, NvAPI, Its a library of tools and optimization destined to "specifically" optimize Nvidia gpu's but who can too be used for debug and monitor some aspect of the game.. ( as is the similar library of AMD destined to optimize the game for AMD gpu's ).

Developpers use this tools for help them optimize the games they are create for work well on the hardware who will be used for play thoses games.. the AMD tools and library and the Nvidia ones... Nothing to do with DX11.1.. ( i will not see a reason why a game working with DX11.1 should perform better on Nvidia hardware anyway )

Battlefield 4 have been developped for use DirectX first, Mantle have come after... in parrallel of it, really late ...

When you speak about MS who have take years for do an evolution of DirectX who exist since more of 10 years ... How many time do you think is AMD working on Mantle, a complete fresh and new API, who can use any graphic, compute, features used on DirectX and do run a game with all the DirectX11.1 features you are mentionning ? an API capable of replace at 100% directX ? Absoultey all graphics / codes features are similar..

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    haters gonna hate , and its always the opposite camp (especially on this forum) that hates things. isnt that remarkable ?
    TXAA,Physx,Mantle are all great in my book

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    DX12 runs on several architectures, and is backward compatible with DX11 to a large extent unlike Mantle. Of course there's going to be similarities, but to insinuate that Microsoft copied AMD is absurd..

So Microsoft and NVidia engineers were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs, whilst AMD engineers did all the work is what you're telling me?

Right...

The vast majority of DX11.1 is supported by NVidia in hardware, with the exception of two or three features which aren't necessary for gaming. If this were not the case, then you wouldn't see a significant increase in performance in Windows 8/8.1 with NVidia hardware in BF4.

In fact, you get a bigger performance increase using DX11.1 with NVidia than you do with AMD..

NVAPI has nothing to do with performance enhancement. NVAPI is used to allow games to interface with the drivers for certain features and settings like anisotropic filtering and others..

So basically you can access these settings directly from the game due to NVAPI rather than having to use the driver control panel.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    1) Nobody tell you they have copiate, but like AMD have work on DX HSL for the Xbox one and on DirectX12, they have do exactly like for DirectX 10-11, they have give their codes to MS for include them on DX12.

2) not roling their thumb, but they was more interested to developp their proprieaty features, nobody can blame them for it .. When AMD was trying to make them include in DirectX and bring them as standard.... Its why they are in DirectX.. ( and some from Nvidia are too in DirectX, they have developp and help to developp things nobody tell you they have not do anythings )

3) The NvAPI on developper side, is a complete library of tools for optimze the games now... Its used by Dice for monitor, optimize the game on Nvidia hardware for make it run like it should on them since BF2.. but since 2-3 years the tools and library have been laregely enhanced with many features who help developpers to obtain the performance then want .. ( yes it interface with the driver, its the base if you want good performance in a game on an hardware.. ) ..

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    They why did that amd guy say there would be no dx12?

13. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    May be, because the DirectX12 API has nothing to do with previous versions of DirectX. It is a completely new API, and calling them DirextX is only a brilliant marketing move, to facilitate making of the new Microsoft API as standard. Compatibility with previous versions can be easily achieved by putting in the installation package both the old and the new Direct X API’s library.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Nah, he sure was not in the loop when he made that statement, calling the next dx something other than dx12 sounds like an excuse.

15. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    I think the general idea of all modern "close to metal" API's was born as a PS3 API. Then PS4 API and Mantle was made thanks to the experience from the cooperation of AMD and Sony. Finally, thanks to the collaboration of AMD and Microsoft was born DirectX12. Of course, I'm not absolutely sure if I'm right, but I think this is the most likely way the development of new API's.
    Mantle is very close to the PS4 API. Will see how will work DX12.

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    back on topic, picked this up on preorder for 26euro on G2A.com for 26 euro( was cheaper i know ), anyways hope its somewhat decent, the preorder price seems to be climbing everywhere.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    DX12 have been developped in parrallel of DirectXPC ... mostly for consoles ..
    DX12 is the name used today, but yesterday it was only a project. DirectX12 actually, for what we know today, is really similar of DX11 HSL, the API who is made for the XBox One.. a low level hardware API who is made for the hardware insinde the Xbox one (AMD GCN based )

In the presentation of the fist Mantle iteration, a big question, was developpers have asking about low level API and control for years, and the response was everyone, inlcuding Nvidia and MS have been approached for it and have say NO.. Nvidia wanted only this approach for their hardware and MS, dont wanted it.... AMD have say, we can developp it.. its a part of the explanation given in the first conferences about "why Mantle" ( we could imagine, there's ofc a bit of marketing behind this sentences ) ...

AMD work on low level API since many years, way before it was called Mantle, and Nvidia too ( most library of Nvidia used in games, like gamewok are indeed made for work "close to the metal" ).. MS was working too in this, because their consoles API are based on it... MS was just think it is not a good idea for PC..

Mantle is something like a jab in the environnement of the PC, its not a library, its not features bases, its just an API, like is OpenGL and DirectX, but it cover absolutely everything who can be made and deliver with both OpenGL and DirectX.. many features on DirectX could be exclusive and Nvidia, if they wanted to provide it could not use them in their own API.. AMD can, because, thoses features in DX11 are made from them..

We have 2 API, OpenGL, and DirectX, when OpenGL want to use the same shaders 5 level features of DirectX, they need to developp the codes for it..

When Mantle want to use the codes developped for DirectX shader level 5, they dont need to developp a new code for it, they just use it ( because they have develop it for DirectX, and when offer it to DirectX, they dont need to develeopp it again ), same is going for the geometry, triangles, tesselations, particules, MSAA ( developped by ATI on first ), light , forward rendering mething, back rendering method, deferred rendering method..

YOu got BF4 who run asbolutely similary on DirectX 11.1, and Mantle.. why ? why Mantle API is able to reproduce and use any graphics, codes features of Battlefield with absolutely no differences ?

if you want to port BF4 to OpenGL, you will neeed to replace any "features" by the equivalent ones on OpenGL.. With Mantle.. no problems, every features graphics or other are part of AMD developements.

How a beta API is able to do this ? Everyone have watch performances, but have you watch that this new API, is just able to replace with now viewable changes, DirectX or OpenGL ? thats a nice complex API... Its like if the first iteration of Linux was able to completely replace windows ( it was hardly possible )..

Only the fact that this API is completely able to use any features you find on DirectX 11 ( 11.1 or 12 ) and replace them, is absolutely big... specially for the first time it is shown and used on the public and still in beta.. its a big premiere in the software world.... Im not amazed by the performance, personnally im amazed by the fact, a game developped for running in DirectX, when using Mantle is absolutely the same, i need to check the setting menu for know if i am playing under Mantle or DirectX.. For a beta API this is just a spectacular vision... Anyone who want to develop a new API could try to get their beta and even Alpha version applied to a game who have the same result of DirectX and OpenGL who exist for years, i wish them good luck..

Last edited: May 9, 2014