HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    And you don't notice any flickering or triangles? Try T-Side cs_office or de_mirage.

Do you have antialiasing on? If so, are jaggies still visible (everywhere)?

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    No idea, I don't own CS:GO :)
    It was MrBonk who posted about HBAO+ in that game.
    Only thing I said was, that "0x0000002C" is the official AO profile in the driver.
    Feel free to find a better AO profile, if you can.

But I do know alot about the Source engine in general.
    I recommend you disable ingame MSAA, and instead force 8xQ MSAA+8xSGSSAA with the "0x000000C0" AA flag.
    This combined with official "Quality" HBAO+ should give you a smooth and "calm" image.

3. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Oops sorry, thought you were MrBonk haha. The official flag does not work right (for me). Flickering on corners and jaggies everywhere (with AA). I don't like using SGSSAA with Source engine either cause it makes thigs blurry.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    MrBonk, I have a few "bugfixes" to the otherwise excellent HBAO+ list.
    The links for "Darksiders 2" and "How to Survive" are still broken.
    Also I found a reference for the "Surgeon Simulator 2013" entry.
    Furthermore, I completely rewrote my "Far Cry 2" and "Mass Effect 2" HBAO+ guides:

Darksiders 2:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10086910&postcount=1323

Far Cry 2:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10133667&postcount=5604

How to Survive:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10064692&postcount=5374

Mass Effect 2:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9616005&postcount=783

Surgeon Simulator 2013:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10040602&postcount=5281

Based on this information, I suggest you change the "0x00000028" profile for FC2 to "0x000A0028", and remove the comment about SLI scaling in ME2.
    The performance problems in ME2 had nothing to do with SLI after all, but was just the result of using the wrong AO profile :)
    The good news is, that it gave me an opportunity to retest "0x00000020" in ME2, and it doesn't seem like this AO profile suffers from the same problems as in ME1.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yes it certainly can. Thanks :)

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    yes. 334.89
    Yes this is very true. The only thing we can do without any help from Nvidia is Trial and Error :(
    I haven't seen anything flickering on and off without any issue. I played several matches of Hostage on Office yesterday without any issues on 334.89. But I will keep a look out for them.

I am playing with only 4xMSAA in game so I can maintain at least 110 FPS at 1600x900 with my GTX 570.

SGSSAA really isn't terribly beneficial for me in CS:Go (Not at least with my current setup. I can't play CS:Go without at least 100FPS). The Source Engine itself has some deep rooted problems with aliasing. Much persists even after even the best kind of AA. (But SGSSAA is never blurry for me with the right flags. With some games and no bits I actually prefer the blur you get with 4x4 OGSSAA as it looks just wonderful for me. (Mostly just Left 4 Dead 2) (See screens here of no bits 4x4:)
    Thank you. Also to bolded part: I mentioned that before remember ? But you were adamant about SLI so I left it in case it might actually be true :p
    -Current Request Queue:-
    1. Risen 2
    2. MX vs ATV Reflex
    3. Ghost Recon Future Soldier

7. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    The flickering happens in corners and it's real noticeable. I don't know how to describe it but it's there. I'm using 331.82 drivers. Maybe if I update to 335.xx it will go away? I'll give it a shot tomorrow if I have the time.

What flags are you using with SGSSAA?

Also, L4D2 looks great for me with HBAO. No problems here. Only CS:GO gives me problems.

8. Mangix

Mangix Guest

Anyone try Dota 2? I tried with the CS:GO flag but get flickering during Bounty Hunter's Shadow Walk for example.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    SGSSAA works with CS:GO without issue with 0x000000C0 Aside from some minor issues in with the main menu UI being a little blurry from SGSSAA trying to AA it. (Not something can fix really)

Is this the kind of flickering you are experiencing?? https://mega.co.nz/#!rdxgQQIa!dipuDThTRqgq-0E4-8Z_TG_sKBp11NZkRuuLE9wC6z0

After looking for it with SGSSAA on, I can definitely see what you mean I think. I did notice the corner thing, but it's not all that terrible (Better than nothing unfortunately and still somewhat better than bog SSAO) Playing with just 4xMSAA I didn't notice the other flickering issues because there is still so much aliasing I guess. Plus in the heat of battle, not totally paying attention to everything.

10. Pixelbrecher

Pixelbrecher Guest

GPU:
    gtx780oc gtx580PhysX
    Bully Scholarship Edition - 0x0000002D (MechWarrior Online)

works, but flickers sometimes,

maybe someone with triple graphics sets try this flag by GTA IV - seems to work, but 4 fps... dont know :) (no Ambient Occlusion!!!)

This Flag works for Dungeon Siege 3 too.

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have gained a lot more experience in testing AO profiles, since I wrote that.
    Now I understand, that weird slowdowns with drops in GPU usage are a common problem when forcing AO with an "unsuitable" profile.

Also, I think we should change the reference for ME2 to this post, as it contains more detailed information:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9616005&postcount=783

Edit:

Never mind about the reference change for ME2.
    I simply changed the contents of the post you are already referencing:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10113997&postcount=5491

So no need for you to change anything in the list on page 1 :)

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Please make proper screenshot comparisons for each game, where AO makes a VISUAL difference.

Just two screens per game, one with AO enabled and one without (preferably with FPS and GPU usage included).
    Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes per game :)

14. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    The corner thing is not bad on some maps but others, it ruins the image quality IMO. I'd rather leave AO off. And the aliasing you're seeing with 4xMSAA is because there's some incompatibility between AA, HBAO and CS:GO. Basically, AA is not getting applied correctly. Try turning HBAO off, the image cleans up considerably.

Your link is not working for me but it sounds like we have similar observations, it's just that I'm more sensitive to the flaws. Could you re-upload your screenshots? Thanks for the SGSSAA bit btw, I'll try it out.

15. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    Iam looking for a flag for Star Wars The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith edition,anyone have a working one for this game?thanks

16. Pixelbrecher

Pixelbrecher Guest

GPU:
    gtx780oc gtx580PhysX
    Man, ****. I was taking screenshots from Bully and therefore i turn off "AO" AO was shadow flickering..

And my imagination sad AO too for Dungeon Siege 3. Has this game ingame AO? The flag dont turn on AO. And dont turn off, too :wanker:

Anyway, it was a short afternoon ;) sorry for this mess. And my english :bang:

good idea the screenshots

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Which specific AO flags did you try?
    Did any of them have any effect on performance, VRAM or GPU usage or visuals?
    If so, then try combining the individual AO bits contained in those flags into the "final" AO profile.
    And if you haven't done so already, I would suggest you try the most "aggressive" AO flags first, like "0x0000002D", "0x0000002B" or maybe "0x0000000F" just to see if they have any effect.

Please report back with your findings, even if you are unsuccessful in finding a perfect AO flag :)
    And remember to take comparison screenshots along the way, even if you don't think a specific AO flag is doing anything.

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You need to download the Mega plugin for your browser probably. And also, with HBAO+ and 4xMSAA they are not conflicting for me at all.

It's just that CS:GO and the source engine that is the source of the issue. MSAA just isn't enough for CS:GO that's all. Geometry is getting AA'd but there are still many issues that MSAA just can't get. But it is still being applied properly :)

19. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    does anyone know hbao+ flag for bulletstorm plz tanxxxxxxxxx

20. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks for the suggestion mate!i was tried the flag for the games which using the GTAIV engines,because as i know the game using the same engine of GTAIV,but none of them works.ill be try what you suggested,and let you know if it is work or not.Thanks again