8GB Sapphire Radeon R9 290X TOXIC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 13, 2014.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    AA requires massive amounts of ram.

if you are going to xfire this puppy, you will be cranking up the AA requireing more memory.

Paritucualrily 8x-16xAA at 4K

2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Am I the only gamer who thinks AA looks awfully fuzzy & unappealing? I never use it in any game. ...1080p btw.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    it depends on how you are using it.

MLAA is certainly fuzzy.

SSAA with edge detect not so much.

4. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    A Heavily modded (+enb+ Ugrids 7/9) Skyrim exceeds 4 GB Vidmem here in 4K in some scenes. (I havn't much succes with SKSE and the mempatch in getting it under 4GB)

5. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Heavy modded games need VRAM i welcomed my 4gb card with Skyrim using 4k textures. Mempatch is best happend for Skyrim sinds longtime. No CTD or any long loadingtimes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope, you're not alone.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^+1 I don't use much if any AA.

8. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    At 1080p, no AA looks awful
    MSAA and SSAA look great, but any post processed AA looks blurry
    And btw more than 2x AA in 4K is utterly useless

9. zzzaac

zzzaac Guest

GPU:
    -
    Oh O, the big bad word. By the time you use 6/7GB of VRam there will be faster cards with more vRAM available. Not to mention this card will be slower than them.

No doubt this is for ePeen,, the price I expect for this will be in the upper GTX 780Ti, especially with the price hikes the R9's are having.

And right now, with some 4K monitors being castrated to 30hz, methink 4K is still not ready for prime time, and only 0.01% will use it for gaming

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That truely depends on the size of the screen. A 21.5" screen at 1080 has a very dense ppi. You really don't need AA at that screen size.

11. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well on my 24inch monitors (very close to 21inch) the jaggies are still quite there, you'd have to sit very far away not to notice
    If you don't, well good for you as games will run a whole lot better
    But AA is there for a reason. Not many people play on smaller than 21inch, and 1080p has been the standard for a while

21.5inch 1080p: 102 ppi
    24inch 1080p: 91 ppi
    27inch 1440p: 108 ppi
    30inch 4k: 146 ppi

12. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    When we come to the point where 8GB VRAM is needed, imagine the horsepower that will be required. Certainly this card won't have it.

As being said above, it's a marketing stand and nothing more.

13. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I have yet to see the need for more than 2xAA at 1440p. This probably will remain true at UHD resolution.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    hmmm maybe i sell my two cards and get this one for my eyefinity

15. anubis44

anubis44 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290
    "Remember people, crossfiring doesn't actually double your VRAM. In theory, it does, but during gameplay both GPUs share almost entirely the same data, with some minor differences here and there. I would sincerely love to be proven wrong about this."

I'm starting to suspect there may be more to this 8GB VRAM than may be obvious right now. The comment above made me think, and what he's saying is certainly true of AFR (alternate frame rendering) but doesn't apply to SFR (split frame rendering). In fact, with SFR, absolutely none of the data in the first graphics card's buffer need be duplicated in the second card's buffer at all. In this way, SFR might allow the combination of two graphics card's memory addresses into one large unified memory space of 16GB, using virtual memory addressing. Three graphics cards would be able to combine their memory into an even larger virtual address space of 24GB, etc.

Methinks AMD has something pretty big up their sleeve, and those who just bought or are buying nVidia 970/980 cards might be a little bit sorry when we find out just what it is.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The vram is mirrored between both cards, not combined.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, which is why my GPU that says 8GB vRAM on the box, is actually lying

18. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Even if you have 12gb videocard skyrim will get it on it´s knee´s like an arrow:)

Skyrim is not made for 4k textures and enb it's all a hacked way(boris "ENB"Voronsov) to make it posible, but it will never be smooth ride with skyrim.

It will how ever looks great for a DX9 because of awesome mods and ENB.

Better hope next installment Elder Scroll VI will need more use of new tech in DX12?

Or next years The Witcher 3 DX11?

19. anubis44

anubis44 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290
    I don`t think you quite understand how AFR and SFR work. With AFR, which is the most common form of multi-GPU rendering, you`re absolutely correct. But with SFR, this is not the case.

With alternate frame rendering, you must render an entire screen sized frame within the VRAM of each card. As soon as card 1 is finished, it proceeds to flush its memory and start rendering the frame after card 2, and card 2 finishes its rendering of an entire screen size frame, etc. With split frame rendering, each card is rendering part of the frame, eg. with 2 cards, card 1 might rendering the top half of a frame, and card 2 might render the bottom half of the frame. In other words, you do not need to duplicate the contents of card 1 with card 2. Since card 2 can have entirely different data from card 1, it in effect means you can add the video memory together to create a virtual address space that is twice as large as the video memory of one card, duplicated.

In the case of 3 video cards, each card could render one third of the screen frame, etc.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Split frame render isn't even an option anymore in the NVCP it gave a tremendous performance decrease vs AFR.