AMD Mantle Performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Mantle is amazing. It's like going from s3 Virge to 3Dfx Voodoo. It's that good.

2. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    The performance increase depends entirely on the power of the CPU. The more powerful the CPU, the less the end user will notice Mantle's effects. The effects are still there even though the end use does not notice them (the CPU's load is still greatly reduced), but if the CPU was never even close to a bottleneck the end user will not care.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    1) Have you used it?
    2) Have you used with Crossfire?
    3) Do you already know upcoming features to Mantle, that never gonna exists on DirectX?

4. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti

Yes...I am from the future, sent back solely to post on Guru3D. Really? What king of drugs do you have to be in to think that?

AMD said what I posted. Mantle's purpose us to reduce CPU use. This is known.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You are rude.

Give me a link that says that Mantle purpose is only to reduce CPU usage.
    Mantle gives more controls to developers over GPU, which is not only CPU bound.

Now, have you used 7950 in crossfire as example with Mantle (eclap's setup) and didn't notice any changes?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not true. You can have a 4960x in there and still get massive gains if you run crossfire. I'm running a 2500k at 4.5ghz and I got a huge fps boost in bf4. Not saying 2500k is a monster, but it sure ain't a slouch.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think people should give it time. its just the first release, things will greatly improve over time.
    I do think its pretty useless to nvidia users though, since its a entirely different architecture and AMD and Nvidia are not exactly best friends lol

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Agreed. It can only get better, you can tell it's in a very early stage. but when it works, it's magic. I really hope it catches on and sways devs to develop for it. Not for AMD's sake, but for gamer's sake. D3D has to go, after seeing Mantle in action, I'm convinced it has to go.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    if it goes we will never be able to use injectors like sweetfx and enbseries again (since they are build on the dx library, in enb's case very specific) , so im not really sure that is a good idea.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There's always be people out there who will make something similar for the next api, with time, I'm sure.

11. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    they "only" have to adapt the injectors, or others will come...

anyways I only use ENBs in games where i have like a thousand FPS, so dx wont hurt there. Not a real fan of injectors in general anwyays, apart from SMAA, I usually prefer to use developers point of view of the game.

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im not too convinced about this since when you look at opengl which has been around quite long, there arent any at all. or atleast not at the same level als the dx ones.

sure , and i will win the lottery next week. there is 0 guarantee there will be any.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Maybe its simply because there were no need for it. People wanted to play popular games with shiner effects.
    Now as we talk about popular games, in most cases DirectX pops up naturally.

We'll know the truth with time.
    Hell, maybe you will be able to adjust all those effects and more in future Catalyst.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    How many OpenGL games is there? Nobody will develop an injector for a dead api.

15. neliz

neliz Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X GAMING 4G
    Funny, I play Starbound and it has a regular "Launch Starbound" (DX) and a "Launch Starbound OpenGL"

Guess which version NEVER starts.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    DX version?

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    then i'll do one :3eyes:

its all about number of games supporting it, anyways +10% fps when im short of FPS > injector IMO (most people only destroys games with injectors, or makes them look great in screenshots, but crappy and tiring in gameplay). In fact, I never use injectors on games where I don't have excess of FPS.

18. neliz

neliz Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X GAMING 4G
    Y.. no...

I haven't been able to run it on my amd and nvidia rig in OGL.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    maybe the games are lacking , but its far from dead.
    AMD and Nvidia still create stuff for it.

read their opengl developers pages if you dont believe me.

would be good if you made one for mantle. guess thats a promis you will have to keep now :)

This would be the best solution, but im not quite sure amd or nvidia are quite open to this tbh

Tbh i get the feeling i cant say one bad point about mantle and i end up being wrong in any way.

20. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    The kitchen got too hot? Stay out if you cannot stand the heat. In other words, if you are snarky, you should expect to have snarky tossed back at you. You ask me if I know the future and I tell you yes, I am from the future...

Ahhh, the old "I will invent something you never said, then tell you to support that statement" routine. Nope, since I never said that, I will not support it.

What I WILL do is support the statement I actually made. That is very easy to do:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/mantle/Pages/mantle.aspx

TADA! You are welcome.