AMD Mantle Performance review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 1, 2014.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Image Microsoft releasing completely new DirectX, would you expect it to work flawlessly on day 1?

The news that mantle here and its "working" is success to me.
    Now its time for Mantle to mature, fixing current issues and providing new features.

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Mantle is really great and has loads of potential. It's definitely a step in the right direction. I think we should review Mantle again when THIEF launches. We should have more stable/mature drivers by then with all the little issues ironed out.

The performance gain is there across the board.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ok, cool. Thanks for that. :) I agree, that and/ or wait for a game that was solely designed with Mantle in mind

Of course not, it was just difficult from all the bitchyness in thius thread to know how performance was for anyone but Hilbert.

Thanks for the reply:).

So status is pretty much: Mantle is out, now real world optimization needs to happen, which will happen via driver updates etc.

I just hope it doesnt go the way of physx and end up another pointless gimmick (Im not having a go at you sli).

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    haha no worries.
    *note to self: lurk quieter in morning. :p
    hopefully H. will have some nice findings for us.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    You've got it all wrong friend. While all the AMD fanboys were constantly repeating this 40% and other "best case" scenario's while completely ignoring the "up to" part, people like myself had a realistic expectation of performance especially after AMD's claims prior to bulldozer and steamroller.

I just don't get suckered into ANY inflated marketing BS regardless of what company it comes out of. nV is no different.

Why? Are you getting tired of looking stupid for free?

NVAPI has been doing what Mantle does for a decade now. Low level hardware access and it's already part of Frostbite 3. why would nV spend a bunch of money developing a new API just so they can give it away for free to AMD? Makes no sense.

Everyone here knows what "beta" means. Your pathetic attempts at insulting anyone who disagrees with your blind fanboyism are getting quite old.

Ahh... more insults. i guess that using facts and proper debate tactics would be asking too much.

Anyone who likes good image quality cares about AA.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    @Andrew LB
    So hows Mantle working out for you?

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thing is, its not up to AMD to fix mantle.
    AFAIK mantle is out and mostly done. In battlefield 4 case, it's up to Dice to fix their implementation of Mantle (brightness bug, etc...)
    I might be wrong though...

8. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I thought I have seen worst of Green v Red fanboyism but wow this really stirred up the pot.

Benchmarks are out with performance gain that has varying range to it (less CPU bottle necked, less gain), there are known bugs, it's only being used in one game (big title but still a single game) ATM.

Chill the hell out on both side people. Get some perspective. It's clearly not the savior that would boost PC gaming standards across the board, but neither is it some garbageware that warrants dismissal on sight.

Look at what brand loyalty does to some of you guys. It's like AMD/Nvidia saved your life and now you must defend their reputation no matter what it takes.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^^^This

10. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    :stewpid:

Running my X58 platform since release and hell at 4.4Ghz my 980X is still a beast.

Ow and NVAPI is nothing compared to Mantle. It gives developers some nice little tricks when working with Nvidia cards and thats it.

Some guy at Dice said it himself.

11. neliz

neliz Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X GAMING 4G
    Frostbite 2&3 is already using NVAPI to maximize performance.

12. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Ahh thats the quote i was looking for. And like i said little ''smal'' tricks.

Nothing compared to Mantle and what it does. I hate it when Nvidot fanboys screaming crap about NVAPI and dont even know what it is.

Hell free performance is always welcome. Mantle/AMD goodjob.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    NVAPI, eh? Right.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And as usual, fact completely escapes you.

It wasn't AMD claiming "up to 40%" it was the devs themselves. AMD's statement was that performance gains would be dependent on the hardware used.

Never knew the "I'm right, you're wrong because I said" approach was a "proper debate tactic..... I guess when that's the only approach YOU can use....

Wow....I'm getting called a "fanboy" again. Lets see, I own 6 computers. 5 have Intel processors. 2 have nVidia graphics. 2 (laptops) use Intel graphics and 2 have AMD.... Yep, I'm sure a "fanboy"....

NVAPI is nothing like Mantle. Maybe you should actually try reading for once....
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi

In the last several months I've probably corrected more than a dozen of your factless posts..... I'm really not surprised that you're the one who felt offended by my post seeing as you appear to know less about computers than my 6.y.o son does.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I would have liked to have seen mantle be ubiquitous in gaming and not need an engine to support it for it to do what it does now that would have been a worthwhile invention

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Regardless of where Mantle goes from here, if it gets the devs at MS to get off their asses and fix the problems with DirectX, Mantle will have been a success....

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    NVAPI has nothing to do with Mantle. It is not comparable at all and it is used for other things.

18. framesx2x

framesx2x New Member

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080x2
    hi, all

i install this driver and it working just fine, no problem or errors or crashes...
    what i did first was i downloaded the driver AMD web-site, 14.1 without mentle package or pitch..
    So these are my steps, how to install 14.1 mentle 1.6 driver. on windows pro 8.1 64bits
    1) Uninstall 13.12 driver. and rebooted.
    2) Remove AMD Driver manually from windows registry. and rebooted
    3) Install AMD driver 14.1 without mentle 1.6, and rebooted
    4) Install MSI afterburn.
    5) And then ran BF4, when BF4 ran, it requested for a patch update. so i click on update Patch. tested BF4 everything good to go.
    6) I downloaded AMD 14.1 mentle 1.6 driver from guru3d web-site.
    7) install the new driver. And ran BF4 NOW i can select mentle setting, ultra high.
    No Problem or crash in windows pro 8.1 or Bf4 at all.
    play for 6 hours, my fps 187 to fps 200, my R9-290 temp are low them before about 67c to 73c. What an incredible performance. thanks AMD

19. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Agreed. Now, imagine DirectX (with fixes) being used with Mantle...the best of both worlds!

20. Jimster480

Jimster480 Member

GPU:
    6800, 6700xt,Vega56
    I tested mantle this morning... and I have a Phenom II x6 1045T @ 3.36Ghz & a Radeon 7870Ghz OC (1050/1250) 8GB DDR2 833. My gains in the starforce demo were from 30-500%. I went from 27.38 to 43.43 in the follow scenario and I went from 7.15 to 32.41 in the RTS scenario! That is just an insane gain!