[Application] Color Sustainer - ICC Profile Enforcer

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by yasamoka, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Do you use Color Sustainer in Global mode or in Mode-specific mode (v1.03.1+) ?

1. Global mode

34 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Mode-specific mode

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. A mix of the two

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What is Color Sustainer?

Color Sustainer is an application that allows you to associate color profiles with particular display modes. These profiles are loaded automatically for their respective modes as you:
    -switch displays on and off
    -add and remove displays
    -change display modes - from Windows, games, media players, this application, or any other application
    - load up full-screen applications (e.g. games) that reset and override (but not ignore) set color profiles.

Currently at version 1.05
    Download - http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/color_sustainer_download.html

This application requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable to be installed.

Special thanks to eclap, NCX, and several friends of mine for testing out the application and giving me very helpful feedback.

Extra special thanks to imryno for providing the steps needed to parse ICC profiles. Starting from v1.05, all ICC profiles that have VCGT tags (i.e. have gamma ramps that can loaded into the Video Card LUT) are supported.

Thanks to NCX for suggesting a catchy title.

Feedback will be very appreciated, and questions are welcome of course!

Sister thread is up, keeping a list of games and what they do with respect to color profiles (override, ignore, brightness slider, etc...).

Tip for Intel graphics users (including muxless switchable graphics I believe):

The Intel Graphics application that stays in the Tray overrides your color profiles when certain applications, including games, are launched. The override is permanent and you can no longer change color profiles. The solution is to keep the tray application closed and disable its running on startup. Look for the terms "Intel" and "Tray" for the application.

Some aspects of Color Management
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club/19670#post_22612393

2017-05-25: People, I am quitting this forum. Anyone who would like to ask anything, or even have a nice chat, contact me at yasamoka (at) hotmail (dot) com until I move this forum thread to my own forum if I see the need to make one.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Stuck.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Great stuff, ill try this out.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nice, finally it's out, you will have a lot of feedback. Great app, works a treat.

EDIT: you little legend, nice to see the startup and minimize to tray added!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Wow, this is awesome. So sorry I didn't have time to test this out for you earlier.

I'm just setting up my profiles now. Brilliant.:D

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice, what profiles you got guys? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Is this like Colour Profile keeper?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    erm... not realy.

It will automatically load your pre-selected color profiles for different refresh rates. You set up your refresh rates, and associate the color profiles you want to run with them. this will then automatically apply the correct color profile when you change your refresh rate.

example.

you run your desktop at 60hz. you launch a game that is set to 110hz. normally, the game would just keep running 110hz with the color profile you have for 60hz. with this, it'll automatically apply the 110hz profile for you, making the colors/gamma remain more accurate. Without this, you'd have gamma shift, everything would be darker, less accurate, black crush can occur.

It's a great app, a real godsend for those with overclocked monitors. Especially now, with the GUI. I tested for Yasa when it had to be done via cmd, it was a bit painful, won't lie, but now it's super easy to get everything setup, takes less than a minute.

Deathchild, I'm using Yasa's profiles for 60/96/110/120 (use the 110hz one for 120hz, it's close enough).

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Heh yeah, I'm using Yasas profiles too, they're the closest and best lol, imo. :D

Using 110hz profile for 116hz.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Glad you like it, guys.

eclap, good description but to add to that, it supports multi-monitor too, so let's say you have 3 monitors at home and you can only connect 2. You connect the first 2, detect, then associate their color profiles. You then substitute one of them for the third, detect, and associate its color profiles. Now, however you connect the monitors, each monitor will have the correct color profile applied for the respective display mode.

12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wow, just setup profiles, yasa, I gotta say, YOU'RE A GOD MAN!! :D ROFL

The GUI rocks, really makes it easy for the user. Before we had to do all manually. :) I highly recommend this program lol.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Guys, try out the LUT bit-depth option. Read more about it in the README if you want to get technical.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What the heck is that lol. XD:D

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll leave that to someone else :p

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    :D rofl

Oiiii! Add a donate button! :D rofl, I'll donate you 5$. :p I'm sure the others would like to too. :p :D

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, donations wouldn't be a bad idea.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Haha, no PayPal support here :(

Will have to mooch off my friend's lol. Will try.

About the LUT bit-depth, check out the linked post in the README. Remember that? You guys got AMD cards, so setting LUT bit-depth to 8-bit should show you some banding in here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Try it and tell me what you see.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But what does it do like is is better to use it? :D

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Nah, it looks worse, it's just to poke at Nvidia users and hopefully get Nvidia to do something about it. You'll see what I mean.