Throttling? Insufficient VRM cooling on 780 ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pangeltveit, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Those spikes are likely from vram or memory controller.

GPU artifacts look more like random flickering/flashing textures or colour distortion.

Gotta go back to work...seeya

2. pangeltveit

pangeltveit Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid

thanks for this, helps me figure out what I need to dial down :),

currently no artifacts at 1300mhz on the core, 3800mhz on the memory, all stock volts and power limit at 106%,

if the VRM temps are to be believed, I can crank the volts up a bit too, but as stated earlier, they are aluminum, so they arent the best, but I must live with them for now, and try to get a copper set that fits over the entire VRM portion of the PCB and that I can fasten with screws

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    aluminum heatsink + adhesive tape = bad

Find the Enzotech copper VRM heatsinks.

4. pangeltveit

pangeltveit Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
    Its thermal glue though, but yeah, I'll see if I can find some copper ones, but I want to be able to screw them down

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You're in Europe. Try to get your hands on Alpenfohn VRM & VRAM heatsinks. Those are nuts. Also, if you find some Fujipoly thermal pads, that would be great.

6. pangeltveit

pangeltveit Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
    The thing is, there is not alot of room around the VRM's, and they are also not so tall and there are other components that are almost just as tall right next to them, so it is really hard not to cause a short circuit, I was very generous with the insulation tape when I fitted the ones I have fitted at the moment.

[​IMG]

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Did you manage to flash? And how did you fare overclocking after this was done?

Very nice explanation, thanks :) Now I know that I probably only have core OC problems since my games just freeze or get minimised (driver resets). I've never had artefacts that are not checkerboard like.

8. gunrunner

gunrunner Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    I got yellow checkboard when I tried to overclock my memory above 7,500-7,550. And I do get the "flashing" missing "strips" ingame when my gpu is clocked to high. And blackscreen 20 second lock ups, that force close and goto desktop is gpu. A memory lockup will cause the entire pc to perminately lock up and require a power off shutdown.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    The issues with the small areas on the vrms and getting good contact with the ref 780 is same as the titan.
    I have the same sinks on my aio modded titan and will work fine but you need airflow for better heat convection.
    I have 1.35 at times in it with no issues....But I also have a 4 and a half inch x1/2inch wide heat sink on the back of the vrm power area with airflow on it also.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    What was the final outcome ? I am considering the Arctic Accelero Hybrid myself but if i doesnt cool the VRM's properly i will have to pass.

11. cravinmild

cravinmild Member

GPU:
    Asus/Matrix "P"/1.5g
    VRM could be an issue. Your aircooled vrm will still be the bottleneck. Don't use die temp as an indicator of safe operation. I would urge you to really think about overvolting that card, be careful. If vrm are causing your issue and while using stock volts there is no telling what may happen when introducing higher voltages. Do not use die temp as your "safe" indicator.

I would not put more voltage to this card then you would with stock air cooling.

My two cents, ive done this mod a time or two myself