Rebellion pursues AMD Mantle

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Rebellion is the latest game developer to join the AMD Mantle front. The company said they're working with AMD to add Mantle support to Asura, their in-house game engine. We are proud to announce tha...

Rebellion pursues AMD Mantle

2. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Excellent news, for $14 on Steam you can't beat Sniper Elite ***** Zombies 2, I was blown away by the graphics engine.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  4. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Thanks for sharing, Chris is such a brilliant person!

- 100,000 draw calls using Mantle! :O Time for nVidia to get on board or create their own API asap. Microsoft's Direct X is seriously holding back high-end gaming equipment

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No not their own API just no. They should totally jump mantle wagon... Tho they won't cause nvidia.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    ide rather not have another api by NVidia too many api will confuse things

7. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Oh I completely agree, it's just that would require nVidia to sort of admit that AMD had a good idea (which seems unlikely)

8. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    nVidia isn't going to jump in with Mantle, nor is it going to start it's own API. nVidia is far to busy taking over the HPC market to be bothered with taking care of its base.

9. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    This is great news, the more developers that get onboard with Mantle, the better.

10. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    NVidia will be corned to just HPC business by AMD capturing the whole gaming industry. In the future Nvidia's HPC business is also threaten by AMD's advanced heterogeneous architecture based APU's and GPU's. Nothing is granted forever dude......

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

11. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    It's good to see developers jumping in.
    Personally, i'm a huge nvidia fan,but if mantle proves to be a game changer for which nvidia has no answers,i'll gladly jump ship and join team RED.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ideally, I think it would be better if Microsoft got there finger out when it came to DirectX, to make it more efficient or closer to the metal, that way it would be the best of both worlds - not lots of different APIs, but efficient for the hardware (close to the metal). Although, I have to admit I don't know enough about how DirectX works as to whether it could be made more efficient or not anyway.

13. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    I'm thinking it will come down to the benchmarks. If several popular games suddenly show cheap AMD cards actually beating... say the 780, that's going to be embarrassing. Mantle will have to live up to the hype

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    One ballpark quote I've seen from what someone at AMD hinted at was a 20% increase in performance. That's a good chunk of performance, maybe not game changing, but I think it would sway some people to the Red.

15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    This is true but Microsoft are bi-polar on this issue. They both an incentive and disincentive to improve DirectX because they have a competing product in the BONE.

I think rather than deliberately keeping PC gaming down, they are just negligent. They are focused on the BONE and have to take a large part of the blame for the decline in PC gaming. That's why we're seeing things like the Linux based Steambox and Mantle appearing, they might well be the start of the Microsoft-free PC gaming era. Maybe it wont be such a bad thing really :)

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, good point!

17. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    A Microsoft free gaming era? Thats been my dream for years!

18. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    What if- Mantle api was eventually taken on by nVidia and Intel, improved by all three companies, and released for Linux as well? Startling to see that only a few steps are necessary to basically end Microsoft's rule of PC gaming... If they don't do something in the next couple of years, that's what will happen I think

19. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh that sounds like truly awesome stuff.