AMD expected to reach global GPU market share of 40% in 6 months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, is this prediction based on dedicated graphics....or the actual desktop graphics market? There's a big difference in market share between the 2....

AMD's drivers are no worse than NVidia's...

AMD's drivers are no worse than NVidia's...

That would be a major loss for consumers. Intel holds a majority of the desktop graphics market because the majority of PCs don't need a dedicated graphics card. Forcing all users to buy a dedicated card, would not only increase the price of pre-built computers but would also increase the prices we all pay for graphics cards.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    aw ok...

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    New name, but it's still basically ATI.

4. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    My point is they ran hot TK, i own a 470 love it. If watercooling for the 290x has proved anything it's that the stock cooler was completely inadequate for it. Those temps will come down and throttling will stop with custom cooling solutions.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_470_480_review,13.html

94C and 95C on reference coolers

Is hawaii a refresh? No, hence my comparison to 1st gen Fermi.

Speaking of your 580 what's a decent OC for one? Friend has one (though he's never OCed) he's considering it. I got 700/1750 with my 470 relatively easy, not that it's a large OC or anything but still.

I kind of miss the ATI name :(

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Beautifull so, they will pass from 38 to 40% ....

Seriously, this make years and years between Nvidia and AMD discrete gpu, the marketshare are nearly 60/40%, or 55/45,,, on the 5870 times, it have result in 52/48 ( for AMD )
    And this is good, this mean good competition on discrete gpu.. because both brand are really close ( its not like Samsung who have 2x time the marketshare of Apple in smartphones, or windows who have 90% of marketshare ) ( Samsung 38 %, Apple 12%, the third one is at 7% and all the rest of brand are share something like 1 to 5% )

What this news is about, AMD who have got a flat quarter, will come back on what it was stand 8 months ago ? In global GPU Marketshare, AMD is still way ahead of Nvidia ( with nearly 2x the marketshare of Nvidia ) .

@OPS, the card dont overheat at 94°C, this is the operational setting for the 290x ... the chips is trying to stay at this temp.. ( if lower it decrease the fanspeed, if higher it increase it... the TDP is too linked to it, as for the clockspeed.. ).. Its too bad the cooling is not more silent.. as it could have been an interessant point for explain how work powertune .

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    If you wanted to look stupid, you could have not doing it better .

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    they ran that hot cus the 480 was at a fan speed of only 71% at 94c. if you ran it at 100% fan speed like I did it was under 90c full load. sure it sounded like a hair dryer but I opted for lower temps at the expense of noise. my 580`s in summer hit around 83c and 80c in summer and around 8c less full load in winter. 900/4410. stock coolers agressive fan profile

8. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    This is good News of AMD and Nvidia prices here have been so bad in Australia 800$ for a 780 now down to 640$.

Not sure if trolling or just been stupid?.I have owned cards from both sides for years both have run hot at times both have had terrible drivers.