First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah I saw an explorer crash not long after updating to 8.1. It infuriates me to no end that MS won't just give a damn "upgrade ISO" that lets you clean install while using your Windows 8 key.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  3. MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 SSC
  4. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    How weird, looks like what caused this was when I installed the PCI bus driver (AMD chipset, I have to install it manually). I went back in the device manager and installed it again and my icons are back. Wild, wild world of PCs.

5. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    There something beter you can sugest?

6. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    If you have a legit win 8 upgrade key PM me to give you instructions on how to create an iso of 8.1 upgrade.But the best thing is that no windows installs are needed and you can do a clean install just like a retail copy.By the way there is (no whatsoever hacking or pirating involved in this process) .I got so p---d at M$$$$$ at having to install win 7 then win 8 and finally 8.1 and finally i have found a way to get around this.How the f---k do they expect people to use their operating system if they have to go through this painful and time consuming process and a total of over 5gb of updates to finally get 8.1 running.
    So far everything is working just fine just did a clean install with 100gb of free space on my ssd.

EDIT:Forgot to mention you get asked for your win 8 upgrade key during install not after.

(ADMINS if you think this post is somehow illegal in any way feel free to delete it but above all i don't want to get banned for this post)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did in in-place upgrade from Windows 8 Pro, electing to keep all my settings, apps and games.

To be honest, I've had very few issues although it may not seem like it. Most of my games and applications work absolutely fine (bar those resolution setting crashes I mentioned when playing a new game for the first time). I do have a lot of background processes running such as Stardock's Start8, ModernMix, Fences, ObjectDock, WindowsFX, WindowsBlinds and Decor8 as well as D3DOverrider and, of course, EVGA Precision X. In all there are about a dozen apps in the system tray alone so it's possible that one or more of those are causing some issues (although, again, I should point out that I'm running the same software I had for Windows 8 Pro when I didn't have the resolution crash issue).

I did look through the event log and noticed three recurring errors: one for DipAwayMode.exe (part of the ASUS AI Suite 3 which otherwise runs fine), another for a Broadcom WiFi driver (now fixed by uninstalling it from the control panel) and finally one for Crypographic services (again, fixed as it was a permissions error with one the Windows/WinSxS folders). The DipAwayMode.exe Kernelbase.dll crash is likely an issue with AI Suite 3 but doesn't seem to affect its functionality.

All in all, Windows 8.1 Pro seems to working fine for me except for some minor issues, most of them glitches with the operating system itself (e.g. the way it doesn't always focus the file overwrtie window and so on). Other than the strange issue with games crashing only when I first set the resolution I have no major problems with games except for FIFA 13 refusing to work (it runs fine with a cracked executable though!) and the outstanding problem I have with The Raven not running at all on Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro.

I think I've probably been very luck but then my Windows 8 Pro install isn't that old as it was installed clean back in June of this year when I built my current Haswell system.

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Did you perform FULL uninstall of RTSS (with old RTSS profiles removal) before installing it again?

9. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    RTSS was working fine for me with old profiles removal..

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    No, I only uninstalled then reinstalled the RTSS software itself so all my customised profiles were still there. I will backup these customised profiles and do the FULL uninstall as you suggested and see if that fixes the issue I'm having with games crashing when setting their screen resolutions.

I didn't delete the custom profiles because those are an accumulation of about 4+ years of tweaking and whatnot so I didn't want to lose them. However, if deleting them fixes the problem then I'll have to find a way of exporting the settings so I can recreate them.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, Unwinder.

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Simply reinstalling RTSS won't help. Application configuration file containing DX runtimes info from old OS need to be deleted. But if you don't want to lose the profiles, you may manually delete only the configuration, which is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\Config

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Unwinder - Again, thank you for your time. Much appreciated. :)

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    upgraded my bro windows 8 computer to 8.1 with no problems.

although I havent used booted and used 8.1 on my computer in a while now.

been booting into windows 7 lately.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Reinstall that Windows 8 manager and go to repair section and check most of the stuff (run its exe as admin)

In CMD
    1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth [Fix component store corruption - win8manager]
    2. sfc /scannow [windows file protection - win8manager]
    2.1 reran no1. if it finds anything, if still happening rerun no1 again until it passes.

3. Repair all System components - win8manager
    4. Rebuild WMI - win8manager [System Repair II tab]

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I already have an ISO of 8.1, the problem is that you can only get pro or core depending on the key you input (in my case pro). And oem keys don't work so I have no legit way to get a core ISO for my laptop to reset it and keep activation. Resetting with a pro ISO turns the install to pro which is retarded. Completely retarded. Ms is being a difficult child about the whole thing. Just let people clean install, my goodness.

16. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I keep running windows updates, but nothing comes up for 8.1?

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows Store is where you get the upgrade...

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've found some more Windows 8.1 incompatible games that previously worked on Windows 8. All of them are retail disc versions from Focus Home Entertainment and use their ACPC software (presumably DRM). They are Game of Thrones RPG, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Of Orcs and Men. They all cause ACPC to crash with error 0xE2003053.

I did a search for the error code on Google but it only revealed one solitary thread for Game of Thrones RPG. This thread had a link to a protection patch (v1.5.0) of the game so that now works. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything for the other two so they are now unplayable. I did try to download NoDVD cracks for them but those were only for the Steam versions and do not work with the retail disc versions ("Engine_Steam.dll" is missing, etc, etc). :(

*EDIT*
    I found a thread to do with this ACPC error, only this one is for Postal III: http://runningwithscissors.com/main/index.php?topic=1566.0

Looks like this is an incompatibility issue with Windows 8.1. As these are old games, it looks like it is up to Microsoft to fix this issue but my bet is that they won't. By the way, the Compatibility modes/Run as Admin do not work either on the game executables or on the ACPC.exe file.

*EDIT 2*
    The instructions and Protection Patch fixes to make the retail disc versions work with Windows 8.1 are in the following links:

Of Orc and Men

Game of Thrones RPG

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Note: Absolutely, outstanding support from Focus as they responding to my request for a protection patch for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes within an hour! /big thums up

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    found one hell of a glitch

I changed my hotmail password couple days ago

today I booted up and I enter the old password by mistake..

took forever for windows to say I entered wrong password.

I entered the right password. and it went the windows 8 setting up your apps screen, after that it went to a blank start menu.

logged out and back in and everything is normal again. expect my startmenu has no background...

20. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE

Ok thanks. I'll google windows store when home and take a look.