Microsoft Windows 8.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PantherX, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I tried windows 8.1 and although it works ok and seems lighter and a tad faster than win 7 i didnt like it for 2 things.

I cannot boot into safe mode unless i go through the sh11ty 5 stage process within windows which kinda defeats the purpose. What is the point of not being able to get into safe mode unless you need to go through windows proper boot itself? What happens if my machine just hangs on startup for some reason, i cannot get into safemode unless i boot into proper windows? Which i would never do if i could get into proper windows boot in the first place duh..... WTF? Dumass precedure by MS, i wonder what idiot designed it this way on Windows 8.1?

I also do not like the driver enforcement BS that you have to disable when installing drivers that are not certified.

Why have MS made it like this?? Backwards step in my opinion as with new technology, things are supposed to take a shorter amount of time while using less resources which is the complete opposite here.

Apart from these issues it was ok and i woulda kept it on my PC but i will be rolling back to windows 7 for the simple fact that its tried and tested and it works Flawlessley.

Not a bad OS but tbh i thought Vista was better, for once i should of actually believed the hype regarding Win 8.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You can boot to safe mode, if Windows 8/8.1 does not complete full boot to login in screen I believe after 3 tries the option of pressing F5 (or is it F8 can't remember off the top of my head) becomes valid for bringing up the menu which allows safe boot.

Driver enforcement thing you mentioned is the same as Windows 7, at least I noticed no difference.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    This is interesting, so you can click "OK to install driver" if you want a unofficial driver installed inside of windows without disabling the driver thingy from the windows boot menu ?
    I know kevsamiga1974 had some problems with it when he went modding for a windows 8 driver for legacy AMD cards.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    On my Windows 7 box I had to disable driver signature enforcement from the boot menu to allow unsigned drivers, just like I had to on Windows 8. You only have to do it once.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Enable Windows 8 safemode menu F8

Command Prompt:

Enable:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Disable:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Re booting into 8/8.1 safe mode, you can use easybcd to add that option to the boot menu.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that works great, thanks for posting

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :) No probs

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tried that and it dont work, tried it multiple times. Googling says you have to use the shiftkey and f8 or windows key and f8 or all three keys held down. Tbh its all aload of bollocks, typical Microsoft bolt on BS.
    Thanks, this works which i also found through googling but users shouldnt have too do that.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've found without editing anything, hitting F8 only once, during or just before POST finishes brings up the new safe mode options

We're used to mashing F8, but that doesn't seem to work in 8 / 8.1 - whereas only hitting it the once seems to do it

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
  12. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Yeah classicshell is great. After I installed that, I really don't have much I can complain about with Win8/8.1. I haven't installed it on my main system yet, although I was tempted to after reading a surprising amount of posts on teh Battlefield 4 beta forum talking about performance increases people were seeing by making the switch.

I remember watching a video before Win 8 came out about why they were changing the safe mode interface. Apparently, if you are using a SSD and have a Win 8 certified UEFI board, the system can blow through POST so fast on some systems that you have like a tenth of a second to hit the F8 key.

And Veteran, like rfalir said, enforced driver signing has been around for a while. However, with Win7, I believe it was only active on x64 systems for some reason. I think on x86 you were allowed to click a button to force a driver install. Now that I think about it, I think it was like that even when I had Vista x64

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im playing Assassins Creed 2 as i never got around to playing it and i heard it was good. When i load up the game the mouse freezes for a second on the menu screen, this happens around every 5 seconds. I think its mouse lag and it happens in 1 or 2 games also.

Does anybody know how to fix this?
    Seems to be only happening on Windows 8.1.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I even disabled all the crap in windows mouse settings and ran a mouse reg fix. I also changed ini. settings within these games and i also turned back to 60hz instead of 120hz running as Admin etc blah blah blah. After multiple reboots nothing would fix it. I used a few Retail cleaners also and still didnt fix it.

Until i used this free download called ADWcleaner, i dont know what it did but it fixed it in all games, Happy days!:)

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So which mouse you got?

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    G500.
    The games would hardfreeze for around 2 seconds and then refreeze again after 5 seconds. The app fixed it.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Just found out what is causing it specifically, its Aida 64, i noticed when i ran ADWcleaner it shutdown Aida 64's temperature sensor icons. So i re-enabled them and the stuttering is back. The Aida driver.sys cannot be used error is what i get when i load up Aida64. Its because of windows 8.

Its either that or because of use a portable version of Aida64 which requires no install and just works from .exe.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Ok :D Cause Roccat users have mouse problems with 8.1. That's why I wanted to know which mouse :eek:

Well there might be a change that makes Aida 64 unworkable. But well theres always that risk with new iteration of os.

19. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have the same mouse and had the fixes for mouse acceleration but I have never had that issue. Had the game installed for 2 years or so. I'm on Win 7.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah its because im using an outdated version of Aida64 on Win 8.1. All is good now, everything working ok.