Hynix FABs on fire after chemical explosion.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by JonasBeckman, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/hynix_memory_plants_on_fire_after_chemical_explosion.html

For the workers on those plants I hope injuries and at worst deaths were kept low but I guess we'll know more as further info is released on what has happened, also as a effect I guess RAM prices will go up?

EDIT: Ah good it seems no-one was killed at least.

2. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I already see years of price fixing like with hard drives... Anyway, I'm glad there were no fatalities.

3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Am afraid you are right buddy. This is gonna be expensive two years for graphics aficionados..crap:puke2:

4. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Whoa wait a minute, I thought this was a joke and that this was done as a publicity act to promote the new graphic cards from AMD. But I was mistaken, my eyes are in tears now :*( I hope the prices won't be as high as it was with WD HDDs, because I plan to upgrade my GTX 670 for GTX 770 or 780 possibly in the upcoming months

5. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    Don't they have insurance? I'm pretty sure fires and natural disaster are 100% covered. It's all a marketing scam IMO.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why the hell does everything need to become a conspiracy?

And a FAB isn't built overnight. Each one takes years to build; they are like starships from the future inside:

http://youtu.be/SeGqCl3YAaQ

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I hadn't heard about that? I'll have to check that in case it's how it actually is and other websites started picking it up as a real event, happens pretty often on the internet.
    (Though what are the pictures from in that case?)

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    wow cool video! My mind was just blown, thanks for sharing!

9. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
  10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    That's pretty sad to hear first and above all comes the workers and injuries, deaths due to the explosion..But at times like these with already pretty high prices on high end gpu's by Nvida and as the report says that this is one of the main factories for nVidia GDDR5 it will be a kick in the but for the consumers who want to upgrade their aging gpu,
    and just when i was planning on getting another GTX 770 hoping that prices will drop with AMD's upcoming 9 series.Since this already has affected the prices on the market i can only imagine what effect this will have on Nvidias gpu's pricing i can see this as the HD disaster that raised prices on HDD's about 50% for quite a long time.
    Since the new Sony's Playstation is using GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 of the XBONE although they are using AMD hardware most likely this might effect the pricing on the new Playstation as well on release leaving M$$$$$$$$ X-BONE unaffected which will be a major advantage to them..Overall sad story indeed..oh well...

11. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I didn't even think of consoles. Damn...Glad I just picked up both my 780s. I'll be sitting with them for a few years.

12. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  13. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Now that you mentioned it i saw a review of my Asus gtx770 on youtube and the cards cooler was removed and the memory chips are indeed Samsung rated at 7000mhz..That's good to hear so AMD is going to have the most trouble with GDDR5 memory on their new 9 series and on the new Playstation if that is true AMD will have to quickly choose an alternative for other ram suppliers (not from Hynix) before they start mass producing new GPU's or consoles..

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I'm not a conspiracy person, but I just don't buy this. Way to convenient a couple months before Holidays season and in the while very important technology products will be released/announce too.

And about the employees, I'm also pretty sure that if indeed was a "controlled fire" they had nothing to fear about. Although in situation like this money/results talk first.

Well if the below article is true, then I take my previous statement back and apologize.

From Reuters:

"Hynix says fire did not cripple China chip-making plant." So the prices ALREADY went up for what it seems no apparent reason. Flawless Victory. Good job everyone. ;)

A quote from the article:

"Currently, there is no material damage to the fab equipment in the clean room, thus we expect to resume operations in a short time period so that overall production and supply volume would not be materially affected," company representative Seongae Park said in a statement.

In addition, we expect that the majority of damage will be covered through insurance."

Source

P.S: I heard from an extremely reliable source that has a friend that his friend has a friend that knows a guy that knows another guy and that guy's girlfriend know another guy's girlfriend that works in a company that deals with both companies, that Samsung and Elpida already set the dates for their own chemical explosion/fires. They the staff and the Fire department have already been notified. :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Amusing that it takes more engineering to build chips than it does to design them.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have a feeling my cards have samsung memory. highly overclockable, any info on what memory chips are in the evga ftw+ 4gb?

17. Chronic

Chronic Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
  18. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Actually your Evga GTX 680 FTW 4GB uses Hynix memory chips according to my findings on the web.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Almost all 6 series cards use Hynix if I remember correctly.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ouch, so AMD's 9 series won't be priced below the 780 then, probably be about 50x higher now :eek: :D

Anyone wanna buy a 780 for 5k :p

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013