hissing/humming sound coming out of speakers in new build, interference?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bballfreak6, Jul 26, 2013.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I would just try a different model just to make sure, even a different brand, although it could just be a fault in that particular one.

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hmm just on topic of coil whine, as i was asking before, shouln't it happen to both the headphones and speakers? just found it weird that the speakers are affected but headphones fine

3. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, u don't hear it with the headphones on, cos the noise is coming from the PSU :(

4. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    purge out the sound card, take it out, use the inboard sound card, see if you can replicate the issue with the onboard soundcard.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey mate, just tried that

and...there was no noise!

BUT i couldn't use my yamaha speakers since it uses RCA connection, tried with onboard sound with a really old pair of pc speakers and did not hear any buzz or whine

so does that mean something is wrong with the sound card itself?

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ok, now try the speakers hooked up to another computer's soundcard and see if it is there. Process of elimination...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

7. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    dug up my old auzentech xfi forte, plugged into new pc, again had to plug in my old pc speakers due to lack of rca connection, and that was actually fine too

so it does seems like something is wrong with the titanium hd afterall?

8. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hello, get a Y conecctor, (cheap one just to test ) so you can plug the inboard soundcard to your yamaha, if it doesnt reproduce any interference, then you just purged the soundcard, and yes, then its evident that the Titanium is at fault.

9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey mate, yea that's like the last thing I've got to do, my new rca->trs cables came and it produced same problem so wasn't the cables so need to rule out speakers, but as it is I doubt it's the speakers since they are individual monitors and both had same problem when plugged into the sound card...*sigh*

10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    ok...I am really going crazy over this

so I tried using y splitter (2xrca to 3.5mm) to connect my old pc speakers to the titanium HD - doesn't appear to have problem!

now I put in a different sound card with rca (creative zxr) to my Yamaha monitors - problem is back

thing is, I tried different cables, plugged in the Yamaha monitors separately, all produce the same problem...so it appears my titanium hd was fine after all...and I doubt it's problem with speakers since they are not a pair but individual monitors...

so could it be PSU coil whine after all? but if it is why does it not get picked up by my headphones or pc old speakers using y splitter/plugged into old xfi forte/onboard sound?

edit: just tried plugging speakers into the TV...rca to trs was fine with tv and ps3 so speakers looks good too

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    If it was coil whine you'd hear it all the time, speakers off etc. - not just when stuff is plugged in.

I'm pretty sure it's an EMI / grounding issue. The reason you don't hear it with the headphones is because they're grounded to the PC case, whereas the speakers are grounded externally.

Sounds like your soundcard is picking up noise from the supplies on the board for the CPU or something. Try shielding it with something - foil covered with tape/card/paper could work - especially if you ground your DIY foil screen to the PC case.

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hi thanks for the reply Tom

I also tried the ZxR which supposedly has emi shield right? but it also had same problem

I noticed something else...found an 3.5mm -> 1/4" adapter so was able to try plugging one of the yamaha's into onboard sound...and static was gone...so I thought, turns out it seems like it's still there but it was so soft I can't hear anything while on desktop and can only hear the buzzing (again nowhere near as bad as it was through the soundcard) while running 3d games when it becomes a lot worse

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol i think i'm having the same problems as you, speakers sound also fine when i plug them into our TV.

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    yea man hope you get yours sorted

15. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    and next time..buy a power conditioner/filter and then you will have happiness and pureness of soul :D

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080

hey mate do you mean like ground loop isolator thingy?

17. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    You have definitely tried a lot of different things. Have you tried a different mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc? Also, you may want to download the latest nvidia driver package then do custom install and then do clean install to remove all prior drivers and then uncheck the audio driver. That way the old audio driver will be removed and the new one will not be installed.

I am not surprised that the headphone out is different since usually there are different opamps for that circuit and has been mentioned previously the TRS puts the two "negative" lines together. Like the Y connector. Going from four to three cables.

What happens when you take a wire and touch the outside of both rca connectors at the sound card. Does the sound change? If so there is a grounding issue.

Powered monitors can be tricky. Have you taken the Nano Patch out of the circuit and just gone straight from computer to the Yamahas? Any change?

It is probably mentioned above but did you try RCA to the Nano and then a y splitter from the Nano Patch to the Yamahas?

If you want to spend some money you could get an RCA isolator

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284525-REG/JK_Audio_PUR_Pureformer_Isolation_Transformer.html

You could also try an Ebtech ground loop isolator for the speaker power cables. I use one on my tube headphone amp.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/365781-REG/Ebtech_HUM_X_Hum_X_Ground_Loop.html

Use the XLR inputs on the Yamahas with an RCA to XLR connector. XLR hum stopper and an RCA to XLR adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408144-REG/Hosa_Technology_GLT_255_Audio_Cable_XLR_Male.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408140-REG/Hosa_Technology_GXR_134_Audio_Cable_XLR_Female.html

The possibilities are endless. There is also the digital out to a DAC and then to the Nano.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  18. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Hey mate thanks so much for the response, sorry I only got around to reading it now, I did some reading yesterday and long story short I ordered an Art DTI hum eliminator which I think is similar to the RCA isolator you mentioned? The place I bought it from was nice enough to take it back if it doesn't work so definitely going to try the things you mentioned if it doesn't, I believe I have an unbalanced setup which doesn't help with interference etc correct?

Thanks again for the detailed help!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  19. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Let us know how the isolator works. I have never used one. There may be some DC current leaking and it should stop it.

You are right about the XLR to RCA hum eliminator probably being of no help.

I am also curious about taking the Nano out of the circuit and just using the volume control on the computer soundcard.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    yep that was one of the first things i tried taking nano patch out of the chain, made no difference :(

really hoping the hum eliminator arrive soon lol