Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
12.11 B11 vs 13.1 Reloaded for legacy cards
Old
  (#1)
Tree Dude
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
Processor: Intel Xeon X3320 @ 3.0GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Memory: 8GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatality
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA500
Default 12.11 B11 vs 13.1 Reloaded for legacy cards - 07-19-2013, 17:48 | posts: 80 | Location: Western NY

Has anyone benchmarked these 2 drivers? I am really curious as to how they compare performance wise. I would imagine some games are going to be better on one vs the other, but it would be cool to nail down which.

I just got a 4890 from my buddy (FREE!!) and it is a very sizable upgrade from my 3870 and I want to get the most out of it since I am too poor for a proper upgrade. I will be trying out the 13.1 reloaded tonight, might wait for a full stable release of Dellon's 12.11 driver before I try it. Depends on how much free time I have (which usually isn't much).
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
kevsamiga1974
Master Guru
 
kevsamiga1974's Avatar
 
Videocard: ULA
Processor: Z80A
Mainboard: 1982 Sinclair Research
Memory: Bubble Memory
Soundcard: Piezoelectric speakers
PSU: Solar Powered
Default 07-19-2013, 19:37 | posts: 754 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post
Has anyone benchmarked these 2 drivers? I am really curious as to how they compare performance wise. I would imagine some games are going to be better on one vs the other, but it would be cool to nail down which.

I just got a 4890 from my buddy (FREE!!) and it is a very sizable upgrade from my 3870 and I want to get the most out of it since I am too poor for a proper upgrade. I will be trying out the 13.1 reloaded tonight, might wait for a full stable release of Dellon's 12.11 driver before I try it. Depends on how much free time I have (which usually isn't much).
Well, my take is you either take corrections to found and fixed issues, or you take speed and bugs. My modifications were designed to do the former, not the latter (at least under Vista/7 anyway)

And based on that analysis, I think I just saved you a whole bunch of time wasting benchmarking things.

Mine were never designed to wring out all the speed from the outset, that never was the goal, but to just fix up some issues and tie up some lose ends, replace things that were missing etc.

On top of all this, the last optimisations for anything specific 4K series wise, ended after driver 10.9a (at least for single cards that is) where also I have released a fixed driver for 10.9a already in the hybrid thread (clock issues).

Happy trails...

Last edited by kevsamiga1974; 07-19-2013 at 19:43.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru
 
Pill Monster's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: Audigy 2 Platinum Ex 5.1
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 07-19-2013, 19:48 | posts: 23,794 | Location: NZ

Nice score on the card. Watch the GPU temps tho, they run pretty hot...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Tree Dude
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
Processor: Intel Xeon X3320 @ 3.0GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Memory: 8GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatality
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA500
Default 07-19-2013, 20:19 | posts: 80 | Location: Western NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsamiga1974 View Post
Well, my take is you either take corrections to found and fixed issues, or you take speed and bugs. My modifications were designed to do the former, not the latter (at least under Vista/7 anyway)

And based on that analysis, I think I just saved you a whole bunch of time wasting benchmarking things.

Mine were never designed to wring out all the speed from the outset, that never was the goal, but to just fix up some issues and tie up some lose ends, replace things that were missing etc.

On top of all this, the last optimisations for anything specific 4K series wise, ended after driver 10.9a (at least for single cards that is) where also I have released a fixed driver for 10.9a already in the hybrid thread (clock issues).

Happy trails...
Well that is good to know kev! Ten years ago I probably would have benchmarked em anyway for fun. But nowadays I don't have the time. Still can't help but be curious how a driver retrofitted to support older cards it was never meant to compares to it.

Can I ask if the Windows 8 Netflix app works on your drivers? Seems to break on everything but the stock driver that comes with Windows 8 (stops at 97% loading). Has really annoyed me on my HTPC which has an old 3k series in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Nice score on the card. Watch the GPU temps tho, they run pretty hot...
Thanks. Yeah my buddy is a good guy. I have lots of airflow in my LanBoy, so no worries.

Last edited by Tree Dude; 07-19-2013 at 20:22.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
kevsamiga1974
Master Guru
 
kevsamiga1974's Avatar
 
Videocard: ULA
Processor: Z80A
Mainboard: 1982 Sinclair Research
Memory: Bubble Memory
Soundcard: Piezoelectric speakers
PSU: Solar Powered
Default 07-19-2013, 21:31 | posts: 754 | Location: England

I didn't test it specifically with netflix, but it should work.

Just stay away from 4K UltraHD video, unfortunately the detection is broken with almost all drivers and you get a BSOD unless your on Windows XP (with the right drivers).

Still have an intermittent net connection so not that regular on here of late.

Got a damn REIN fault daily since I moved house with the DSL spoiling internet use every day.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Tree Dude
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
Processor: Intel Xeon X3320 @ 3.0GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Memory: 8GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatality
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA500
Default 07-19-2013, 22:58 | posts: 80 | Location: Western NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsamiga1974 View Post
I didn't test it specifically with netflix, but it should work.

Just stay away from 4K UltraHD video, unfortunately the detection is broken with almost all drivers and you get a BSOD unless your on Windows XP (with the right drivers).

Still have an intermittent net connection so not that regular on here of late.

Got a damn REIN fault daily since I moved house with the DSL spoiling internet use every day.
No worries on the 4k video. Highest res monitor I have is 1080p.

Have you looked at this new FLEM utility? Looks interesting. Never thought I would have so many driver choices...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
kevsamiga1974
Master Guru
 
kevsamiga1974's Avatar
 
Videocard: ULA
Processor: Z80A
Mainboard: 1982 Sinclair Research
Memory: Bubble Memory
Soundcard: Piezoelectric speakers
PSU: Solar Powered
Default 07-21-2013, 02:26 | posts: 754 | Location: England

It's not the inability to display 4K video from places like youtube on your 1080p monitor that's the problem, rather just the attempt to display them crashes the driver and results in BSOD.

No I haven't checked FLEM. Busy fighting my ISP to get a working internet connection most days for almost 2 months now, think I might have to hunt down a router with impulse noise protection.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru
 
Pill Monster's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: Audigy 2 Platinum Ex 5.1
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 07-21-2013, 03:18 | posts: 23,794 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsamiga1974 View Post
It's not the inability to display 4K video from places like youtube on your 1080p monitor that's the problem, rather just the attempt to display them crashes the driver and results in BSOD.
That's because AMD GPU's don't properly support UHD4K rendering. You must disable Hardware Acceleration to watch UHD Pron......or movies crash free.

Hope you got a good CPU...lol
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.