Geforce Experience impressions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by helder, Apr 25, 2013.

1. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    970 OC, 780 Ghz, 290X Tri
    After using the Geforce Experience application for a few months, I thought I'd start a thread to compare notes and see what people think of how it's shaping up.

First of all, I have to reinstall the application occasionally due to various errors that tend to crop up after I install the latest Geforce drivers. This is a minor annoyance, but it doesn't take long and is easy enough to do.

Getting an alert and automated download/install process whenever Nvidia releases a new set of beta/stable drivers is handy, though I'm not sure how much time I'm really saving compared to just checking Guru3D once a day...

Now, for the "optimized settings" touted by Nvidia as helping you optimize your game experience for maximum performance, etc... I consistently find the "optimized" settings are far lower than what I tend to play at.

My monitor is 1920x1200 and it's not out of the ordinary for Geforce Experience to recommend playing games at 720p. This might make sense if my system struggled with the higher resolution, but I can max out Dishonored (for example) with a solid 60+ framerate on my 59Hz monitor.

Meanwhile, Geforce Experience is giving me all kinds of warnings about how I would have trouble running their optimal settings for games like Torchlight 2 and recommends playing the game at 1024x768. I'm not exactly sure how Nvidia is compiling the data for their "optimal settings" suggestions, but it seems a lot of people are going to be playing on far lower settings than their systems can handle.

On a positive note, I will say Nvidia's optimizations for Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas show some promise for how Geforce Experience can evolve into a useful application for editing advanced game settings. Since the optimizations for those games involve changing more settings in the game ini files, this may show how Geforce Experience can evolve into a sophisticated tool for editing ini files and provide a baseline for further customization.

If Nvidia decides to add deeper ini tweaking into future updates to Geforce Experience, I can definitely see myself using it before adding my own tweaks. At the moment, though, I'll stick with doing my own custom modifications to game settings.

Nvidia's list of games currently supported by Geforce Experience

Update:

Nvidia acknowledged (on their forums) the issue with strange low resolution recommendations and have now released Geforce Experience 1.5, which is supposed to help with a number of the issues people were having on 1080p monitors.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    That software sucks, anyone can just config their own settings from the control panel and get to playing in about 5 mins lol

3. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    I don't think "anyone" can do that. In fact, I'd argue the majority of people probably have no idea how to do that.

Nvidia's intent was probably to help the people who are less savvy tweak their games for optimal performance.

Since I'm experienced with advanced tweaking, I see a lot of areas where the application could improve, but I wouldn't say it sucks. It suggests settings that are way lower than what I'd recommend, but it doesn't break games.

If Nvidia adds more ini tweaking in future updates, it could be a pretty useful application for advanced tweakers. Some games overwrite ini files when they update, so keeping track of this through Geforce Experience would make it easier to notice when the settings change.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Yeah this piece of software is made for people which are NOT reading forum/stuff like guru3d, and using mainstream/mid range hardware.
    I used it on my little bro computer (460 GTX 1Go) and it works so-so. I mean that it tends, like the OP said, to lower the resolution although we prefer lower the details rather than getting a blurry screen (damn LCD :/). As for details, it's ok I think. We just need to give the more time to improve their database but it's a good initiative imo for entry users.

5. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    found it to be very conservative with the settings.
    Example

GTA IV & EFLC profiles set it to low everything my system can run it high/very high with ease

AC3 Profile is ok for my system not much different than what I had it at before

Dead Island Riptide Profile is total bullcrap sets everything to very low tested it on my system on highest settings game runs like butter

Its hit and miss with this software some are fine some are usless.

6. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    The resolution issue (recommending lower resolution) is definitely something Nvidia should fix. There's no way playing at 1024x768 is optimal on an LCD designed for 1080p, etc...

7. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i do not used it do my own settings in games good for first time users ...

8. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    In case anyone's wondering, you can still have the app installed and not use the optimized settings. I have it installed out of curiosity and to compare their optimized settings with my own custom settings (which is easy to do when looking at the games tab).

So far, the games I've noticed with the "deepest" optimized settings are Skyrim & Fallout New Vegas, but maybe others noticed different games where Geforce Experience edits ini files in a more comprehensive way?

9. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    After the program is in some games has changed the screen resolution to a lower from my nominee (from 1920x1080 to 1600x900), I decided it was not for me...
    And if there is a negative, then there are others. And they are. Quality settings in some games greatly reduces, then have to check everything. Therefore, it is better to put all the parameters yourself, and do not hope that this program is for you will put it right.
    Let all at once may not be able to put to optimum quality, FPS, but it differs from the PC and console, what's most interesting to scratch with the settings =)

10. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, this is probably the single biggest issue with the application at the moment.

11. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    in Nvidia probably believe that it is better to play with the above settings, but with a lower resolution. May I see the pixels and the game interface on the floor of the screen, but I will be at the maximum setting))

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I downloaded it and tried it while it was in Beta but it didn't really work for me. I spent more time going into the settings and fixing everything that the software screwed up.
    Uninstalled and will not install again

13. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I stopped using it after a few games I let it autoconfigure. AC III and Crysis 3 were two games that the optimal settings resulted in performance that varied between ~40-60fps with lots of stuttering. It would be better if they had performance level settings related to framerate targets instead.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i used it for a month a while back, but some settings were indeed low.
    skyrim was set to high for instance lol

15. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    One of the things I think is strange is there's no option to set a game to use their "optimal" settings and then customize it within Geforce Experience. Being able to customize my own optimal settings and associating it with my geforce account (or something similar) would make take most of the work out of installing and tweaking games on a new machine.

Nvidia could also give you an option of whether you prefer ultra quality, etc...

16. angmar

angmar Guest

No not everyone can. The program is made to bridge the gap between pcs and consoles and make it so computer illiterate people can just install a game an play it and know it's going to run right. Not everyone knows what anti aliasing or resolution is or different forms of lighting options etc etc......In fact I would say the majority of people who play games on pcs don't know what half the settings they are changing even do.

17. CSF90

CSF90 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    Used it up until a month ago, just to see what it recommended. Seemed to work pretty well - disagreed with some of the settings they suggested as they were a bit conservative, but on the whole they worked pretty well. Never had it recommended anything other than 1920x1080.

Aside from that, I can see its use for more casual gamers.

18. helder

helder Guest

GPU:
    I just looked over Nvidia's short developer-oriented write-up describing the purpose behind Geforce Experience.

Basically, a survey from a couple years ago suggested less than one out of five gamers optimize their game settings. They're developing the application essentially to improve that number and make sure the average user has the latest drivers installed.

This was all pretty easy to guess, though I was a little surprised only 1/5 of the PC gaming population bothers to tweak settings.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think the software is fine but a bit buggy and misleading for the following reasons:

1. It keeps adding my C:, G: and K: drives even though there are no games installed on any of them and I have manually removed the drives from the scan options (where there is apparently a pointless remove option!!!). Since it automatically scans daily for new games I figured removing redundant drivers would speed up this process but the app keeps adding them back! :bang:

2. It duplicates the Assassin's Creed III entry because the installer is stored on C:, clearly a bug, since the game itself is on E:, my Steam games drive.

3. Some of the suggested settings are bizarre to say the least (or maybe admission on NVIDIA's part that their drivers aren't that great?). For example, for Batman: Arkham City it is suggested I use FXAA and disable MVSS and HDAO, which (if I'm not mistaken) disables DirectX 11 completely making the suggested High Tessellation settings redundant since it doesn't work in anything other than DirectX 11 mode!!! Also, the app did suggest I disable Tessellation for Max Payne 3 even though the game runs flawlessly with it enabled and everything else maxed out at 1920x1200, but NVIDIA have since updated that.

Personally, I find the optimized settings useless for the most part as most of my games are already using them but I keep this app just to see what settings NVIDIA suggest (and to see how they amusingly get it wrong sometimes!) plus the interface is far nicer than the bland, basic one that installs with the drivers. This one shows what driver you have and its features for example. The only annoyance is that when I installed the v320.00 beta driver, its updater overwrote the GeForce Experience one forcing me to reinstall it again despite the latter having a higher version number (the installer normally skips any component installed that has a higher version number than the one its trying to install).

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. Why does it suggest lowering Specularity Fade to 15 (from 20) for Fallout: New Vegas, which is an undemanding game for my system?