IEEE study group to research 400Gbps Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Though I'm sure you are savvy with your 1 Gbps ethernet connection,Â*IEEE announced the formation of a new study group to explore the development of a 400Gb/s Ethernet standard: IEEE, the world's lar...

IEEE study group to research 400Gbps Ethernet

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    In Canada, most people would be in shock and awe if you have a 150 mbps residential line, so no, not even close to a gigabit.

Maybe this will help persuade ISPs to give us Canadians at least a gigabit access :p?

deltatux

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wow, my sub 20Mbps with faulty line (disconnects a lot) could do with an upgrade!
    Thats only 20,000 times faster lol.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    savvy with 1Gbit? Sure, but we need SSDs to catch up with it.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    1000:8= 125 MB/s ... I'm sure your SSD can keep up with it;)

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You right sir.

Unfortunately, I only use SSD for system, steam games and downloads going on HDD.
    Currently using 100Mbit, and to be honest, I don't think I have a need for a faster network speed.
    Youtube loads 1080p videos without delay and I am limited to 100Mbit with my current cables and router.

I image it would take sometime to figure what causes limits with my current setup, if I get 1Gbit connection (cables, network card, router, hubs, pc's hardware...)

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    lol *sighs, looks at speedtest results, laughs hysterically. Wonders when UK will catchup with the rest of the world*

8. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Neaaaat! :D Ethernet <3

9. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    The best actual bandwidth from my ISP is 12 Mbps, so I don't even utilize a fraction of my 1 Gbps router. They're really milking me at $87 a month for that 12 Mbps as well.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Same here only mine is 8 Mbps :(

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Jeepers, my 24MBit (theoretical, get around 18Mbps) is £20 a month and thats expensive here!
    They are really scamming you.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    yknow what the IEEE really needs to focus on? Moving the Internet to ipv6, not some Ethernet advancement that, if Im not mistaken, is faster than a single PCIe lane. I see this being ideal for servers but home users wont be able to take advantage of this for several years, especially when you consider the growing usage of wifi.

13. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Is UK really behind the world on internet speed/capacity ?

NOTE: the fastest I can get here (which I dont have) is 200MBit/sec with 300g of download allowed per month.

14. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Ipv6 is already been used since a few years now and have nothing to do with this awesome standard. There is no ipv4 addresses left to buy but you dont need a new one to provide wi-fi services. Wi-fi use private addresses to provide internet.

15. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    ETHERNET guys, not your internet connection, your local ethernet NIC. It already is common to have 10 Gbps NICs in server or laboratory rooms like I work in to have data backed up faster on machines (using Accronis or USMT for example).

That's cute, yall thinking every other country but yours is on anything above 50 Mbps average

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The adoption rate of IPv6 is horribly slow, and I have yet to encounter a website or web service that I know uses IPv6 (I'm sure there's several out there but I don't know what they are).

I'm aware how wifi (or LAN networking in general) works, but local IP ranges aren't the problem - as you said, there are no IPv4 addresses left, and that's a serious problem for a world-wide system that multiplies itself yearly.

I'm sure one thing that would help to regain IP addresses is if people in apartments agreed on paying for 1 high-speed connection and use a single router. I know of some apartment buildings where pretty much every resident has their own internet connection. Though, I'm not sure what IP range is depleted (not every single IPV4 on the WWW is used up) so there's a possibility my idea is pointless, aside from the fact that it might save money if everyone pitches in.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah yeah.
    [puts dunces cap on, sits in corner]

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Better to have whatever speed you have with a reasonable upload as well so it doesn't artificially throttle your download.

I have a 28Mb/s connection, but just like everything using cable here the root provider is Rogers Communications which cap uploads at 1Mb/s, meaning if you're uploading the slightest amount they throttle your download speed.

So not only is 28Mb/s ridiculously slow, but uploading at the same time is near impossible.

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Dunno how it is in the UK, but you should call your ISP for a Telecom technician. I was a telecom technician till over a year ago. Seen a fair share of faulty lines and quite alot of those telephone lines were actually physically damaged outside of the customers house and had to be repaired.

If that's the case, in Belgium they dig a hole near the damaged part and then repair it (which could take up to 2 weeks though since they need to get the plans and other documents from the city). The actual repairing process usually takes about 1 afternoon to a day.

20. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    No complaints from me in the UK

Virgin are currently testing 300mb in Uk in certain citys atm

[​IMG]