SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramps

Gramps Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 770 4GB OC
    Random seems better for me :)

You never replied about my suggestion about using a new injector ^^
    Whether it would help or not .. It includes shaders for reflection, shadows, per pixel lighting, SSAO and DoF; plus there are many multi-pass shaders out there written in HLSL that could possibly be adapted for SweetFX.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. axelrol

axelrol Guest

GPU:
    2GB MSI R7850 Twin Frozr
    CeeJay, what about my question in previous post? Whats better for smaa threshold? lower or higher values? thank you.

3. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    lower but it could blur things you don't want like text or hud

4. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Thanks for your continued awesome work CeeJay, I use it in all my games :)

Have you changed any of the default settings apart from lowering the SMAA threshold compared to 1.3?

5. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    No, Dithering in SweetFX only work for changes SweetFX makes.
    To remove the banding that games create I would first need to create a medium to large radious blur effect and use it to blur the areas look like they could be banding , which means also writing a algorithm to detect them and THEN dither that.

The dither part is done, but proper debanding also requires the others and they will be tricky to write and make fast enough.
    It will be easier with multipass capability so I'm currently working on other stuff until I get that. Maybe in a future version.

The ENB are created for certain games specifically and have little to no official support for other games. I prefer working with an injector that has much better compatibility with games, although it currently has fewer features.
    The other reason is that ENB shader code is IMO a mess, and I would have to first clear up that mess and structure it to make heads or tails of it, which is a lot of work.
    So while it's possible to port SweetFX to run on ENB directly I prefer not to.

Well it seem like a new better injector is required then.
    Boulousaur did mention that his injector needed more work for Tomb Raider so maybe now that SweetFX 1.4 is done I could help him - unless I decide to work on stuff for 1.5.
    Meanwhile I think you best bet is Boulousaurs injector and Tomb Raiders own anti-aliasing options.

The best is the right amount (which I also wrote in the settings file)
    For the threshold, lower values means it detects and processes more edges.

You want it low enough to detect all the aliased edges that bother you, but not so low that it starts to pick up fine details in textures that you want preserved - also lowering the threshold also lowers performance.

I think the right balance is probably between 0.08 and 0.12 depending on the game - therefore it's default is 0.10

Well Random is better - it's also slower though. In the future I might improve the speed of Random or improve the quality of Ordered or with multipass capability I might write one that uses Error Diffusion which should have even better quality.
    For now Random does an extremely good job - I just wishI could make it faster.

I don't think so.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks, I will wait a little longer and thanks for info :thumbup:

Also good job, this tool rocks :cheers:

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

edit: nvm I always make things work after I ask for help. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Has anyone found a way to get injectors work in Windows 8 when FRAPS is running?

9. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Cool new update :banana:
    Thanks a lot for this great tool CeeJay :)

10. conan2k

conan2k Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780GTX
    CeeJay, you've written previously:

Are the respective fixes included in v1.4?

BTW, many thanks for the new release.

11. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    No, but don't tell anyone.

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    do we need three sweet fx stickies?
    lets just have this one stickied.
    *don't ban me bro.

13. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    new thread with changelog and news about sweetFx?

Thank you CJ! and thank you for 1.4 version.

14. johnchaser

johnchaser Guest

GPU:
    Hi 2 all! Please, don't beat the newbie...

1. Great thanx for SweetFX!!! Using it from the Sep. 2012 with many games and it's a really amazing. Before using the FXAA Tool but don't actually likes it's quality, so the SweetFX become number 1 for me (and for many others as i see, BTW "read-only" all 3 threads from beginning till now :) So thanx again!

2. "Q" about "SweetFX Configurator" - what about it and 1.4 version ?? I use 1.33 and it's really a handy tool.

3. So far SweetFX is working with many modern games, but i have a strange problem with "Chaser". W/o SweetFX it runs good, but when SFX is "on" the file named "log.log" contents only "full path" info about games folder and effects don't work(game is working, but no SFX).
    I tried ENB DirectX 8 wrapper, because IDK what version is used in the game, but with this "d3d8.dll" the game just crushes after intro videos. In that case "log.log" contents the
    Any help is appreciated!

15. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Haven't played BL2 in a while so I thought I'd give it ago now that it has some pretty nice screenshotting tools in the form of Cheat Engine.

CeeJay once said that people don't desaturate with vibrance :p Nonsense! If you desaturate and then bump contrast, you get color back and a different look than before. I've been trying it out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to give 1.4 a shot. Ceejay, can you elaborate on the following? What are the improvements?

16. darkninjavn

darkninjavn Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx660
  17. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    A newbie you say?

SweetFX 1.4 should work fine with the configurator.
    Just install the 1.4 files over the 1.3 it comes with.
    Or wait until Terrasque updates the configurator with the new SweetFX version bundled.

Chaser use DirectX 8.1, so yes you'd need a working wrapper for it.
    Try installing only the ENB DirectX 8 wrapper and running the game.

If that doesn't work then it's a problem with the wrapper and you could try disabling some of the games graphics option.
    I'd try to disable everything and set everything to low and then installing the wrapper and see if that works - if it does then I'd slowly turn on more and more until it break and I know which setting it doesn't like.

18. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Awesome screenshots - May I include them in the screenshots section?

The improvements are (listed in the changelog on page 1) :

• Adds the Border shader as a workaround for the bright screenedge forcing certain AA modes can cause
    • Adds the Cartoon shader that can make the image look more cartoonish
    • Adds the Advanced CRT shader that can mimic the look of an old arcade CRT display
    • Adds the Monochrome shader that removes the colors
    • Adds the FXAA shader as an alternative to SMAA for the few people that still prefer it. (only in DX9 for now though)
    • Improved the Curves shader so it can now apply contrast to Chroma as well as Luma (as before) or both
    • Improved the performance of formula 5 in the Curves shader (the simplified Catmull-rom spline)
    • Improved the Dither shader with the option to use Random Dithering.
    • Improved the Dither shader so now uses a subpixel dithering pattern. (Both when using Random or Ordered Dithering)
    • Lowered the default SMAA threshold to 0.10 so fewer aliased lines escape processing.
    • Fixed a bug where dark areas could on occasion appear when HDR and Lumasharpen where both activated at the same time.
    • The alpha channel is now cleared before outputting the image to prevent it messing with screenshots converted to png.
    • The SweetFX settings file now include a description field to help keep of which version the settings are for.
    • Improved the Vignette shader to allow you to create oval shaped vignettes.
    • Curves_formula 2 is now the default Curves formula.
    • Includes some notes on how you can make custom shaders

So you can now apply contrast to chroma too. It boosts colors in a manner similar to Vibrance.
    You can also apply contrast to both Luma and Chroma at the same time which is actually faster because I don't need to seperate Luma and Chroma.

I actually haven't tried decreasing the contrast of Chroma to see what that does to the colors - it should desaturate them too.

19. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I didn't think to look to the 2nd post for the changelog :) I'm a dumby.

Feel free to use any of my screenshots I post anywhere that says SweetFX was used :p I'm now all kinds of intrigued by 1.4. I must see it now... can't put it off any longer :)

20. conan2k

conan2k Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780GTX
    Yeah, I've been using Vibrance for desaturation in a number of games (along with Curves for contrast). It makes some games to look much more vivid and realistic IMO. However, I haven't experienced any visible glitches when using Vibrance with negative values. So, I was wondering if CeeJay has already fixed the aforementioned issues (and what were those issues actually? :)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.