Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface - 03-18-2013, 10:45 | posts: 20,460 | Location: Guru3D testlab

One of Intel's upcoming desktop processors based on Haswell will be the Core i7-4770K. Tom's Hardware posted numbers and benchmark on this processor and compared it with the Core i7-3770K ...

Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
getsuga12
Ancient Guru
 
getsuga12's Avatar
 
Videocard: Geforce GTX870M
Processor: Intel i7 4810MQ, 2.8Ghz
Mainboard: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Memory: 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Realtek Audio Card
PSU: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Default 03-18-2013, 10:56 | posts: 4,387

interesting scores, seems like when it comes to GPU performance the A10-5800K is still stronger. I'm more interested in seeing how the mobile line-up holds up though
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default 03-18-2013, 10:58 | posts: 12,874 | Location: USA

Quote:
7 to 13 percent faster than the i7-3770K in multi-threaded workload
meh.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 11:21 | posts: 6,539 | Location: Dubai

Haswell was about power efficiency and the iGPU after all. I'm not suprised that it isn't outclassing Ivy Bridge. Any word on whether Haswell will also have that weird heat problem of Ivy Bridge due to the TIM or whatever?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default 03-18-2013, 11:24 | posts: 12,874 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Haswell was about power efficiency and the iGPU after all. I'm not suprised that it isn't outclassing Ivy Bridge. Any word on whether Haswell will also have that weird heat problem of Ivy Bridge due to the TIM or whatever?
I haven't heard anything. But even if they use the same process this go around, it's nothing a 10 min procedure can't fix.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 11:25 | posts: 6,539 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazeDelta1 View Post
I haven't heard anything. But even if they use the same process this go around, it's nothing a 10 min procedure can't fix.
You did that on a thousand dollar CPU?! Damn
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default 03-18-2013, 11:27 | posts: 12,874 | Location: USA

you can"t delid a SB cpu. but I did do it to my 3770k
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
alanm
Ancient Guru
 
alanm's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI TF GTX 770
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 03-18-2013, 11:28 | posts: 5,453

TDP = 84 vs IB = 77?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru
 
Darren Hodgson's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX Pro B.E. 850W
Default 03-18-2013, 11:34 | posts: 11,624 | Location: England

Only 7-13% faster than an i7-3770K at stock but what about overclocking potential and temperatures? Assuming the heat spreader issue has been fixed the new i7-4770K could run cooler and use less power at higher clocks than the i7-3770K even though the new CPU's TDP is 7 W more... right?

The i7-3770K looks like a great CPU and one that I would very likely have bought to replace my ageing i7-920 if newer Haswell CPUs weren't coming out in the next few months. I guess it depends on the pricing but it makes more sense to buy a current CPU for a newer chip socket than one for a socket that is about to be phased out. There again, does it really matter when a CPU usually lasts me 3+ years and its replacement usually coincides with either a new PC or a new motherboard?
   
Reply With Quote
seems like when it comes to GPU performance the A10-5800K is still stronger
Old
  (#10)
kenoh
Member Guru
 
Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 680 - 1244mhz
Processor: Ivy Bridge 4930k 4.7ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK EXTREAM 4 x79
Memory: KINGSTON HYPER X 2400MHz
Soundcard: Paradigm 100V.5
PSU: EARTH WATTS PLATNIUM 650W
Cool seems like when it comes to GPU performance the A10-5800K is still stronger - 03-18-2013, 11:38 | posts: 50 | Location: PA

that's too bad because there giving AMD time to catch up in the CPU department while intel is still behind in the GPGPU department...

if all we get is a lousy 7-13% increase then what the hell is there saving grace? there still behind low power efficient processors when it comes to mobile chips like QUALCOMM and Samsung and AMD still beats them in integrated GPUs and when it comes to consumer based chips AMD is catching up little by little and once they do why would the common consumer worry by then when we start to get performance figures like this?


I think intel needs to get there sh@t together!
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 11:54 | posts: 6,853 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Haswell was about power efficiency and the iGPU after all. I'm not suprised that it isn't outclassing Ivy Bridge. Any word on whether Haswell will also have that weird heat problem of Ivy Bridge due to the TIM or whatever?
Anand said during his podcast that they fixed it. He wouldn't directly comment on whether it was soldered or not but Intel came to his house to demonstrate some of the new tech, he asked and they said they were aware and that it was fixed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh View Post
that's too bad because there giving AMD time to catch up in the CPU department while intel is still behind in the GPGPU department...

if all we get is a lousy 7-13% increase then what the hell is there saving grace? there still behind low power efficient processors when it comes to mobile chips like QUALCOMM and Samsung and AMD still beats them in integrated GPUs and when it comes to consumer based chips AMD is catching up little by little and once they do why would the common consumer worry by then when we start to get performance figures like this?


I think intel needs to get there sh@t together!

There saving grace is platform power. By moving the VRs off the mainboard into the processor they can switch states, voltages near instantly. Suddenly you're going to see devices like the surface pro go from 4-5 hours battery life to 8-9. Granted not many of us care about that as gamers, but that's the direction the market is headed so Intel needs to compete there.

Last edited by Denial; 03-18-2013 at 11:56.
   
Reply With Quote
i think i will pick up a 3770k for 230 dollars
Old
  (#12)
anf
Member Guru
 
anf's Avatar
 
Videocard: 650 ti boost 1 gb evga
Processor: i7 2700k sandy bridge4ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-VLX
Memory: 16 gigs corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: logitech 540/audigy
PSU: 650 thermaltake
Default i think i will pick up a 3770k for 230 dollars - 03-18-2013, 12:07 | posts: 86 | Location: topeka kansas

I think i will pick up a 3770k for 230 dollars at microcenter and get a 650 ti...
it might not make a difference for me since i do not game much....but i am going to do it and then wait for gen after haswell
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 12:08 | posts: 6,539 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Anand said during his podcast that they fixed it. He wouldn't directly comment on whether it was soldered or not but Intel came to his house to demonstrate some of the new tech, he asked and they said they were aware and that it was fixed.
Sweet!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
flashmozzg
Newbie
 
Videocard: R7850 1GB @ 1000/1250
Processor: i5 4670K @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3
Memory: 16 GB
Soundcard: Sennheiser 323D
PSU: Zalman ZM600-HP
Default 03-18-2013, 12:14 | posts: 41

It's says that 4770K is 3,9 Ghz, while for tests it's probably been downclocked to 3,5. So at the same speed difference is small. And AFAIK 3770 had 6 cores => advantage in some tests. Anyway, I won't change my PC until next gen of hw, or gen after that comes. c2q is doing well. And new consoles should give huge boost to hw development, like the old ones did, so it would be not wise to upgrade now (especially if you don't have problems with your current hw).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
kenoh
Member Guru
 
Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 680 - 1244mhz
Processor: Ivy Bridge 4930k 4.7ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK EXTREAM 4 x79
Memory: KINGSTON HYPER X 2400MHz
Soundcard: Paradigm 100V.5
PSU: EARTH WATTS PLATNIUM 650W
Default 03-18-2013, 12:15 | posts: 50 | Location: PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
There saving grace is platform power. By moving the VRs off the mainboard into the processor they can switch states, voltages near instantly. Suddenly you're going to see devices like the surface pro go from 4-5 hours battery life to 8-9. Granted not many of us care about that as gamers, but that's the direction the market is headed so Intel needs to compete there.
yeah I understand that but there weakening a market there familiar with "Hardcore Gaming" "HTCP users" and people in applied sciences that need a cheap general use desktop computer to use on every day activities while not killing there bank accounts!

so there trying to take over a market that has other more experienced chip makers that have dominated the mobile enterprise for years and think they can come in and take it over night...? it won't happen because most people that throw money down on mobile phones are already an established fan base plus most of them are young adults that wouldn't even care if a phone or tablet was priced to a premium just because it had intel on the label!!

They don't have that type of trust or confidence in the mobile market with consumers yet plus most have a short attention span and that doesn't help nether....
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru
 
Loophole35's Avatar
 
Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 03-18-2013, 12:57 | posts: 5,128 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
It's says that 4770K is 3,9 Ghz, while for tests it's probably been downclocked to 3,5. So at the same speed difference is small. And AFAIK 3770 had 6 cores => advantage in some tests. Anyway, I won't change my PC until next gen of hw, or gen after that comes. c2q is doing well. And new consoles should give huge boost to hw development, like the old ones did, so it would be not wise to upgrade now (especially if you don't have problems with your current hw).
3770 is 4 cores 8 threads and 3.9 is its turbo clock and that is only avaloble to one core at a time iirc to help with single threaded apps.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Symbiosis
Master Guru
 
Symbiosis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 690
Processor: Intel 3770K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 8GB G.Skill TridentX 2400
Soundcard: Need To Upgrade
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
Default 03-18-2013, 13:27 | posts: 435 | Location: Kent - England

The performance looks somewhat lacklustre compared to my 3770K, oh well at least I can divert funds to another part of my rig instead
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Exodite
Maha Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte 6950 2GB @ Stock
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 1.15V
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3
Memory: 8GB Kingston PC10600
Soundcard: Realtek 892
PSU: Seasonic SS-460FL
Default 03-18-2013, 14:00 | posts: 1,652 | Location: LuleŚ, Sweden

If true this is rather impressive.

I didn't expect as much as a ~10% IPC increase but it seems that's what we're getting.

And before people forget themselves, CPUs aren't GPUs. We're not doubling the number of compute units available for highly parallel loads but rather incrementally increasing IPC by roughly 10% on a yearly basis.

Say what you will about Intel but that's quite impressive.

The only thing that annoys me at this point is that the full GPU (GT3) isn't available in the desktop chips. If it were that would make for a very viable desktop system upgrade for my better half, as well as a few other family members, who really don't need a discrete GPU.

Heck, at this point I'm not sure if I do either.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru
 
-Tj-'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 Amp! 1215MHz
Processor: Intel i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W|52A
Default 03-18-2013, 14:02 | posts: 6,869 | Location: Urban`Jungle

by processor multimeda float/integer/double its at least 40% faster.

That bandwidth int/float AVX could be sisoftSandra compatibility issue since 3gb/s slower, i doubt they would cripple memory bandwidth.


Also it will OC better, it has similar OC tweaks like SB-E unlocked bus? Imo another bonus, also fixed soldering like Denial mentioned and option to upgrade to Broadwell :]
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
vidra
Maha Guru
 
vidra's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX670OC@26"Samsung
Processor: Core i5 750 @3.6GHz/1.26V
Mainboard: EVGA P55 LE
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Chieftec 750W
Default 03-18-2013, 15:02 | posts: 2,445 | Location: Novi Sad, Serbia

I don't know guys, it may sound like blasphemy on a hardware enthusiast forum, but I'm completely happy with my lil' old 750. At 3.6 GHz (voltage only slightly above stock @ 1.26V) and with my graphics card it still handles anything I throw at it really well. The only real issue here is my mobo bottlenecking my OCZ Vertex 4, but even so I keep my rig clean and everything is really fast. Programs open quickly, I can multitask without worrying, etc. Unless there is a serious jump in performance in the next gen, I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. I'd rather get a nice 27" IPS monitor instead.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: 760 SLI ftw bios @1215
Processor: 4690k @4.7
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 03-18-2013, 15:20 | posts: 6,321 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidra View Post
I don't know guys, it may sound like blasphemy on a hardware enthusiast forum, but I'm completely happy with my lil' old 750. At 3.6 GHz (voltage only slightly above stock @ 1.26V) and with my graphics card it still handles anything I throw at it really well. The only real issue here is my mobo bottlenecking my OCZ Vertex 4, but even so I keep my rig clean and everything is really fast. Programs open quickly, I can multitask without worrying, etc. Unless there is a serious jump in performance in the next gen, I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. I'd rather get a nice 27" IPS monitor instead.
I had i5 760 OCed @ 4.2ghz 24/7
then Crysis 2 arrived and i jumped to the snappy 2500k
then Max Payne 3 arrived and i jumped to the liquid mercury 3570k
If i see a nice Haswell mobo, well ..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
The_Fool
Maha Guru
 
The_Fool's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
Processor: i7 2600k, 4.6GHz, NH-D14
Mainboard: GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: 8GB @ 1867MHz
Soundcard: Integrated
PSU: Corsair Pro. HX850
Default 03-18-2013, 15:28 | posts: 1,019 | Location: Tiny Town in USA

Those benchmarks are pretty disappointing. If true, there will still be no reason to upgrade from this i7 2600k.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: 760 SLI ftw bios @1215
Processor: 4690k @4.7
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 03-18-2013, 15:34 | posts: 6,321 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Personally i'd like to try an i7, i've never owned one.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Dragondale13
Master Guru
 
Dragondale13's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb SLi
Processor: Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3 Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79-UD3-F18 Mod
Memory: GSkill Sniper 16GB 2133
Soundcard: X-FI Ti.Champ + Z5300 5.1
PSU: Corsair HX850 Watt
Default 03-18-2013, 16:33 | posts: 305 | Location: Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.

I don't think anyone with more than 2 cores on either P45, P55, P67, Z68, Z77, X48, X58 or X79 will be in desperate need of an upgrade, unless they just have to have the latest (can't hate on that).Peeps like myself on the other hand lol need to get with the program and get more cores.I'm judging from the amount of performance I'm currently getting and it doesn't look like I'm going to have to splurge too much to get where most single card users are at.But I do want a new case also so, yeh the wife isn't too pleased, lol!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
vidra
Maha Guru
 
vidra's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX670OC@26"Samsung
Processor: Core i5 750 @3.6GHz/1.26V
Mainboard: EVGA P55 LE
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Chieftec 750W
Default 03-18-2013, 16:35 | posts: 2,445 | Location: Novi Sad, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
I had i5 760 OCed @ 4.2ghz 24/7
then Crysis 2 arrived and i jumped to the snappy 2500k
then Max Payne 3 arrived and i jumped to the liquid mercury 3570k
If i see a nice Haswell mobo, well ..
Those are nice upgrades! I guess I've just lost the upgrading bug.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.