Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8 - 03-11-2013, 04:31 | posts: 21,306 | Location: Guru3D testlab

A Samsung executive this week likened Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system to Vista, the criticized OS put out by Redmond several years ago in between its far more successful Windows XP and Win...

Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
kanej2007
Ancient Guru
 
kanej2007's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Vengeance C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra 7.1
PSU: Fractal Design R2 1000W
Default 03-11-2013, 04:43 | posts: 6,859 | Location: Dubai, UAE / London, UK

I'd have to agree with him. I tried Windows 8 & hated it, upgraded to Windows 7!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
sapo_joe
Master Guru
 
Videocard: MSi Radeon R9 290 4GB
Processor: AMD PhenomII X6 1090T
Mainboard: Asus M4A78 Pro
Memory: 8GB DDRII 667Mhz Dual
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: 620W Antec Gamer
Default 03-11-2013, 05:20 | posts: 421 | Location: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanej2007 View Post
I'd have to agree with him. I tried Windows 8 & hated it, upgraded to Windows 7!
Same here... I've got my laptop and my PC running Win7 x64 and my older computer running XP x64. All good and smooth, no need to buy an (for me) almost unusable OS.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Veeshush
Maha Guru
 
Veeshush's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Processor: Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-MA790X-UD4P
Memory: CorsairDominator 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+
Default 03-11-2013, 05:25 | posts: 917

Before this turns south.

Quote:
"This time around, with Windows 8, there is no such bloat," Worstall wrote, referring to resource-hogging software packed in with previous rollouts of Windows platforms. "You can actually run on the same specs as Windows 7. Indeed, many say that it runs better than the earlier OS on the same specification of rig. Thus there's been no mad rush to upgrade systems and install yet more RAM. Simply because Microsoft has, this time at least, written a fast and efficient OS."
Meaning, as far as hardware goes, the average person who bought a new Win7 machine a few years ago has no reason to buy a new Windows 8 machine. If anything, they'll just install Windows 8 on the machine they already have.

Samsung seems to be pissed they couldn't sell some more ram this OS round too if I read that right. They shouldn't worry, DDR4 is almost here.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780Ti Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
Default 03-11-2013, 05:57 | posts: 13,551 | Location: USA

It's not that I hate it, because I don't. I just don't have any need to upgrade.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-11-2013, 06:00 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

It does nothing better than 7 except start and shut down quicker .. and that god awful shoehorned interface!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru
 
mR Yellow's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Acel XIII
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ CL8
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 03-11-2013, 09:26 | posts: 807 | Location: South Africa

I actually like it and it's faster.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Asgardi
Member Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 460
Processor: I7 920
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ 750W
Default 03-11-2013, 09:51 | posts: 51

"I think the Windows 8 system is no better than the previous Windows Vista platform,"

Funny guy. Now we are all using W7 as the greatest OS of all times, and the truth is it has very few improvements over Vista. Almost all key technology was already in Vista and were just polished for W7. The same will happen again. W9 will be seen as great, even if it really is going to have mostly polished W8 features.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
nicugoalkeper
Master Guru
 
nicugoalkeper's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB
Processor: Q6600 G0 @ 3600
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4Gb DDR2 800 Geil Ultra
Soundcard: Soundmax
PSU: CoolMaster 620 Real Power
Default 03-11-2013, 11:10 | posts: 791 | Location: RO TM

His say'd that from an economical point of view, and he is right, but the problem is that the smartphone and tablet take allot from PC sales.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Major Melchett
Maha Guru
 
Major Melchett's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 480 - 4th bake :(
Processor: AMD X3 450 @ X4 3.875ghz
Mainboard: GA-MA770T-UD3
Memory: 8GB Muskin 1666 CL9
Soundcard: Onboard Nvidia
PSU: High Power 1000w (100a)
Default 03-11-2013, 11:44 | posts: 2,323 | Location: Planet Earth

Linking it to Vista, cool (Vista after the 1st SP was fantastic) - Windows 7 is just Windows Vista with an extra SP and renamed Windows 7 because the name "Vista" never recovered from all the unjust bad articles about it (even to this day).

On a serous note though, after reading the article I'd hardly say "Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8", he seems to just talk about the lack of uptake and I can't actually see anything I'd refer to as actual bashing.

Last edited by Major Melchett; 03-11-2013 at 11:50.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-11-2013, 12:38 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
It does nothing better than 7 except start and shut down quicker .. and that god awful shoehorned interface!
Speak for yourself, it can take up to 6 clicks to shut down Windows 8 without any programs running. Windows 7 can be as little as 2.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Major Melchett
Maha Guru
 
Major Melchett's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 480 - 4th bake :(
Processor: AMD X3 450 @ X4 3.875ghz
Mainboard: GA-MA770T-UD3
Memory: 8GB Muskin 1666 CL9
Soundcard: Onboard Nvidia
PSU: High Power 1000w (100a)
Default 03-11-2013, 12:44 | posts: 2,323 | Location: Planet Earth

6 clicks?, how do you mange that in Windows 8?, the most it takes is 3 clicks - hover over charms (same as hover over start button) - click settings, click power, click shutdown.

In my case it takes 1 - click shutdown tile ().

Last edited by Major Melchett; 03-11-2013 at 12:48.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-11-2013, 12:50 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Melchett View Post
6 clicks?, how do you mange that in Windows 8?, the most it takes is 3 clicks - hover over charms (same as hover over start button) - click settings, click power, click shutdown.

In my case it takes 1 - click shutdown tile ().
My experience was from the beta, but IIRC, it would take that many clicks if you were at the start screen. Also, I consider a hover to be a click since it does the same thing but takes longer.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-11-2013, 12:52 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Speak for yourself, it can take up to 6 clicks to shut down Windows 8 without any programs running. Windows 7 can be as little as 2.
Wtf .. I wasn't talking about the number of clicks to initiate the process.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 03-11-2013, 12:55 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

I'll be sticking with 7. Vista was useable with one tweak (UAC), but 8 I cannot stand.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Major Melchett
Maha Guru
 
Major Melchett's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 480 - 4th bake :(
Processor: AMD X3 450 @ X4 3.875ghz
Mainboard: GA-MA770T-UD3
Memory: 8GB Muskin 1666 CL9
Soundcard: Onboard Nvidia
PSU: High Power 1000w (100a)
Default 03-11-2013, 12:56 | posts: 2,323 | Location: Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
My experience was from the beta, but IIRC, it would take that many clicks if you were at the start screen. Also, I consider a hover to be a click since it does the same thing but takes longer.
A hover is a click now?. So I ask, are you adding your hover over start button to your 2 clicks? (it takes me the same time to hover over start as it does to show the charms bar).

Basically you've just made it 1 click extra for each of use, 3 clicks for Win 7 and 4 clicks for Win 8.
---
Anyways, let's be honest - this is kinda irrelevant and will just go round in circles - so lets agree to disagree.

Last edited by Major Melchett; 03-11-2013 at 13:00.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-11-2013, 13:07 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Melchett View Post
A hover is a click now?. So I ask, are you adding your hover over start button to your 2 clicks? (it takes me the same time to hover over start as it does to show the charms bar).

Basically you've just made it 1 click extra for each of use, 3 clicks for Win 7 and 4 clicks for Win 8.
---
Anyways, let's be honest - this is kinda irrelevant and will just go round in circles - so lets agree to disagree.
If hovering over a menu or clicking on it gives you the same results, then yes, a hover is basically the same thing as clicking. For example in the classic menu you could either click on a program menu to immediately expand it, or you could hover the mouse and wait a full second for it to expand. Like I said, I haven't tried Windows 8 since the beta so they might have fixed this, or maybe the hover action operates differently than what I'm thinking. Also keep in mind i'm saying UP TO 6 clicks, because depending on where you are in Windows 8, many OS-based actions can take less clicks than others.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru
 
-Tj-'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 03-11-2013, 13:09 | posts: 8,012 | Location: Urban`Jungle

3 click to turn it off, slide mouse to right corner

1. click - settings
2. click - power
3. click - shut down


or 1 click on desktop
alt+f4, window pops up asking what to do, its set to shut down by default

1. click - ok button

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
General Stalin
Master Guru
 
General Stalin's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS HD6990 3x24" AOC2436
Processor: 2600k@4.6Ghz Watercooled
Mainboard: MSI P67A-GD65(B3)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 G.Skill 6-8-6-24
Soundcard: Logitech z5500 5.1 500w
PSU: Tt "Black Widow" 850watt
Default 03-11-2013, 13:19 | posts: 192 | Location: Massachusetts

It takes no clicks because Windows machines have supported soft-power for over a decade now. Just press your power button once (if you are on a laptop, make sure your power settings are set to power off on power button press) and it gracefully shuts down. Sheesh.

Anyway, whether or not Windows 8 is "Microsoft's best OS yet" is irrelevant if people don't pick it up. Vista was a bomb because it was a faulty system at launch and held that stigma because the buzz everywhere was "Vista sucks." Windows 8 may be great, but the buzz has already been shelled out: "It's made or touch screens/tablets, not desktops/laptops" "Windows 7 was better; no need to upgrade" etc.

Windows 7 still feels "new" and fresh. No one has any incentive to hop onto a new Windows OS. That's just my two cents from what I've been seeing around the web and around my office and friends.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
IPlayNaked
Banned
 
Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 03-11-2013, 16:14 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Stalin View Post
It takes no clicks because Windows machines have supported soft-power for over a decade now. Just press your power button once (if you are on a laptop, make sure your power settings are set to power off on power button press) and it gracefully shuts down. Sheesh.

Anyway, whether or not Windows 8 is "Microsoft's best OS yet" is irrelevant if people don't pick it up. Vista was a bomb because it was a faulty system at launch and held that stigma because the buzz everywhere was "Vista sucks." Windows 8 may be great, but the buzz has already been shelled out: "It's made or touch screens/tablets, not desktops/laptops" "Windows 7 was better; no need to upgrade" etc.

Windows 7 still feels "new" and fresh. No one has any incentive to hop onto a new Windows OS. That's just my two cents from what I've been seeing around the web and around my office and friends.
I disagree. I've spoken to a number of reps working at best buys, Fry's, etc, and they all give me a 75-85% of people who are impressed by, or at least willing to try, Windows 8.

Yeah, you guys aren't, I don't care. I'm saying, most people generally are, I think.

I believe that the problem stems from a lot less from the UI and a lot more from the fact that computer sales are flat, or declining.

You're just not going to see the same adoption rates now as you would when growth was huge. People are buying tablets and using their phones in lieu of their PCs for many tasks.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
orky87
Member Guru
 
orky87's Avatar
 
Videocard: Ref_GTX680@1333_H2O_620
Processor: 2700K@4.9_Offset+HT_H100i
Mainboard: P8Z68_Deluxe
Memory: 8GB_G.Skill_Sniper@1886
Soundcard: Xonar_D2X+UNi Xonar v1.71
PSU: Seasonic_X-750
Default 03-11-2013, 22:01 | posts: 118 | Location: https://

When win8 first came out I hated it, now I'm giving it a shot but there is far less to like about it than to dislike however Win Blue should be out by the summer it's really a service pack but not in the straight sense because it will have a price tag similar to OS X upgrade trend. Hopefully we will see an improvement jump like 7 was to Vista. Yet I still fail to see the point of touch implementation on all desktops the only way for MS to win people over is to integrate their Metro bundle into programs and features and allow users to disable it to suit their preferences and also ban Ballmer from MS as he has difficulty understanding what the majority users want.

Last edited by orky87; 03-11-2013 at 22:11.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 03-11-2013, 22:26 | posts: 3,503 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardi View Post
"I think the Windows 8 system is no better than the previous Windows Vista platform,"

Funny guy. Now we are all using W7 as the greatest OS of all times, and the truth is it has very few improvements over Vista. Almost all key technology was already in Vista and were just polished for W7. The same will happen again. W9 will be seen as great, even if it really is going to have mostly polished W8 features.

Like How XP was for years? and still is the most used os? most people that go from XP are probably gonna go to 7 simple cause the win 8 interface
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 03-11-2013, 22:57 | posts: 16,593 | Location: US East Coast

IPlayNaked makes a very good point. A lot of people are starting to trade their laptops and desktops for tablets and smartphones.

A guy at work asked me the other day if he could buy an iPad because he wants something portable but doesn't want a laptop. Unfortunately, I had to tell him that an iPad won't work because the websites we use are designed for IE exclusively and run a browser detection script to prevent them from loading in Safari, Chrome, FF or Opera....

Most of the people I deal with regularly would rather buy tablets or smartphones....if they didn't need their laptops/desktops for their day to day activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orky87 View Post
When win8 first came out I hated it, now I'm giving it a shot but there is far less to like about it than to dislike however Win Blue should be out by the summer it's really a service pack but not in the straight sense because it will have a price tag similar to OS X upgrade trend. Hopefully we will see an improvement jump like 7 was to Vista. Yet I still fail to see the point of touch implementation on all desktops the only way for MS to win people over is to integrate their Metro bundle into programs and features and allow users to disable it to suit their preferences and also ban Ballmer from MS as he has difficulty understanding what the majority users want.
Windows has supported touch interfaces since at least Windows98. It's nothing new.... MS is just trying to create a user experience similar to what Apple has done with OSX/iOS. At least MS didn't pull a Google and create something as useless as ChromeOS.....



Last edited by sykozis; 03-11-2013 at 23:17.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Alexraptor
Maha Guru
 
Alexraptor's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 660Ti, 2048MB
Processor: Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
Memory: Vengeance, 2x4Gb 1866mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 03-11-2013, 23:39 | posts: 1,252 | Location: Sweden

Windows 8 is fine for tablets, hybrid tablets and touchscreen setups.
But It really does not belong on standard desktop computer.

Seriously, Microsoft should have just left the old Start Menu in there as an "option", as ther exists no technical reasons whatsoever for them to not have done so.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
sirrith
Maha Guru
 
sirrith's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 5850 1GB
Processor: Intel i5 3570
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 03-12-2013, 03:40 | posts: 1,569

I had to get W8 because my old laptop is dying, and there are no decent W7 machines left on sale that meet my requirements (new).

It isn't horrible, but I like it much less than W7.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.