Cat 13.x Beta Drivers: Are you experiencing a crash or black screen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Currently using the 13.2 beta 6 drivers.
    Only played Borderlands 2 and a bit of Crysis.
    Can't say I have come across any issues but then again the only game which was affected for me was Skyrim which I am currently not playing.

2. Choseh

Choseh Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    i'm experiencing driver crashes with the usual restore message and amdkmap event log entry with beta 5 and 6 - i went back to 13.1. 7970 OC here, but it also happens at stock clocks with betas 5 and 6

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    We really can't resort to the "these are just betas..." like in days pasts. We are no longer getting monthly driver updates. So if anything is wrong now people have to speak up about it and resort to an older stable build. Which appears to be 13.1 so far. So 13.X really doesn't have any real meaning right now. Perhaps they may need to change the naming scheme a bit to something like 2013.OfficialRelease_2....2013.BetaRelease_X or something.

Another thing, if the memory re-write and other fixes are only geared towards GCN why are 5000/6000 series people having problems? It appears there is more going on then just enhancements for GCN.

That's all you can really do. Just make sure you've indicated what games are giving you problems. Blackops 2 seems to have the most problems with the beta drivers. And they've had at least 3 updates since the start of the beta.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. 1bit

1bit Active Member

GPU:
    7970 / Samsung SA27950D
    beta 5s havent crashed yet but im getting stutter. Removed my overclock and the stutter lessened significantly but its still there.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Back in the day we use to try to tighten up the timing on vram to get the best performance out of them. We did it because the card we had didn't allow full CCC vram overclock so that was the next best thing. When done right you did notice a nice boost in frame rates and overall smoothness. While doing this we had to make sure that the IC's remained cool so we used IC heatsinks, etc. to do the job. Something we thought would be better then just those thermal pads. When it wasn't stable you would get recovery errors, black screen, artifacts and odd hitching. Keep in mind that those issues aren't solely the result of vram timing.

Now a days I've not seen any programs out there that let you tweak vram timing let alone let you see it. And to be honest it's not something you want to mess with.

Anyway, some of the problems remind me of that. What is the real cause remains a mystery though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  7. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Experienced 2 black screens but it wasn't crash or anything serious. Screen just blacked out for like a second (no I wasn't having a blackout cause I was aware of my sight outside of the monitor).

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    delete

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  10. theprophet

theprophet Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 GHz
    Mmm... It seems that my problem has disappeared. In case someone has the same problem, here is what I changed :
    - enable HPET in BIOS and Windows. Enabling it in your BIOS depends on your Bios, I cannot tell, but enabling it in Windows can be done issuing a bcdedit command like "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" in an administrator terminal, then reboot (see here).
    - install 13.2 beta 6.
    I cannot tell whether one or both two changes made my problem disappear, but now it seems to work.

11. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Member

GPU:
    Ati Mobility HD 5650 1GB
    Hi, although I didn't have any of mentioned problems with games like others have this set of drivers did introduce another kind of problems - not their fault. Long story short this post is for people that may have expirienced this symptoms:

"You may experience the following issues after you log on to a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2:

Your desktop does not load. You only see a blue or black background image.
    Windows Explorer does not run, and you cannot access your data.
    You receive the following message in a notification balloon:

Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
    Or your applications and pc just out of nowhere take abnormal times to respond/work properly.

This is related to NET framework 4 and a lot of people suffer from this problem

Here is more info on it and hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2590550/en-us?fr=1 This hotfix may or may not fix it (in my case it didn't)

There are 5-6 workarounds for this (none of them garanties that it will solve your problem) but they are well worth a try if you suffer from above symptoms and they are safe.

I will not spam this thread anymore as it's not drivers fault but feel free to pm me if you have problems that are described as i may be able to help you or point you in right direction to save you some time.

Cheers

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Although the above information doesn't particularly relate to this thread it's appreciated none the less.

Just make sure you are sending them those survey reports. I'm surprised that Black Ops 2 isn't fixed yet.

I would recommend a disclaimer when enabling the useplatformclock. Normally this isn't turned on and IMO for good reason as it may cause other intermittent issues. So if anyone does enable it you do so at your own risk. From my understanding enabling that in the OS works best with programs that take advantage of it.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/fbd78fc7-ec2e-46ee-aa0d-2fc168f98f86

Edit:
    I also read that if you have HPET enabled in the Bios and not in the OS you are mixing HPET with whatever the OS is using. This may or may not be the best combination. You should be able to disable HPET from the bios without it messing up your OS. Then see if there is any notable difference in smoothness at desktop and in games. But again, you assume the risks:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...ce-and-fps/page__view__findpost__p__594852327

Enabling HPET from the bios and OS can be hit or miss.
    Disabling HPET from the bios and OS (default is off) can be hit or miss.
    Enabling HPET from just the bios and mixing it with whatever the OS is using can be hit or miss.

Here is post from someone who disabled HPET from the BIOS
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23113-HPET-High-Precision-Event-Timer/page2
    Basically indicating that with it off (with his OC) he experienced the best result.

So again, it's hit or miss.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  13. theprophet

theprophet Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 GHz
    I totally agree with you : in my case, I feel that Windows is snappier with HPET enabled in Bios and OS (and it seems it removed a bit micro-stuttering in some games), but reading things here and there we understand that it totally depends on your whole configuration. That's interesting. Maybe I should try disabling HPET and check whether 13.2b6 alone fixed the issue.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There is a pretty big thread about it in the other forum.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368604

You should be able to skip to around page 8 to get an idea of how this is working for them. Take note of their hardware. The gist of it is they are using Time Resolution program to decrease the time from around 1ms to .5 ms.
    http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

There are user made derivatives of that program that will allow it to work without having to keep it maximized at desktop and start when the OS starts.

But here's the thing to all this. If we needed to change timer resolution and/or change HPET shouldn't that instruction come from the makers of the card? Has such a thing been tested by them? If such a configuration was needed to run newer drivers wouldn't/shouldn't they have told us?

In any event if you partake in this you do so at your own risk.

Edit:
    From all the posts I've read about this it seems that some that have multiple GPU setup got the best experience keeping HPET off. That means disabling it in the bios and keeping it off in windows. Those that enabled HPET in bios and OS also reduced Time Resolution to .5 in order to get the same results.

There is a program to make sure you have it on or off called WinTimerTester 1.1
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...-game-timing-problem-g60jx-3.html#post7592062

Basically if it reads 3.x HPET is disabled in OS. If it reads 14.x then it's enabled in OS.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Back to the original topic.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This really doesn't suggest any real link to the condition of the beta drivers though. Hopefully we will see a fix for Black Ops 2 and other games in a future release.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    Nothing new once monitor powers down driver crash in my case later on. TBH i got used to it :D

ps. Finally got my account activated after so many years of reading Guru3d :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

16. SapientWolf

SapientWolf Guest

GPU:
    5850 Crossfire
    I am also having this issue. I get a black or white screen and looping sound. It happens every time after about 2 minutes of gameplay. It requires a hard reset.

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  18. MoodyB

MoodyB Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 6870 IceQ
    Anyone care to recommend a driver for a 6870 that doesn't suffer from random black screens / lockups?

Tried 13.1 to start with - no joy.

Now on 12.11 betas and it's still happening randomly while gaming.

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Cat 13.3 beta 2 So far so good in Black Ops 2 "Win7"

So far I'm not experiencing the black screen problems in black ops 2 that I've seen in previous Cat 13.2 betas. However, uninstalled/installed is a tad different then before when going from Cat 12.X to Cat 13.3 beta 2.
    1. I used AMD uninstall utility to uninstall Cat 12.X drivers. Reboot to desktop.

2. Reboot again to safe mode. Made sure that Display Adapter from Device Manager didn't read ATI drivers.

3. Opened regedit and examined 2 locations:
    - The 2D Driver File Path in CCC's Information
    - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    And made sure that the information in those 2 locations are the same. The difference between the 2 is CurrentControlSet and ControlSet00"X". "X" Being the number for which the key is located (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

4. Exported (made a backup 1st) then deleted that key IE: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]. This key should be sharing both Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and ATI/CCC information. Look at the image for an example.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2378/example2f.jpg

5. Replaced it with the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Key information. It's found at the end of this post.

6. Reboot back to desktop. Defrag HD then installed cat 13.3 beta 2.

7. Keep the vram at stock and overclocked the GPU for now.

8. Play your games.

Edit:
    You only have to do this once. All other driver installs should only require you to use the driver's uninstall process.

Side note:
    Below is the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Key information. This is used when the drivers of the video card are uninstalled. Under Device Manager > Display Adapter it should read Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Copy the content below and save using notepad as VideoDrivers.reg (example). Just make sure that the extension is .reg. Also note the location of where this key is located.
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    It's generally a good idea to also check that location in regedit to see if is information found in key "/0000" (Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and CCC/ATI information) before you make changes. If not I wouldn't recommend deleting it as it's possible that it's in another location. Keep in mind this can be a little risky. You do this at your own risk.

Copy the key below...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    "InfPath"="display.inf"
    "InfSection"="vga"
    "ProviderName"="Microsoft"
    "DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,8c,a3,c5,94,c6,01
    "DriverDate"="6-21-2006"
    "DriverVersion"="6.1.7600.16385"
    "MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\cc_0300"
    "DriverDesc"="Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"
    "FeatureScore"=dword:000000fe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings]
    "InstalledDisplayDrivers"=hex(7):76,00,67,00,61,00,00,00,66,00,72,00,61,00,6d,\
    00,65,00,62,00,75,00,66,00,00,00,76,00,67,00,61,00,32,00,35,00,36,00,00,00,\
    76,00,67,00,61,00,36,00,34,00,6b,00,00,00,00,00
    "VgaCompatible"=dword:00000001
    "Device Description"="Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I had a couple of black screen/sleeping monitor occurrences w/ 13.1 or maybe early 13.2 beta's.

As soon as I updated drivers again the problem disappeared. Not really a big deal tbh.