Fellow GTX680 3 or 4x SLI owners... Titan plans?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mlambert890, Feb 26, 2013.

1. mlambert890

mlambert890 Guest

GPU:
    GTXTitan@1200 tri-SLI
    Really struggling with this and curious what other folks are thinking. The noise, heat and power benefits seem solid, but the writing is on the wall that perf gain will be only marginal at this level unless you move from like to like (3 to 3, 4 to 4)

I currently run 3xGTX680 4GB on 3x1680 3D panels (so 5040x1050x120hz worst case). Performance is a mixed bag even with 3x680, but I'm not sure Titan SLI fixes that.

Anyway... Just wondering how others are thinking about this...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I have GTX 670 2GB 3-way SLi and I'd love to get GTX Titan SLi if it wasn't for the outrageous price tag. One Titan costs the same as 3x GTX 670 2GB here in Denmark (USD$1360 or 7599 Dkk).
    I can't really justify that because:
    1) The resale of the GTX's 670 will not even cover the expenses of one Titan
    2) 3x GTX 670 vs 1x Titan a massive performance drop overall (40% loss or more).
    3) 3-way SLi hasn't really caused me any problems in many years anyhow

Still... against all common sense I really want a pair of Titans, but that's not gonna happen within this year. It would make more sense to wait till Q1 2014 when GTX 780's and AMD HD8xxx series have hit the selves, then the price on Titans may be lowered considerably since the GTX 780 and HD8xxx most likely will close the performance gap between GTX 680/HD7970 vs GTX Titan considerably.

But again... against all logical reasoning, I want GTX Titan SLi now :nerd:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Gomi

Gomi Member

GPU:
    4-way GTX 680 Classified
    Like Gripen said, the pricetag on the Titan is just WAY too high (Me being a Dane like Gripen) to justify an "upgrade" (And I am using the term upgrade very lightly, as the only really upgrade would be to have a card or two less in the rig).

When I bought my 4 way SLI I went for the eVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Coppers - I simply soldered the EVBOT ports on myself (Took 10 minutes) and I can bench at around (Depends on bench of course) 1500Mhz on the CORE with the 1.35 the EVBOT allows you to crank into the cards. So yah, personally a TITAN would not really offer me any benefits (Except for folding, where I been told that the new DP mode allows for some insane PPD).

4. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Yeah it's truly shocking really.

Still thank goodness for people like you who run multiple monitors at 120hz, as the more call we have for the performance requirements for that sort of gaming truly increases the chances we will actually get decent GPU power for sensible prices.

Because at this time, its PATHETIC, I mean last year we should have had the TITAN, not the 680, as a £400 (AT MOST) card, that would have been PASSABLE.

People want to play on 3 monitors at 120FPS and with larger and larger monitors or HDTV's being used we want 8xAA as well - it's 20-fkn-13 for CHRISTS sake. GPU PRICE/POWER is PATHETICALLY PATHETIC and so over priced I am physically training my eyes to handle the slideshow that is 30FPS just so I can learn to play on consoles and avoid this garbled mess we are fed as 'HIGH END' GPU's

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

Why don't you start producing your own £400 top end GPUs if you're not happy with the market? Hope you head off to the xbox forums sooner rather than later!

I remember paying over £1500 for a top-end 486DX system back in the day. A good Intel setup with a Titan wont cost much more than that so in real-terms, prices have come down since then.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    If you don't care about money they will do the job but if you care stay away until the price drops.

7. King4x4

King4x4 Guest

GPU:
    4xSapphire 290x@1200mhz
    Got three 680s... oh look EK Waterblocks for them!

Let Nvidia keep their "titan" to themselves!

8. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Yeah, the 670 card (aswell as the 7950) is ridiculously cheap in denmark... but with 3 way sli, surely you wouldnt get a big enough upgrade to justify replacing your 670s... that is unless youre getting vram bottlenecked (like im already starting to get with crysis 3 at 1440p).

I know im gonna wait for maxwell though, which is surposed to be leaps ahead of current cards in terms of performance.

9. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Yea, I can see the Vram limit with Super Sampling, but it's not so important than I can't just settle with normal multi sampling in 1440p and things still look great.

I think Maxwell will be the most sensible option upgrading to also... It's just that "upgrade itch" you know ;)

10. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    Upgrading itch is not a condition that i suffer from, as you can see on my processor :p

I usually dont upgrade, unless there is a decent performance improvement to be optained (30+ %). Before 680 sli, i was using 295 quad sli... which just shows how long i sticked with those cards, despite being techniqually outdated (dx10) but i just couldnt justify upgrading them, as they were still about as fast as 480 sli.

Regarding vram limit... i reach the vram limit in crysis 3 just by using 1440p, vhigh and msaa 4x... lol

But i think 2tx smaa looks better than 4x msaa anyways, so i use that instead :p