NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan preview [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    You basicly had some dump luck dude. I have my GTX480's for nearly 3 years now. I bought them day one and put a EK WC block on them like a month later and i must say the 480 is build like a tank.

I agree with being hot and power hungry (on air) but on water my babies fly! :D

Now for the Titan i will do the same buy 1 now and a few months later the second and slap a EK block on them ...

Upgrade TIME !!!! :infinity: :banana:

Edit: First wait for reviews ... :bang:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Plus, it won't always be slower.
    When SLI scaling isn't great it will be faster.

3. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Sorry but this card was initially intended to be released as a gtx 680 at I'm assuming a £450 price point.

Not only have they made extra money from an inferior product released as the 680 but now their trying to release this as a £800 offering.

I already feel dirty for owning 2x680's. Makes me wonder if AMD wasnt around we would probably be paying £1000 for a Riva TNT 2.

Hopefully AMD's partnership with Sony/Microsoft will help line their pockets and alow them to push some more cash into their R&D.

I think i'll personally wait for the 780 which will hopefully be of similar or better performance and at a price point that dosent scream 20% Profit, 30% R&D & 50% your a tool.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well 6 GB of VRAM would be utterly wasted on me as I have a single 24" IPS 1920x1200 display which suits me fine and I have no plans to upgrade to a higher resolution one any time soon and I hate the idea of multi-monitor gaming (doesn't the bezel annoy you? It would me.). 99.5% of my games rarely exceed 1 GB of VRAM even with high levels of AA forced and triple buffering enabled, 0.3% fall into the 1-2 GB band and only a mere handful need more than 2 GB. So, yes, a 3 GB card would be perfect for me.

I certainly would not pay £800+ for a single GPU card with 6 GB of VRAM; it would be pointless, no matter how powerful it might be. On the other hand, if someone gave me one... ;)

I'm happy to wait for the true GTX 780... I think... I guess I'll find out tomorrow but the rumoured performance doesn't sound that great compared with GTX 690 or GTX 680 SLI, which is what I have already.

5. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    If I were to buy this card I'd want to push 120fps in most games, and as such I'd already own a monitor that supports 120hz as it makes a huge difference.

6. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Dito, if these cards were at a $700 price point I'd buy two of them. Drop the ram to 4gb, replace the shiny faceplate with a plastic one and your at the $700 mark... But then they would be killing the sales of their 680's.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Now the card has too many features? Those gk 110 Tesla cards are over $3000 bucks, I am Damn sure it will sell out even at that pricetag

8. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    How many are they producing? I've heard 10,000 of the puppies. I'm sure they will sell out in a flash. I dont think that's ever been debated.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What is the reason for the Titan being limited to 10,000? Is it just an excuse to sell them at an inflated price or is there some other genuine reason why?

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Graphics cards are made in batches based on yields and demand.

Considering GK110 has been baked for over a year now, I'm pretty sure that NV has more than 10K units in its warehouses.

There is no hard claim that there are only 10,000 cards available, but it would make sense as it is an expensive product that is limited to the budget of not that many people. If demand is high there will be another production run, as simple as that.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, Hilbert.

12. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Both Price And GPU are overkill ;D

13. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Same business logic behind Rolex limiting production of their watches.

14. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Exactly, if the cards do sell well and their stock begins to run low we may actualy find the price increasing to cope with demand. (unfortuntly)

Sadly prices dont seem to be going in the right direction at the moment. In the UK I could have picked up a GTX 670 for £250 a month ago, lucky to find one for under £290 now.

Ram will/is also due for a price hike as they are ramping down production to create more demand. So if you havent gone out and purchased that 32gig of Corsair yet dont waste any time!

15. Gadgety

Gadgety Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 3GB
    Really looking forward to your in depth test. I'm looking to replace 3x580GTX 3GB with 1 Titan with ONE objective: GPU rendering. Hopefully the changes compared to the other Kepler, the GTX680, will make it possibly for VRay-RT, Octane and other GPU render software to run like the wind on the Titan. Any hope for commentary from you on this in your review?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Here in Serbia you can pick up GTX680 for 370€ and i dont think you can find it anywere that cheap like here. (HD 7970's are even cheaper)
    So picking up SLI two of 680' cost no more than 740€...why would you pay 1000€ for this thing i simply don't understand.

17. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Nice! cheapest GTX680 here in The Netherlands is around €425,-

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Undying is that price from a online shop? Because I checked 2 online serbian shops and the cheapest 680 was like 45-46000+ Serbian Dinar(400-410+euros). It was an MSI 680 Twin Frozr.

I ask because I wanna see if they ship here, if its from an e-shop. :D

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I wonder how fast there will be some descent waterblocks for this card.
    One thing to remember, the Titan will not suffer from low to no support for SLI scaling when you compare a single Titan vs a GTX690.
    6GB would also do something with 5-6 GB Skyrim texture packs?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  20. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    You guys got me double checking prices here in the UK.

I found 5 x EVGA GTX 680 SC with 4 gig memory going for £73 pound each on Amazon, checked and double checked again in disbelief and purchased all 5 of them...

10 mins later they were removed from the site and I got an email saying my order had been cancelled :D

Shame on me and SHAME on Amazon!