Cat 13.x Beta Drivers: Are you experiencing a crash or black screen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Anyone else noticed that reduced OC or using original OEM stock clock helped with stability with the beta drivers?

2. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Gone back to 12.11 beta 11 with CAP 2.
    While there is still a little image corruption in DX9 with these, I do not get random CTD in Skyrim.

AMD when are you going to make drivers which resolve problems without gaining new ones.

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You might get away with it if you lower your OC'ing for your GPU/Memory. I wonder if you get the same performance at lower gpu/memory clock rates with the beta drivers then with older drivers at higher clock rates.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    I also had 2 crashes so far with 13.2 beta 3, one in Dead Space 3 and one in World of Tanks. If it happens again going to try beta 5, but for now only two crashes is not such a big issue.

5. Tyestor

Tyestor Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6950 2GB
    I'm getting weird black screen flashes while playing Neverwinter. Not sure if it's the drivers, the game or a combination of both. Neverwinter is in beta and I'm using the beta drivers too (13.2 Beta 5).

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you experience the issue at all, regardless of frequency or not, uninstall the drivers and just go back to the older drivers that worked for you. If you can using AMD's separate uninstall program.

7. jvdamdshdt

jvdamdshdt Member

GPU:
    HD 4250
    Yes, I am too having black out problems. My graphics card crashed even though it's not overclocked.

8. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    and what about small hangups in games like rage im the only one with this particulary problem?

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Can you explain what exactly you are experiencing?

10. Maddog

Maddog New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    No problems with Beta4 so far in games: LOL, WOT, Tera Online, DmC, Path Of Exile. No problems with power saving, BSODs or CTDs.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  12. Racetrack

Racetrack Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB
    Sleeping Dogs doesn't work in Crossfire with these drivers for me. With 2 or 3 gpus it'll either lock up my computer requiring a hard reset or it'll crash the AMD drivers and it'll recover.

13. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Well we all do get CTD or blackscreen while playing games i think this 13.2 batch is all about performance but no stability let wait for next driver until then keep filing bug report to amd.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Here is something I found regarding black ops 2
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34016660&postcount=1

This person also suggests that you run at stock clocks to prevent the issues.

Edit:
    I also found information about the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered" information from MS. You shouldn't have to edit the registry values. Just wait for a fix from AMD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

Manual registry edit:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

The 2 links above should be just for reference regarding recovery.

15. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Personally from what I gather it seems to be a struggle between marketing and making their drivers stable in all games.

AMD seems to keep at the whole performance increase thing which is fine but why should we care if the driver are being flaky depending on what card you use and what game you play?

As it is obvious far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 Crossfire are their primary projects which is kind of frustrating for me as I see this as marketing.

As eastcoast has mentioned running the card at the stock clocks of the reference card is a work around but still we should not have to do this.

I'll probably give the latest beta 6 drivers a go and see if the results are the same.

16. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I wonder if the sub-timing of the IC memory was changed in the beta drivers? Although not conclusive you can do a test using 3D11 or the newer one with old drivers OC'ing just the memory at your normal speed. Then use beta 5/6 and keep the memory at stock settings. Is there a difference?

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Looks like someone did the work for us. Although it's not driver related it does give some insight there there is a vram clock rate, sweet spot.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2301435

Overall, I'm guessing that you can keep gpu clocks the same. Only the vram clock rate needs to be lowered.

18. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Things I've done to stabilise my 7950 with the 13.2 betas:

Run MSI Afterburner using -xcl instead of the standard way of unlocking settings. I also stick with 2.2.4 since later versions often give me a black unwakeable screen after booting into Windows (can take a few seconds, then the screen turns black and isn't getting any signal).

I've disabled "monitor sleep" since it usually wont' wake up most of the time after it goes to sleep mode. I turn off the monitor manually instead when I leave the PC running.

I've enabled the High Precision Timer in Windows 7 x64 (doesn't matter if it's enabled in UEFI/BIOS, you must manually do it in Windows to force it to use the High Precision Timer, otherwise it will use the older timers).

Since then I've been 100% stable (except when OC'ing too much for the new 3dmark and the new Unigine benchmarks). The games I've tried all seem to work fine (FEAR, Antichamber, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, old DX9 titles that with earlier drivers had flashing textures), and no corruptions in the DX11 benchmarks either.

I also increased vRAM speed from 1600 to 1700 and gained a bit in Valley and Heaven 4. Now I have a ridiculous bandwidth of 326.4GB/s vRAM. Haven't bothered pushing it even higher. GPU set to 1150 (set it to 1185 when benching but it get's rather hot since it requires a little more "juice").

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You shouldn't have to do all that though. When updating drivers nothing should be changed in clock rate or OS unless specifically instructed when installing the drivers. Everything should be as stable as it was when installing the previous driver.

All people can do is wait for a better driver. They've already reported the problems to them already.

20. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    To me it seems the Never Settle drivers (for me it started with 12.11b I think) actually changed something with the different power states that is the real culprit. I seem to have remember reading about that in some other forum (xtremesystems) and since there are no BIOS-editors for GCN-based cards where we can customise the power states and avoid the drivers triggering/buggering/hanging the power states we'll have to sort out the problems any way we can.

Besides, these are betas, I doubt the issues will be ironed out before we see 13.5 or later since they're rewriting the memory management system which will take a couple of versions to debug and get just right not to mention all the other tweaks and things they're doing to improve performance.