Need help with picking new mobo

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by ToBbErT, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Im having such a hard time making decisions. I would love to go crossfire but i see that my sapphire 7870 OC edition is allready EOL.... My card is 11 months old and allready unavailable... Its been replaced by sapphire 7870 XT. There are a few still available but overpriced. I really want two identical gpu's to avoid any problems :( And also micro stutter seems a common problem but on the other hand i really need some extra power for my 2560x1440 screen. You guys think two differend 7870 would cause any trouble? And has micro stutter improved or is it a permanent problem wich cant be solved?

The 7870 OC edition is still available my bad. It is a new version though with a differend cooler and the position of the power input has been changed from the side to the rear. Maybe some other things idk. After alot of reading i made the decision to still go for crossfire. Ive no problems with tweaking stuff so it shouldnt be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

For the most part this may be true, but there are exceptions. For instance RE5 maxed settings including AA at 1080p my GTX 680 is bottlenecked by my overclocked 2600K. Moving from 1600 - 2133 memory provided a very nice 10-15 fps boost. Granted I was already pushing well over 120fps, but still the purpose of the comparison is to show there is more performance potential with faster clocked memory and good timings. Honestly, it all comes down to what you can afford, and knowing where there are diminishing returns. If I was on a budget would I buy 2133 memory? Nah, put the money toward something else.

Well memory failed me, it wasn't 10-15fps. Still an improvement especially the closer you get toward CPU bound.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  3. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    I didnt expect the difference to be that huge. Always nice to see some numbers :)