Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

Old
  (#26)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-10-2013, 17:40 | posts: 1,550

If you experience the issue at all, regardless of frequency or not, uninstall the drivers and just go back to the older drivers that worked for you. If you can using AMD's separate uninstall program.

Old
  (#27)
jvdamdshdt

Videocard: HD 4250
Processor: Athlon
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: None
Default 02-11-2013, 00:09 | posts: 12

Yes, I am too having black out problems. My graphics card crashed even though it's not overclocked.

Old
  (#28)
elite69
Master Guru

Videocard: not shore
Processor: core i5 later
Mainboard: asus later
Memory: ddr3 later
Soundcard: on board.pioneer
PSU: tacens v-850
Default 02-11-2013, 23:06 | posts: 349 | Location: portugal

and what about small hangups in games like rage im the only one with this particulary problem?

Old
  (#29)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-13-2013, 19:35 | posts: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite69 View Post
and what about small hangups in games like rage im the only one with this particulary problem?
Can you explain what exactly you are experiencing?

Old
  (#30)
Maddog

Videocard: Sapphire 7870
Processor: i5 3570K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: XFX Core 550W
Default 02-14-2013, 08:45 | posts: 4

No problems with Beta4 so far in games: LOL, WOT, Tera Online, DmC, Path Of Exile. No problems with power saving, BSODs or CTDs.

Old
  (#31)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-19-2013, 04:41 | posts: 1,550

Beta 6 is out did it fix the black screen/ctd issues (Black Ops 2, etc)?

Edit:
Well that didn't take long. So far the issue isn't fixed with the beta 6 for at least one person so far.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...6&postcount=98

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-19-2013 at 04:44.

Old
  (#32)
Racetrack

Videocard: AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB
Processor: AMD A10-5750M
Mainboard: MSI GX60
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 180W AC Adapter
Default 02-19-2013, 04:51 | posts: 39

Sleeping Dogs doesn't work in Crossfire with these drivers for me. With 2 or 3 gpus it'll either lock up my computer requiring a hard reset or it'll crash the AMD drivers and it'll recover.

Old
  (#33)
nikitash
Banned

Videocard: MSI R6870 HAWK
Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.0 ghz
Mainboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
Memory: 8GB DDR3 Gskill1600MHZCL9
Soundcard: Realtek Lossless HD codec
PSU: Coolermaster 600W Silent
Default 02-19-2013, 04:53 | posts: 337 | Location: India

Well we all do get CTD or blackscreen while playing games i think this 13.2 batch is all about performance but no stability let wait for next driver until then keep filing bug report to amd.

Last edited by nikitash; 02-19-2013 at 04:56.

Old
  (#34)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-19-2013, 04:55 | posts: 1,550

Here is something I found regarding black ops 2
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...60&postcount=1

This person also suggests that you run at stock clocks to prevent the issues.

Edit:
I also found information about the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered" information from MS. You shouldn't have to edit the registry values. Just wait for a fix from AMD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

Manual registry edit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../gg487368.aspx

The 2 links above should be just for reference regarding recovery.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-19-2013 at 05:13.

Old
  (#35)
WiFry
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Soundcard: Infrasonic Quartet
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-19-2013, 18:11 | posts: 103 | Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitash View Post
Well we all do get CTD or blackscreen while playing games i think this 13.2 batch is all about performance but no stability let wait for next driver until then keep filing bug report to amd.
Personally from what I gather it seems to be a struggle between marketing and making their drivers stable in all games.

AMD seems to keep at the whole performance increase thing which is fine but why should we care if the driver are being flaky depending on what card you use and what game you play?

As it is obvious far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 Crossfire are their primary projects which is kind of frustrating for me as I see this as marketing.

As eastcoast has mentioned running the card at the stock clocks of the reference card is a work around but still we should not have to do this.

I'll probably give the latest beta 6 drivers a go and see if the results are the same.

Old
  (#36)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-19-2013, 20:29 | posts: 1,550

I wonder if the sub-timing of the IC memory was changed in the beta drivers? Although not conclusive you can do a test using 3D11 or the newer one with old drivers OC'ing just the memory at your normal speed. Then use beta 5/6 and keep the memory at stock settings. Is there a difference?

Old
  (#37)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-20-2013, 20:56 | posts: 1,550

Looks like someone did the work for us. Although it's not driver related it does give some insight there there is a vram clock rate, sweet spot.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2301435

Overall, I'm guessing that you can keep gpu clocks the same. Only the vram clock rate needs to be lowered.

Old
  (#38)
Scyphe
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mainboard: MSI Z77-GD65
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3
Soundcard: Line6 POD HD300
PSU: Corsair RM750
Default 02-21-2013, 05:55 | posts: 413 | Location: Sweden

Things I've done to stabilise my 7950 with the 13.2 betas:

Run MSI Afterburner using -xcl instead of the standard way of unlocking settings. I also stick with 2.2.4 since later versions often give me a black unwakeable screen after booting into Windows (can take a few seconds, then the screen turns black and isn't getting any signal).

I've disabled "monitor sleep" since it usually wont' wake up most of the time after it goes to sleep mode. I turn off the monitor manually instead when I leave the PC running.

I've enabled the High Precision Timer in Windows 7 x64 (doesn't matter if it's enabled in UEFI/BIOS, you must manually do it in Windows to force it to use the High Precision Timer, otherwise it will use the older timers).

Since then I've been 100% stable (except when OC'ing too much for the new 3dmark and the new Unigine benchmarks). The games I've tried all seem to work fine (FEAR, Antichamber, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, old DX9 titles that with earlier drivers had flashing textures), and no corruptions in the DX11 benchmarks either.

I also increased vRAM speed from 1600 to 1700 and gained a bit in Valley and Heaven 4. Now I have a ridiculous bandwidth of 326.4GB/s vRAM. Haven't bothered pushing it even higher. GPU set to 1150 (set it to 1185 when benching but it get's rather hot since it requires a little more "juice").

Last edited by Scyphe; 02-21-2013 at 05:58.

Old
  (#39)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-22-2013, 15:58 | posts: 1,550

You shouldn't have to do all that though. When updating drivers nothing should be changed in clock rate or OS unless specifically instructed when installing the drivers. Everything should be as stable as it was when installing the previous driver.

All people can do is wait for a better driver. They've already reported the problems to them already.

Old
  (#40)
Scyphe
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mainboard: MSI Z77-GD65
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3
Soundcard: Line6 POD HD300
PSU: Corsair RM750
Default 02-22-2013, 16:04 | posts: 413 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
You shouldn't have to do all that though. When updating drivers nothing should be changed in clock rate or OS unless specifically instructed when installing the drivers. Everything should be as stable as it was when installing the previous driver.

All people can do is wait for a better driver. They've already reported the problems to them already.
To me it seems the Never Settle drivers (for me it started with 12.11b I think) actually changed something with the different power states that is the real culprit. I seem to have remember reading about that in some other forum (xtremesystems) and since there are no BIOS-editors for GCN-based cards where we can customise the power states and avoid the drivers triggering/buggering/hanging the power states we'll have to sort out the problems any way we can.

Besides, these are betas, I doubt the issues will be ironed out before we see 13.5 or later since they're rewriting the memory management system which will take a couple of versions to debug and get just right not to mention all the other tweaks and things they're doing to improve performance.

Old
  (#41)
WiFry
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Soundcard: Infrasonic Quartet
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-22-2013, 19:18 | posts: 103 | Location: New Zealand

Currently using the 13.2 beta 6 drivers.
Only played Borderlands 2 and a bit of Crysis.
Can't say I have come across any issues but then again the only game which was affected for me was Skyrim which I am currently not playing.

Old
  (#42)
Choseh

Videocard: Sapphire 7970 3GB
Processor: i7-2600
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: NesteQ x-strike 600W
Default 02-22-2013, 21:25 | posts: 11

i'm experiencing driver crashes with the usual restore message and amdkmap event log entry with beta 5 and 6 - i went back to 13.1. 7970 OC here, but it also happens at stock clocks with betas 5 and 6

Old
  (#43)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-22-2013, 22:25 | posts: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyphe View Post
To me it seems the Never Settle drivers (for me it started with 12.11b I think) actually changed something with the different power states that is the real culprit. I seem to have remember reading about that in some other forum (xtremesystems) and since there are no BIOS-editors for GCN-based cards where we can customise the power states and avoid the drivers triggering/buggering/hanging the power states we'll have to sort out the problems any way we can.

Besides, these are betas, I doubt the issues will be ironed out before we see 13.5 or later since they're rewriting the memory management system which will take a couple of versions to debug and get just right not to mention all the other tweaks and things they're doing to improve performance.
We really can't resort to the "these are just betas..." like in days pasts. We are no longer getting monthly driver updates. So if anything is wrong now people have to speak up about it and resort to an older stable build. Which appears to be 13.1 so far. So 13.X really doesn't have any real meaning right now. Perhaps they may need to change the naming scheme a bit to something like 2013.OfficialRelease_2....2013.BetaRelease_X or something.

Another thing, if the memory re-write and other fixes are only geared towards GCN why are 5000/6000 series people having problems? It appears there is more going on then just enhancements for GCN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choseh View Post
i'm experiencing driver crashes with the usual restore message and amdkmap event log entry with beta 5 and 6 - i went back to 13.1. 7970 OC here, but it also happens at stock clocks with betas 5 and 6
That's all you can really do. Just make sure you've indicated what games are giving you problems. Blackops 2 seems to have the most problems with the beta drivers. And they've had at least 3 updates since the start of the beta.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-22-2013 at 22:38.

Old
  (#44)
1bit
Member Guru

Videocard: 7970 / Samsung SA27950D
Processor: i7 2600k 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
Memory: 8GB Ram
Soundcard: Creative ZxR
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 02-23-2013, 00:03 | posts: 67 | Location: Uk, England

beta 5s havent crashed yet but im getting stutter. Removed my overclock and the stutter lessened significantly but its still there.

Old
  (#45)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-23-2013, 01:40 | posts: 1,550

Back in the day we use to try to tighten up the timing on vram to get the best performance out of them. We did it because the card we had didn't allow full CCC vram overclock so that was the next best thing. When done right you did notice a nice boost in frame rates and overall smoothness. While doing this we had to make sure that the IC's remained cool so we used IC heatsinks, etc. to do the job. Something we thought would be better then just those thermal pads. When it wasn't stable you would get recovery errors, black screen, artifacts and odd hitching. Keep in mind that those issues aren't solely the result of vram timing.

Now a days I've not seen any programs out there that let you tweak vram timing let alone let you see it. And to be honest it's not something you want to mess with.

Anyway, some of the problems remind me of that. What is the real cause remains a mystery though.

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-23-2013 at 03:41.

Old
  (#46)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2013, 16:07 | posts: 1,550

Another person having problems with Black Ops 2
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=3085127

Old
  (#47)
Gaizokubanou
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970
Processor: i7 930 @ 3.8ghz 1.25v
Mainboard: Asus P6X56D-E
Memory: DDR3 6GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Default 02-26-2013, 16:18 | posts: 1,234

Experienced 2 black screens but it wasn't crash or anything serious. Screen just blacked out for like a second (no I wasn't having a blackout cause I was aware of my sight outside of the monitor).

Old
  (#48)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-27-2013, 16:56 | posts: 1,550

delete

Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 02-28-2013 at 05:00.

Old
  (#49)
Eastcoasthandle
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-28-2013, 04:59 | posts: 1,550

Results with Beta 7 with Black Ops 2
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=35
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=36

Old
  (#50)
theprophet

Videocard: Sapphire HD7870 GHz
Processor: Amd Phenom II x4 945
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Fortron / FSP
Default 02-28-2013, 09:17 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprophet View Post
Same thing here : with the 13.x drivers (official 13.1, all 13.2 beta), when my monitor goes to power saving mode, I can't manage to wake it up, even by powering it off/on. The computer sometimes hang and sometimes not (I let some music play to be able to know whether it hanged or not).
With the 12.11 beta 11, everything works mostly fine : monitor can go to power saving mode without computer hanging. Sometimes, the monitor just goes black instead of power saving but when I move the mouse or hit a key, it comes back to the desktop. The 12.11 beta 8 had all working fine.
(using a Sapphire HD 7870 GHz edition)
Mmm... It seems that my problem has disappeared. In case someone has the same problem, here is what I changed :
- enable HPET in BIOS and Windows. Enabling it in your BIOS depends on your Bios, I cannot tell, but enabling it in Windows can be done issuing a bcdedit command like "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" in an administrator terminal, then reboot (see here).
- install 13.2 beta 6.
I cannot tell whether one or both two changes made my problem disappear, but now it seems to work.