Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Tablets and Smart Phones
Tablets and Smart Phones Got that new HTC or Samsung Galaxy ? Discuss mobile devices, pads and tabs here.

MS Windows 8/RT discussion Topic
Old
  (#1)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX 680 @ 27" SA950
Processor: I7 4770K @ 3.5 GHZ
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 PRO
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Soundcard: ONBOARD & LOGITECH Z906
PSU: Coolermaster something
Default MS Windows 8/RT discussion Topic - 01-23-2013, 09:28 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Well, there is a conversation is going on in W8 threat. If it is okay, lets continue in here.

Some members already talked m

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1net1cs View Post
The thing is, WinRT is a bit DOA.
A full Win8 (not RT) tablets (like Surface Pro) powered with IB or Haswell CPUs are coming around shortly, and most people only knows WinRT as 'Surface' due to MS unfocused advertisements, thus expecting a 'Surface' to have a full Win8 OS when it's not, further dwindling any already established interests; please view this from the average Joe/Jane's perspective, not us the more experienced PC users.

Which is, of course, a Surface isn't a full Win8 device, nor any other WinRT devices.
WinRT tries to fill whatever imaginary gap iOS and Android didn't manage to fill.
Moreover, WinRT devices are severely impacted by its price.

Apple made it just fine with high prices because they were "first", along with its walled garden ecosystem and a well-established user base and brand.
Google (with Android) made it just fine because most of Android devices are available on any price range imaginable.
MS came late with WinRT, offers nothing more than both iOS and Android aside from it being "Windows" but falls short of it being a full Windows, and competes in the high-end range price-wise, and no cheaper variants.
If there's any (probable) advantage of Surface (or any other WinRT devices, I presume) is that it has Office included.

Heck, even RIM's upcoming BB10 has more devs developing apps for it compared to WinRT.
Most WinRT devs are either rather pissed-off or being apologetic due to MS inadvertently killing WinRT with its device's price range and the shortly upcoming full Win8 tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
I was considering a "Surface" tablet until I saw the prices.... Unlike alot of Android tablets....Surface isn't aimed at the average consumer. It's price proves that. The average consumer can't afford a $500 tablet with limited functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
.... it's not really aimed at being a competitor to Android tablets. The standard Surface tablet basically has no less functionality than an iPad.... if not actually having MORE functionality. And the Surface Pro starts at $900, but IS a full-fledged Windows 8 OS on a tablet, capable of running any program your desktop can. Probably the main thing that's the cause for price differences between Android tablets and iOS/W8 tablets is the nature of the OS... that being that Android is completely open source and free to anyone.

and on another note.... yep.... no display on TV due to HDMI cable being sh*t.
Quote:
iOS has a considerably larger app library than WinRT....which to most users, makes it worth more than Surface. There's also the sense of stability that comes with an iPad...you know it's not going to become completely worthless because Apple decides to release a new version (like what MS did to WP7 users with WP8)....

Whether WinRT was intended to be a competitor to Android or not....it's being sold in the same market and as a result, will be competing directly with Android. There's no way to avoid it.
Quote:
WindowsRT devices do not support x86 software at all.... That's why I said the Surface tablet has limited functionality. If you want x86 compatibility....you have to pay the extortionist price tag on the Surface Pro....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
How is it "Extortionist"? It's essentially an ultrabook that you can use on the go WITHOUT looking like you're someone who'd take pictures/video at a public place with an iPad.... and the cheapest ultrabook with a touchscreen is still $700.
Quote:
Show me where they've invested even 50% of it's sale price to actually build it.... MS has had a greater than 50% profit margin on the WinRT based Surface....I'd expect to see the same profit margin on the Surface Pro....which is ripping off consumers. Neither are "premium" devices....nor do they offer a "premium" experience.

I can get an Android based tablet that's more capable for half what a Surface costs....or just as capable for less than half of what a Surface Pro is going to cost. The only thing that might be lacking, is printer support....which is negligible for most people anyway.

Also, Ultrabooks have a reasonable profit margin on the entry-level and mainstream models.
Im happy with my Lenovo Yoga 11" tablet-Laptop. It is RT windows. It wont run exe files. But still flexible than my ipad or android tablet interms of usability. Easy to use, surfing is fast and multi tasking capability is just like windows.

Anyway, i dont need to run games on it ninhave devices for that. But i would like to run some exe programs to benefit. Such as logmein remote computer program or security camera dvr program which uses activex browser method too but unfortunately windows8 ie wont run activex

Last edited by Mr.Bigtime; 01-23-2013 at 09:31.

Old
  (#2)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 01-23-2013, 22:49 | posts: 5,805 | Location: Sandbox

"
http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.p...44#post4507744

it feels like an orphan "

*sympathy post*

Old
  (#3)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-23-2013, 22:56 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Lol. Nobody cares about windows tablets. I'm a sad person =(

Old
  (#4)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 01-24-2013, 01:26 | posts: 15,585 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bigtime View Post
well it is crystal clear that W8 RT can do multi tasking as easy as a normal W8 OS

and i must add that my Galaxy TAB 2 10.1 can does printing lol ..well iam selling it anyway after yoga.. i put it into online selling site.

and.. multi tasking is still abit cheezy on android tablets, dont u think so? at least not as good as W8 RT. and y u no continue in here : (

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.p...44#post4507744

it feels like an orphan :.(
My android tablet doesn't do multi-tasking....lol. It's a Craig 7" tablet with Android 2.2 and a 700mhz ARM9 processor and 256mb ram. My android phone works just fine once TouchWiz is replaced by something that actually works.....such as Nemus launcher.

Old
  (#5)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: Seasonic 650W
Default 01-24-2013, 01:50 | posts: 8,500 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Again, sykozis, i'm not really talking about Windows 8 RT when i'm talking about Android not coming close to being as capable. I'm talking about Surface Pro, or any tablet that's running the full-fledged Windows 8.... which technically could run any game you'd play on your PC, not just "cheesy games". Surface Pro uses an Intel Core i5 processor with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset, and has 4GB of dual channel memory... double that of the standard Surface tablet running on Tegra 3. It has a full-size USB 3.0 port, which yes, you can use a USB OTG adapter for tablets and other android phones to use some stuff, but i'm pretty sure there are still things that they wouldn't support over USB that Windows obviously would. It also has a DisplayPort connection so you could connect it to a secondary monitor, which again you could do with android devices, but it doesn't really increase productivity on those... generally just mirror's the screen. And i wouldn't be surprised if we see a Port Replicator come out for the Surface Pro to allow you to connect a whole lot more to it, as they have for laptops and such.

Old
  (#6)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2013, 02:04 | posts: 15,585 | Location: US East Coast

So....spend $899 for the Surface Pro. Spend about $100-150 for it's keyboard/cover. Then buy a mouse...... At that point, might as well buy an Ultrabook. You can get a decent 10" Android tablet for $350....that on purely tablet features/function, is just as capable as ANY Surface tablet. If you want a laptop....buy a laptop. If you want a tablet, buy a tablet. Why buy a confused device trying to do both?

Old
  (#7)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2013, 02:32 | posts: 5,805 | Location: Sandbox

It's a laptop with a detachable screen & optional keyboard and not a tablet.

Old
  (#8)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2013, 02:34 | posts: 15,585 | Location: US East Coast

MS advertises it as the Surface tablet and Surface Pro tablet.....

Old
  (#9)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2013, 02:36 | posts: 5,805 | Location: Sandbox

They can call it Lindt licensed dark chocolate tablets all I care.

Old
  (#10)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2013, 14:39 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
MS advertises it as the Surface tablet and Surface Pro tablet.....
i dont know if Surface is same as My Lenovo Yoga 11"..will heck it out..price tag and hardware.

here is Surface/PRO

And Surface Rivals

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mic..._id7181/rivals

by the way my Yoga comes with HDMI output too..not bad.

Last edited by Mr.Bigtime; 01-24-2013 at 14:45.

Old
  (#11)
Lycronis
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX460 1GB SLI
Processor: i7 4770K - Kuhler 920
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite 2i4 & KRK R6G2
PSU: Antec TPNew 750 Blue
Default 01-24-2013, 16:30 | posts: 1,046 | Location: South China, Maine USA

Quote:
Why buy a confused device trying to do both?
Because from what I've seen the Surface Pro isn't confused at all. It can do both. Granted, the price is a bit high but that's normal considering it's a new product. Also, why would you need to buy a mouse? With touch screen and track pads on either of the keyboards I really don't see the reason for needing a mouse. Not to mention you can just use any mouse you may already have.

Old
  (#12)
F1refly
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 01-24-2013, 23:49 | posts: 8,696 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycronis View Post
Because from what I've seen the Surface Pro isn't confused at all. It can do both. Granted, the price is a bit high but that's normal considering it's a new product. Also, why would you need to buy a mouse? With touch screen and track pads on either of the keyboards I really don't see the reason for needing a mouse. Not to mention you can just use any mouse you may already have.
"Here's why Surface Pro is less portable than an Ultrabook"

http://www.zdnet.com/heres-why-surfa...ok-7000009890/

Old
  (#13)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: Seasonic 650W
Default 01-25-2013, 02:15 | posts: 8,500 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

I'm sorry, but i basically ignored whatever that guy said once he pointed out the footprint of the device. Unless you have an ultrabook with a touchscreen that is able to be rotated and folded down so that it acts as a tablet, your ultrabook is really only usable when sitting down or with a high table. Using a laptop while walking around makes you look like a moron. It can be a tablet... and it can be a laptop.... all depends on the situation. If i had a Surface/Surface Pro tablet, and was using it while in the living room with it on my lap, i certainly wouldn't think to myself "Why don't i use this like a laptop!". I would use it like a standard laptop. Also, what they apparently didn't notice, which is something that i found out watching a video review of the standard Surface tablet shortly after it came out, is that you can fold whichever keyboard attachment you get for it back so it goes under the Surface's stand, so it will stay standing if on your lap, without having to worry about the "center of gravity" wanting to drag it off your lap, and upon doing so, the input for the keyboard is automatically disabled, so you don't wind up typing with your knees.

Old
  (#14)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-25-2013, 09:44 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

The only negative point so far for my RT device is, I can't install chrome browser. That is sad for me

Old
  (#15)
ibitato
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
Processor: C2Q Q9450@3.6 1.384v
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula
Memory: 4x2GB@1080 5.5.5.15 5:6
Soundcard: Supreme FX II HD
PSU: Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock
Default 01-25-2013, 10:03 | posts: 4,825 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bigtime View Post
The only negative point so far for my RT device is, I can't install chrome browser. That is sad for me
http://www.chromestory.com/2012/11/g...rt-no-not-yet/

it looks that it wont happen, well see in the future
eventually they will release one
i just found the google+ app for windows RT
it's just a matter of thime, they compile Chrome for ARM/W8

Last edited by ibitato; 01-25-2013 at 10:07.

Old
  (#16)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-25-2013, 11:11 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibitato View Post
http://www.chromestory.com/2012/11/g...rt-no-not-yet/

it looks that it wont happen, well see in the future
eventually they will release one
i just found the google+ app for windows RT
it's just a matter of thime, they compile Chrome for ARM/W8
Interestingly IE works good. But I love to access my other devices browser tabs from chrome.

Old
  (#17)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 01-25-2013, 13:48 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1refly View Post
"Here's why Surface Pro is less portable than an Ultrabook"

http://www.zdnet.com/heres-why-surfa...ok-7000009890/
Here's why the writer of this article is a ****ing idiot.

YOU IGNORED THE ****ING TABLET MODE ON A TABLET/LAPTOP COMBO YOU IDIOT.

Anyone linking it is almost as dumb as the writer.

Hey guys, today I'm going to show you, while ignoring half it's features, why the H100 Corsair cooler has such a terrible design. Now, I'm going to ignore its use for water cooling processors, and instead I'm going to use it as a paperweight. Why? Because the H100 is not a good water cooler and if you wanted to watercool something you would have bought something custom anyway.

What I said, when compared directly, isn't even ridiculous, it's exactly what he said, just applied to a tablet.

Old
  (#18)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-25-2013, 15:46 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post

Hey guys, today I'm going to show you, while ignoring half it's features, why the H100 Corsair cooler has such a terrible design. Now, I'm going to ignore its use for water cooling processors, and instead I'm going to use it as a paperweight. Why? Because the H100 is not a good water cooler and if you wanted to watercool something you would have bought something custom anyway.

What I said, when compared directly, isn't even ridiculous, it's exactly what he said, just applied to a tablet.
Unbelievable! Ultra Facepalm.

Quote:
So at this point we have:

- Surface on a desk. Fine (but the screen is too small).

- Surface on a lap. If you're under 5'7", you will likely not be able to fit it on your lap. And if you are 5'7" or over, it really is a case of proactively balancing with a much higher risk of it falling to the ground than a laptop.

- Surface on a plane or train table. Your mileage may vary, but it's likely to be much less usable than an Ultrabook with a similarly-sized screen.
what about Surface as TABLET?

and other articles

http://www.zdnet.com/meet-the-team/u...xter-reynolds/

Quote:
The Chromebook -- it's like an iPad, but with a keyboard
Quote:
Has Apple redefined the tablet as an 8-inch device?
Quote:
Lenovo's IdeaPad Yoga 11 continues to prove that Windows RT is pointless
really?

Quote:
Like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, Surface is lacking heart
Quote:
If BB10 upgrades are a nightmare, why not jump to iPhone now?
and this person get paid for these .

facepalm*

Last edited by Mr.Bigtime; 01-25-2013 at 15:50.

Old
  (#19)
F1refly
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 01-26-2013, 02:27 | posts: 8,696 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post

insulting me does not make your opinion any more valid, it just makes you childish.

Old
  (#20)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 01-26-2013, 07:13 | posts: 18,218 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1refly View Post
insulting me does not make your opinion any more valid, it just makes you childish.
I also want to point out that i was facepalmingnthe lack of tablet mode pointing. Not you bro. I love u all. Lol.

Old
  (#21)
Sever
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Galaxy 3GB 660TI
Processor: i7 2600k - XSPC Raystorm
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme9
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: Silverstone Gold 1200w
Default 02-03-2013, 07:51 | posts: 4,826 | Location: Land of the Great Downunder

i considered the surface, but then i realised that its quite limited on an arm chip. it tries to squeeze itself between the arm and x86 market a bit too much, but it lacks the app market of android and x86 windows. (not sure if im explaining that properly but i guess you can understand what i mean?)

plus, it has the problem that i predicted it would, windows 8 is a space consumer and you end up with only 8gb or so free on the 32gb model, and 40gb ish on the 64gb model.

i think i'll wait for the surface pro since i'll more likely appreciate the x86 compatibility and just keep my note 2/nexus 7 for more portable stuff.

Old
  (#22)
naike
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 02-10-2013, 16:01 | posts: 2,013

In a few years all the mid and high range tablets will run windows 8, and android is going to be used for only the cheapest models of tablets.
Who would prefer android over the full version of windows 8 lol.

Quote:
You can get a decent 10" Android tablet for $350....that on purely tablet features/function, is just as capable as ANY Surface tablet. If you want a laptop....buy a laptop. If you want a tablet, buy a tablet. Why buy a confused device trying to do both?
Ahhahahaha

Last edited by naike; 02-10-2013 at 16:25.

Old
  (#23)
loneknives
Master Guru

Videocard: Galaxy gtx 670 GC
Processor: i7 2600k
Mainboard: intel bp67bg
Memory: corsair 8gb 1600
Soundcard: motherboard sound card
PSU: apevia 750w
Default 02-12-2013, 20:01 | posts: 225 | Location: rosemead, CA

The only reason it stand out for me and want it is because of the wacom technology 1024 pressure sensitivity. Perfect for drawing

Old
  (#24)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 02-13-2013, 01:05 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneknives View Post
The only reason it stand out for me and want it is because of the wacom technology 1024 pressure sensitivity. Perfect for drawing
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has a Wacom pen and digitizer too..

deltatux

Old
  (#25)
loneknives
Master Guru

Videocard: Galaxy gtx 670 GC
Processor: i7 2600k
Mainboard: intel bp67bg
Memory: corsair 8gb 1600
Soundcard: motherboard sound card
PSU: apevia 750w
Default 02-14-2013, 00:32 | posts: 225 | Location: rosemead, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has a Wacom pen and digitizer too..

deltatux
but the galaxy note run on android os, can't install windows 7 software like photoshop