Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 2000, XP or Vista giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Linux ?

Windows 8 #2
Old
  (#1)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.8GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2134 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default Windows 8 #2 - 01-31-2013, 12:43 | posts: 11,417 | Location: England

Last thread now too big:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357068

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
Hey guys!

Just installed windows 8 DP and gotta say pretty impressed!

Just thought i'd start a thread if anyone else has it also tho share your thoughts.

First impressions:

1. No option to change metro start button. Had to download Blue Poison and "hack" it to get my start menu back.

2. Log in requires a password associated to your email. (possibly another method but was rushing the install didn't actually check). Had to google how to remove password as User account wouldn't let me.

3. Games are very tempremental! half of them CTD with no warning. Others jsut refuse to open. Others look like AA isn't working at all so alot of work in that department. (thankgod for 2 comps)

Also apparently Beta is coming Feb
Start again here.

Old
  (#2)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 02-01-2013, 15:42 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Considering the price i paid for Windows 8 (25), it isn't bad at all. You could say the metro UI is purely aimed at the tablet market, maybe it is. But it gives you something else other than looking at boring desktop screen. you can add news, sport to keep up to date. Add a couple of free games. Then when you need to do something PC related, you switch back to desktop mode.

Old
  (#3)
anticupidon
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD5850 Extreme
Processor: i7 860 3.6 Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P7PP5D
Memory: 2x4 GB Kingston HyperX
Soundcard: Via on-board
PSU: Corsair HX 750
Default 02-01-2013, 16:56 | posts: 2,205 | Location: far,far from home

will install it on my main machine this weekend on a new SSD.
after testing it in a VBox i learned how to get around Metro and get things done
two things i have to solve..
1 migratin Steam folder
2 fix the Virtual Box ..it seems that after installing it in W 8 you get errors.like ..please enable VT...and you need to restore at a earlier time.

Old
  (#4)
UZ7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970 - XL2720T
Processor: i7 4770K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Memory: 8GB Samsung 30nm
Soundcard: SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 02-02-2013, 01:30 | posts: 5,269 | Location: Everyday Rain Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticupidon View Post
will install it on my main machine this weekend on a new SSD.
after testing it in a VBox i learned how to get around Metro and get things done
two things i have to solve..
1 migratin Steam folder
2 fix the Virtual Box ..it seems that after installing it in W 8 you get errors.like ..please enable VT...and you need to restore at a earlier time.
For steam I just moved the folder back to C:/Program Files/Steam etc.. where it was originally installed, downloaded steam from the website and installed it to the directory saving me hours of redownloading lol.

Old
  (#5)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX 680 @ 27" SA950
Processor: I7 4770K @ 3.5 GHZ
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 PRO
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Soundcard: ONBOARD & LOGITECH Z906
PSU: Coolermaster something
Default 02-02-2013, 14:41 | posts: 18,624 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Considering the price i paid for Windows 8 (25), it isn't bad at all. You could say the metro UI is purely aimed at the tablet market, maybe it is. But it gives you something else other than looking at boring desktop screen. you can add news, sport to keep up to date. Add a couple of free games. Then when you need to do something PC related, you switch back to desktop mode.
strongly agree.

W8 is Best OS so far.

Old
  (#6)
Keitosha
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 270X 2GB / R7 260X 1GB
Processor: FX-8350 / X6 1075T
Mainboard: 990FX Ext3 / 970Pro3 R2.0
Memory: 32GB / 16GB 1333
Soundcard: SB Z/SH HD477/TX-NR626
PSU: Corsair TX750M / TX750M
Default 02-02-2013, 18:33 | posts: 4,550 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bigtime View Post
strongly agree.

W8 is Best OS so far.
I agree with both Big and Ghostly here. It requires some adaption, but after a while it's quite easy to use. Using it on all my systems.

Old
  (#7)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: Seasonic 650W
Default 02-03-2013, 01:26 | posts: 8,746 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

It's not even really a matter of "after a while". Like i've been saying all this time... before Win8 was released, i usually installed the Consumer Preview's or the Developer Preview's and whatever they released... but that's about as far as it went... be it because i either didn't know how i felt with "Metro", or because i still had all my apps and stuff installed on a different partition with Windows 7. But once it was released, i kinda started thinking that i had a perfectly good copy of Windows Vista lying around not getting used, and said "what the hell" on the upgrade. Haven't looked back at Windows 7 since. Didn't even take a day to get used to "Metro". Actually.... can't even say that. Didn't even take a day to realize that whether you "Get used to it" or not, it's not something that i find myself using very frequently, if at all during a given day.

Old
  (#8)
anticupidon
Maha Guru

Default 02-03-2013, 10:14 | posts: 2,205 | Location: far,far from home

finished the install and tweaking W8
about to test some games
until now everything seems stable and fast
ps installed Clasic shell just in case...

Old
  (#9)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 02-03-2013, 11:07 | posts: 8,350 | Location: Urban`Jungle

About steam

You can move its whole folder to any disk/folder, just reinstall steam installer and pinpoint it to that moved folder, that's it.

I moved my steam from another disk or after i re-installed Windows and never had any issues like that.

Old
  (#10)
anticupidon
Maha Guru

Default 02-03-2013, 12:48 | posts: 2,205 | Location: far,far from home

thanks -Tj-,worked like a charm.
and all games,so far .
amazingly enough,Virtual Box runs and runs well.i need some time to fully test all scenarios,but for now ,seems ok.
i have to create a image for the disaster plan,and clone the instalation on a spare partition.
more,added DataRam disk to the mix,everything is fast.
now,i am pleased.

ps. Maybe i imagine things,but my speakers are sounding ..better.
Idk,but seems that something improves sound quality.

Last edited by anticupidon; 02-03-2013 at 20:40.

Old
  (#11)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX770 - G2773HS
Processor: Core i7 2600K 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3
Memory: Corsair DDR3 16GB 1600
Soundcard: Essence ST - Sennh. HD650
PSU: Antec Truepower 850W
Default 02-04-2013, 00:28 | posts: 5,510 | Location: Belgium

Interface rage and issues aside... it is better then Windows 7.

Old
  (#12)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 02-04-2013, 00:39 | posts: 16,789 | Location: US East Coast

I reinstalled Win7 last weekend.....will be back on Win8 in the next couple days....

Old
  (#13)
KissSh0t
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX AMD R9 270 DD 2GB
Processor: Phenom 955 @3.8GHz 1.380v
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: 8GB 1333 CL7 Ripjaws X
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-04-2013, 03:22 | posts: 2,336 | Location: 0.0.0.0

I have broken Windows 8 four times now since it's retail release.. hohohoho..

All my fault though..

OTL

Old
  (#14)
joe187
Master Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 7850-OC 2gb
Processor: Intel i7-2600k @ 4.4+HT
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Mushkin DDR3-1333 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard Audio
PSU: Antec NEO-ECO 400
Default 02-04-2013, 12:39 | posts: 286 | Location: in your nightmares

Ran it for about a week, really dug deep into it. The good: it's crazy fast! The bad: the interface is a ridiculous bi-polar beta-feeling mess.

All in all, i had to go back to 7. It's zippy enough on my rig and i don't feel like being brainwashed and pressured into nonsense dumbed-down "Apps"... i have a kindle fire for those and it does them just fine thanks. The whole thing just felt like an insult to itself.... as the OS underneath seems to be so slick... a shame.

Last edited by joe187; 02-04-2013 at 12:42.

Old
  (#15)
dsbig
Ancient Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 02-04-2013, 13:22 | posts: 2,773 | Location: florida

ja I broke it many times. and the interface is ugly, even tried hacked themes, but still not as good as windows 7 interface.

I understand they wanted to make everything the same for tablet and pc, but they shouldnt have changed the interface.

what happened to asking people what they thought.

I actually cant decide which system I want to use, I go back and forth between windows 7 and windows 8.

Last edited by dsbig; 02-04-2013 at 13:43.

Old
  (#16)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte x79-ud3
Memory: Corsair 1866mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Creative Titanium XFI-HD
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 02-04-2013, 14:17 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
ja I broke it many times. and the interface is ugly, even tried hacked themes, but still not as good as windows 7 interface.

I understand they wanted to make everything the same for tablet and pc, but they shouldnt have changed the interface.

what happened to asking people what they thought.

I actually cant decide which system I want to use, I go back and forth between windows 7 and windows 8.
Its really simple, if you cant make up your mind, stick with windows 7, it has far less compatibility issues and really 0 benefit from switching to windows 8, that includes the biased boot times and gaming performance.
I have bought win8 pro, havent used ever since i bought it as i already had experience with it and im by no means interested into a win phone 8 interface running on my x64 desktop with compatibility issues, i rather stick to a working proven OS, the good news for me as a programmer is that the adoption of windows 8 is so small that it wont matter if i skip it entirely, 2.26% is nothing compared to 44.48% of win7.
As for win8 beying the new win vista, thats a very good possibility as vista has a 5.24% userbase, which in other words means, it is more than twice as used as win8.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-04-2013 at 14:37.

Old
  (#17)
anticupidon
Maha Guru

Default 02-04-2013, 14:43 | posts: 2,205 | Location: far,far from home

i wouldn't waste my time naggging about Windows 8.
Any operating sistem has its own quirks,and people are very hard to please nowadays.
fixing computers,it is my ''duty'' to deal with Windows 8,sooner or later i will have to give solutions,so better to be prepared.
more to it,each time a OS is released,camps divide and argue about it,nothing really new.
progress,in its various forms,meets resistance.
at the end of the day,we shut down our machines and it doesn't really matter what OS was running.
productivity can be achieved in many ways,and for each task ahead,a suitable OS is found.
compare,try,learn and spread the tips.

Old
  (#18)
dsbig
Ancient Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 02-04-2013, 14:47 | posts: 2,773 | Location: florida

I did notice something else. it seems the refresh bug in windows explorer seems to be fix in windows 8. that files size change show without having to hit F5

I maybe late on this discovery

Last edited by dsbig; 02-04-2013 at 14:50.

Old
  (#19)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-04-2013, 14:54 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
I did notice something else. it seems the refresh bug in windows explorer seems to be fix in windows 8. that files size change show without having to hit F5

I maybe late on this discovery
How were you able to reproduce this bug? i changed a txt file and saved it without refreshing the windows explorer (win7x64) and it still updated its changed size.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-04-2013 at 18:37.

Old
  (#20)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 01:02 | posts: 8,746 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Legendary: Yet again you seem to only prove that you base your entire opinion on Windows 8 on the fact that you've never used it. "Oh... i don't want to use it, especially when the market share is so low". How many f*cking copies of Windows 8 are you expecting them to sell worldwide instantaneously? Windows 7 was still below a 10% market share 6 months after it's release. Yes, Windows 7 has 44% market share... but i'd sure as hell HOPE it would after 3.25 years of being on the market. Probably the main reason Windows Vista's market share is so low at this point is because if i remember correctly, they also had a quite cheap upgrade offer for Windows 7 when it first came out. As far as i'm aware, Windows 7's market share didn't pass Windows XP's until this past August.

I'm really just getting bored with reading what you post. No interest in a Windows Phone 8 interface? I'm sorry.... but this doesn't look like any phone to me...

You say it's a Windows Phone 8 interface.... anyone looking to gather their own opinion through USE of the OS, says it's Windows with a full-screen start menu. You only have to see it as often as you use your standard Start Menu... which, i seriously don't see you clicking that every minute or two.

Compatibility issues? I'm sorry... i must have been distracted by my desktop running 24/7 without a single hiccup. And.... now that i think about it.... i don't recall having an issue with my Auzentech Prelude audio output dropping out after a pop and hiss fit ever since i started using Windows 8. Even if i had a movie paused in PowerDVD or Windows Media Center, and was watching a different video clip on Youtube or something like that, which almost ALWAYS resulted in me having to switch audio modes in the Auzentech Control Panel in order to get sound back.

Last edited by ElementalDragon; 02-05-2013 at 01:14.

Old
  (#21)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 02:07 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
Apparently your vocabulary corresponds "instantaneously" to 3 months, time of which win8 was beying priced depending on the circumstances for just 15 in some circumastances or 30-40 normally. It is also fair to note that christmas and new year have been celebrated at that timespan and yet people yawned at win8, which i find it strange that the general population could see past that junk cartoonish eyecandy and think objectively about it as a product.
Lets see how many windows 8 copies microsoft will sell now that the product is back to its full price!

You have a very nice screenshot there, you forgot that your screenshot doesnt include the windows icon so everyone can notice how similar win8 is in that regard, even though youve attempted it you should have placed that window y2 boundaries a little higher because your windows phone 8 OS awsomeness is chomping on your taskbar, yep, im pretty sure anyone which will see his app on windowed fullscreen obbliterating the taskbar or any normal window doing the same will surely say this is the exact experience of all previous windows versions! And definetly the fullscreen startscreen corresponds absolutely 100% to windows 7 startmenu, in every single aspect, for starters i always remembered those good old days where you would scroll with your wheel vertically to go sideways, alt clicking an icon from startmenu just so i would have to move my mouse pointer all the way down to that sluggish oversized alt menu, those good old days where you would have every single folder expanded on all programs occupying your entire screen with oversized icons, that animated start menu enter, start menu exit, startmenu scrolling which all 3 of these animations add so much to productivity, oh and that good old search where you had to type what you wanted to search and then select the category of what you wanted to search!
How could i forget such "features" from previous windows, i mustve been blind all this time! Oh wait, i "accidentally" mixed all other previous windows versions with windows 8, you see they are so similar, only now i noticed i was talking about windows 8!

Sarcasm aside, your post stinks of desperation as much as microsoft stank when blaming oems for not buying into their Tiles8 propaganda.

Also you say you are bored of reading my replies, yet you read them and reply to them even when im clearly not talking to you at all, its very confusing for a person to be tired of reading someones posts but still read them and reply to them as if they were directed to that specific person when they clearly werent.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-05-2013 at 03:13.

Old
  (#22)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 03:35 | posts: 8,746 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

I'm sorry, but after the first line, your rant confused the f*ck out of me. For one, i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people who end up using a new version of Windows end up doing so when they purchase a new computer more than saying "Hey, why don't i buy this copy of Windows and install it myself?"

And i'm not 100% sure... but i'm thinking you're trying to say that I couldn't put that instance of Chrome anywhere i damn well please to, and that there is somewhere i could put it on Windows 7 that i somehow can't on Windows 8? Hell... you tell me what you want to see me do with a window, or multiple windows.... hell, i'll even take requests for something you want to see me do with windows/apps on both my 27" monitor as well as my 46" TV that i have connected as the secondary screen sitting to my left. You seem to be under the impression that if i expanded the window to full screen, that i'd somehow lose my taskbar and my ability to easily switch between the other windows i have open by simply clicking on the icon on the taskbar as you usually did in previous versions of Windows.... which, if that's the miserable excuse of a point you're trying to get across, then I can honestly say, with my hand on my heart.... USE THE OS before you try to pick it to pieces.

The ONLY VISUAL change in the OS is the start screen instead of the classic start menu. If you rarely ever used the start menu because you were like most normal people and had shortcuts on your desktop to your most frequently used programs, you are probably also the type of person who honestly wouldn't even notice that there is anything that's changed about the OS.

Last edited by ElementalDragon; 02-05-2013 at 03:38.

Old
  (#23)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 03:47 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
I'm sorry, but after the first line, your rant confused the f*ck out of me. For one, i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people who end up using a new version of Windows end up doing so when they purchase a new computer more than saying "Hey, why don't i buy this copy of Windows and install it myself?"

And i'm not 100% sure... but i'm thinking you're trying to say that I couldn't put that instance of Chrome anywhere i damn well please to, and that there is somewhere i could put it on Windows 7 that i somehow can't on Windows 8? Hell... you tell me what you want to see me do with a window, or multiple windows.... hell, i'll even take requests for something you want to see me do with windows/apps on both my 27" monitor as well as my 46" TV that i have connected as the secondary screen sitting to my left. You seem to be under the impression that if i expanded the window to full screen, that i'd somehow lose my taskbar and my ability to easily switch between the other windows i have open by simply clicking on the icon on the taskbar as you usually did in previous versions of Windows.... which, if that's the miserable excuse of a point you're trying to get across, then I can honestly say, with my hand on my heart.... USE THE OS before you try to pick it to pieces.

The ONLY VISUAL change in the OS is the start screen instead of the classic start menu. If you rarely ever used the start menu because you were like most normal people and had shortcuts on your desktop to your most frequently used programs, you are probably also the type of person who honestly wouldn't even notice that there is anything that's changed about the OS.
Yeah were all with you random angered forum poster!
Keep believing that is the only change and maybe if you believe hard enough in the lolipop land and pink unicorns it will come true, maybe.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-05-2013 at 03:52.

Old
  (#24)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 03:54 | posts: 8,746 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

I'm not angry. I'm just wondering how someone can make sarcastic claims about an OS that they "Haven't used ever since i bought it"..... and honestly doesn't seem to have EVER used it with what you're trying to say.

Old
  (#25)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-05-2013, 04:18 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
I'm not angry. I'm just wondering how someone can make sarcastic claims about an OS that they "Haven't used ever since i bought it"..... and honestly doesn't seem to have EVER used it with what you're trying to say.
What "im trying to say" by that you mean your definition of what im trying to say?

This new might shock you, but i do not have to like windows 8 to objectively point at its flawed interface, unlike you, i do not fall in love with a product and love it for the rest of my life because i own it, fanboys do, i dont, i know its hard for you to believe in this but this is how life works.

I have tried it i have pointed how absurd it is, you didnt like it that i have pointed those ui flaws and started swearing and reply with agressive messages because of that. It is certainly not my problem that you dont like people pointing flaws at a product that you own, its yours and you should process that yourself, alone.

Come back later and reply with a constructive message instead of random swearing, even though i was sarcastic, i pointed out why windows 8 "desktop" interface is definetly not equal or close to beying equal to previous windows versions.

I dont have to use win8 for 10 years to realise that, even though i have used it for a couple of times, anyone can realise that windows 8 interface is nothing like windows 7 or previous windows just by looking at your screenshot.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-05-2013 at 04:23.