Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

Old
  (#826)
ClockClocker
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 7950 Powercolor
Processor: Core i5 2500k
Mainboard: Asrock z68 Pro3
Memory: 8GB DDR 1333 Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: Straight Power E9 580W
Default 01-18-2013, 20:44 | posts: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF Prophet View Post
owning both nvidia and amd, I find it funny the people who think nvidia has no driver or hardware issues.......at least none of my amd cards have had VRM's that blew due to factory overclocks pushing the card to far.....or worse at least i have never had an amd/ati driver that caused my card to melt down because it turned off the fan(lost a gtx280 to that....)

not so true, i also own cards from both. But AMD has more issues related to screen corruptions. Especially if you play Non-Mainstreamgames there are more problems with AMD.

Old
  (#827)
PF Prophet
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x7870 2gb Dual-X(short)
Processor: AMD FX-8350@4.6ghz
Mainboard: Crosshair V-Z
Memory: 4x8gb Gskill Ares 1866
Soundcard: CHV-Z + z5500
PSU: PCP&C turbo cool 1200w
Default 01-19-2013, 18:37 | posts: 157 | Location: Washington

most of the games I play are far from mainstream.

korean style mmo's, indie shooters(and other indie games), very little of what i play on a regular basis is "main stream"

on the other hand, I know some people do have bugs, AND I also know some people will overlook bugs in nvidia cards because they will just blame other factors.

Nvidia to this day has a problem that comes and goes with yv12 color spacing in videos, driver to driver this bugs come and gone since the 7000 series days, it bothers me, I loved my 8800gts 512mb, but this is one thing that drove me nuts, and they still havent consistantly kept it fixed, so much so that many decoders see nvidia and just silently disable yv12 color space to avoid the possible issues......

amd and nvidia both have their driver issues, for some one issue will be far more annoying then another, for me the video decoding issues got REALLY old, as I tend to watch videos as I game or as I do other things. (yes i can run a video on 1 screen and game on the other without problems....)

the only game lately i have seen issues in is bc2 and, again that happens on both amd and nvidia and has since the game came out, dosnt happen to everybody but, its got known bugs that EA didnt want Dice to bother patching, because they wanted bf3 to come out so they could make more money....(just like bf3 will endup getting abandoned once they start work on bf4)

I dont hate nvidia, I dont like how they act at times, but thats also true for amd's radeon team.....but in my exp, at least I have less issues that drive me batty with amd then nvidia in the last few years.

and again, at least AMD/ATI never put out a driver that ended up costing me a videocard worth 300+bucks.....yes i was a pit pissed off......i mean, driver fully disabling the fan......how the hell does that get past basic QC?

Old
  (#828)
NiColaoS
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX770 WindForce
Processor: i5 3570K
Mainboard: P8Z77-V Plus
Memory: 2x4GB CL8 1,6Ghz BaliStiX
Soundcard: X-Fi FatalPro & Z5500 5.1
PSU: TPX-575M TOUGHPOWER XT
Default 01-19-2013, 18:53 | posts: 386 | Location: Macedonia, Greece

After the "fix" for the "cloud corruption" ( as AMD called it ), I noticed the flickering became a little more familiar.

I mean, we were seeing white flashing and now it's the more familiar black lines/flickering/flashing. Did you notice this?

13.2 is the last last hope. I mean, it becomes apparent they're trying to "tweak" the issue, as if there's no solid fix.

Old
  (#829)
deathfrag
Master Guru

Videocard: leadtek gtx780@1215/6400
Processor: I5 3570 @4.2 H100i
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
Memory: 8 GB vengeance 1600
Soundcard: ONBOARD
PSU: 800 Watt Aerocool
Default 01-19-2013, 18:54 | posts: 270 | Location: ALGERIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockClocker View Post
not so true, i also own cards from both. But AMD has more issues related to screen corruptions. Especially if you play Non-Mainstreamgames there are more problems with AMD.
if what you say is true , and you know all that probleme on ati card .... why you have buy ati card then ?

Old
  (#830)
NiColaoS
Master Guru

Default 01-19-2013, 18:57 | posts: 386 | Location: Macedonia, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathfrag View Post
if what you say is true , and you know all that probleme on ati card .... why you have buy ati card then ?
C'mon pal... You can do better than that. This problem exist only on 7000 series cards. None knew before... And it's been confirmed and widely known relatively late. And even so, none could know that months afterwards, the problem would be here.

Now, would you go out to purchase an other 7000 series card? Would you recommend it to a friend? If you ask me, the answer is: I don't think so... And if 13.2 won't introduce a solid fix, I don't see this card staying on my PC.

These are somewhat better questions you could ask him.

Last edited by NiColaoS; 01-19-2013 at 19:06.

Old
  (#831)
ClockClocker
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 01-19-2013, 19:09 | posts: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathfrag View Post
Because i buy performance and how could i know that before? Im not a fanboy and im gooing to buy AMD another time if it beats NV again. But hands down, at this point the drivers suck at least for the game i play.

Btw ATI doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited by ClockClocker; 01-19-2013 at 19:12.

Old
  (#832)
Epic0098

Videocard: MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67LE
Memory: DDR3 1600Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: HT Omega Striker 7.1
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
Default 01-20-2013, 03:38 | posts: 9 | Location: Ontario, Canada

Just want to confirm that I still have flashing and artifacts in Skyrim using 13.1 and 13.2 unofficial beta. I think we'll just have to wait for the memory re-write...

Old
  (#833)
Sepultor

Videocard: Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
Processor: i5 2500 K 4,5 ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair GS 700
Default 01-20-2013, 04:38 | posts: 3

i Have artifacts and flickering in farcry 3.

Old
  (#834)
PF Prophet
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x7870 2gb Dual-X(short)
Processor: AMD FX-8350@4.6ghz
Mainboard: Crosshair V-Z
Memory: 4x8gb Gskill Ares 1866
Soundcard: CHV-Z + z5500
PSU: PCP&C turbo cool 1200w
Default 01-20-2013, 05:43 | posts: 157 | Location: Washington

no artefacts and flicker for me in fc3, from what i read you need to vsync or dynamic vsync to get rid of/minimize skyrim issues, skyrim is far from a flawless game, its full of bugs, typical of Bethesda, they have yet to release a game thats not been buggy as hell when it came out, and that didnt need alot of patching from both Bethesda and driver makers to work around problems.

not saying its not and AMD problem this time but, Bethesda is known far and wide for their bugs and lack of proper pre-release testing.

Old
  (#835)
faptastic

Videocard: PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
Processor: i5 760@4GHz
Mainboard: GA-P55A-UD3
Memory: 2 x 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800C9
Soundcard: SB Audigy SE
PSU: XFX 750 Pro Core Edition
Default 01-20-2013, 18:42 | posts: 10

Random artifacts in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Old
  (#836)
acereborn
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 7970 OC
Processor: 3770K
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Memory: Corsair 16 GB 1600 MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX 850
Default 01-20-2013, 20:51 | posts: 63

I have now seen some flicker in Skyrim, and other flicker games, with 13.1

Old
  (#837)
BababooeyHTJ
Member Guru

Videocard: 7950 crossfire
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
Memory:
Soundcard: Xonar STX
PSU: Corsari AX850
Default 01-21-2013, 02:19 | posts: 138

How the hell is this not fixed yet?

People have been up in arms about some frame latency issue that I've seen in one game but this somehow seems to get no attention. This is an issue that I've seen far more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acereborn View Post
I have now seen some flicker in Skyrim, and other flicker games, with 13.1
I know that I see some flickering in Fallout New Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockClocker View Post
But AMD has more issues related to screen corruptions. Especially if you play Non-Mainstreamgames there are more problems with AMD.
Thats true, if you have a problem with non-mainstream game don't expect amd to ever fix it.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 01-21-2013 at 02:22.

Old
  (#838)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R7850 PE 2GD5/OC
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Memory: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: hec HP585D 585W ATX12V
Default 01-21-2013, 02:36 | posts: 1,309 | Location: Charleroi, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post

People have been up in arms about some frame latency issue that I've seen in one game but this somehow seems to get no attention. This is an issue that I've seen far more often.
Frame latency can affect many games, for over long periods of time. This texture thing is just a flash of corruption that happens for a split second (if I'm understanding it right anyway), to which some people have even claimed not to notice unless they are looking for it specifically.

I really don't know too much about this though, but maybe the memory management rewrite AMD has spoken of should fix this?

Old
  (#839)
ClockClocker
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 01-21-2013, 19:04 | posts: 331

Quote:
To be honest i doubt that it will ever get fixed. I start to believe that AMD is "done" with that issue since they provided their pseuodufix in 12.11. They always claim we're just a minority but how comes i saw it happen on 4 different cards on 2 Systems? Maybe their Devs are just blind or only see ever 20th frame?
Then there are people who claim that they don't have it and if you ask some more they hardly play any DX9 games. It's a fight against Windmills.

I never expected AMD to be so resistent against reactions. I mean just check some forums in nearly every forum you'll read posts and threads from people with simelar issues(i could link you at least 3 threads in german forums right now without beeing there to often). Some just don't know that this is called the DX9 issue and think it's a buggy game. Im really pissed about this kind of managmentpolitics. They provide fixes for all kind of trash and always claim that that doesn't mean they lose focus on other problems. I doubt that.

I always was smth like an AMD Fanboy (although i mostly buy performance) but after this expierience im done with them. I just hope they will go bankrupt for this kind of ****. But i think it won't take to long till they are bankrupt anyway. And im gooing to help by telling everybody my expierience .

Old
  (#840)
BababooeyHTJ
Member Guru

Videocard: 7950 crossfire
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
Memory:
Soundcard: Xonar STX
PSU: Corsari AX850
Default 01-21-2013, 21:45 | posts: 138

Its like the desktop flicker issue. I sent in a card for an RMA over it. I also have three other cards now. Every one of them has that issue. Thats in two different systems. I highly doubt that these two issues are as uncommon as AMD will lead us to believe.

I'm not as mad about it since I had a really bad experience with Kepler drivers. I may see some flickering in Fallout New Vegas now but it was unplayable with my 670s. There were a few other games like that.

That said if this stuff isn't fixed by the time that GK110 is released I'll be sure to jump ship. I had a great experience with fermi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
Frame latency can affect many games, for over long periods of time. This texture thing is just a flash of corruption that happens for a split second (if I'm understanding it right anyway), to which some people have even claimed not to notice unless they are looking for it specifically.

There is a work around for the frame latency issues. If you set a framerate cap which I like to do anyways its a non-issue.

Seeing flashing black or white artifacts on screen every once in while is really immersion breaking.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 01-21-2013 at 21:48.

Old
  (#841)
millibyte
Master Guru

Videocard: 7970 cfx
Processor: i5 2500K @4.5 ghz
Mainboard: Asus PZ68-V Gen3
Memory: 8 GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default 01-21-2013, 22:06 | posts: 481 | Location: Novyy Yeropol

Quote:
There is a work around for the frame latency issues. If you set a framerate cap which I like to do anyways its a non-issue.

Seeing flashing black or white artifacts on screen every once in while is really immersion breaking.
I completely agree with you. I cap all my games at 60 fps, so the latency issue hasn't been noticeable to me but knowing that I can't play some of my favorite games without these serious artifacts that resemble a bad overclock or faulty hardware is beyond frustrating.

Sapphire 7850 OC 1GB GDR5 Problems?
Old
  (#842)
orbeavhawk

Videocard: HD7660D + HD7850
Processor: A10 5800K
Mainboard: ASROCK FM2A85X Extreme6
Memory: G.Skill 16GB 1866 DDR3
Soundcard: Logitech 5.1 Speaker Syst
PSU: Rosewill Stallion 500W
Angry Sapphire 7850 OC 1GB GDR5 Problems? - 01-22-2013, 00:47 | posts: 3 | Location: Beaverton, OR

Recently joined the Circle of PAIN [Trouble] when I splurged and bought this card to mainly play World of Tanks........I have had NO problems to speak of with any other games but my game of choice is unplayable.....I get a "GHOST" tank form right in the middle of my screen, right where your aiming reticle is located. It starts smallish and then gets bigger. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of this but have given up.
When installed I was using the 12.10 drivers and sure hoped that the new 13.1 drivers would have solved this and made me a happy gamedr,,,,,but NO, I still have this TERRIBLE problem......have written ATI\AMD Driver Dept. and reported it and wrote Sapphire......I guess from their response, there mujst not be a "fix", because they said to send a copy of saled receipt to their RMA Dept.
Don't see here where anyone else is reporting similar problems with WoT????

Old
  (#843)
Sepultor

Videocard: Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
Processor: i5 2500 K 4,5 ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair GS 700
Default 01-22-2013, 01:41 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by millibyte View Post
I completely agree with you. I cap all my games at 60 fps, so the latency issue hasn't been noticeable to me but knowing that I can't play some of my favorite games without these serious artifacts that resemble a bad overclock or faulty hardware is beyond frustrating.
Same for me.

I have artifacts in skyrim ( very little but i see the artifacts)., Farcry 3 same, chivalry.

in batman arkham city, DayZ, War Z, Natural selection 2, Sleeping Dogs, i dont see that.

Sorry for my english.

Old
  (#844)
D3lta
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7970 DCU2
Processor: Core i7 920@4Ghz
Mainboard: EVGA SLI 3-way
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-22-2013, 03:07 | posts: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
I don't think drivers have anything to do with it.
I agree.

I don't have artifacts with my 7970 DCU2 TOP.

Old
  (#845)
millibyte
Master Guru

Videocard: 7970 cfx
Processor: i5 2500K @4.5 ghz
Mainboard: Asus PZ68-V Gen3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default 01-22-2013, 03:18 | posts: 481 | Location: Novyy Yeropol

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lta View Post
I agree.

I don't have artifacts with my 7970 DCU2 TOP.
You enter this thread, quoting someone from September and offering no details about the specific games you play...very helpful.

Old
  (#846)
crz
Member Guru

Videocard: 2 x R9 290 Gigabyte WF3
Processor: Intel i7 4770
Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6
Memory: 2 x 8 GB DDR3 1600 GEIL
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
Default 01-22-2013, 11:48 | posts: 71 | Location: Bucharest

Hi, I'm a long time lurker but I decided to create an account after starting to experience this corruption recently.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 and I have a reference 7970 from Sapphire, bought on 7970 launch day.

After I bought it I used Windows 7 x64 and did not notice any corruption. When I switched to Windows 8 I played a lot of BF3 and Saints Row the Third (both DX 11) and also haven't noticed any corruption.

More recently after installing 12.11 beta 11 I started playing DotA 2 and Tropico 4 and I noticed the very same corruption as shown in the linked videos: black triangles/lines poping-up for one or two frames. After cleaning up 12.11 beta 11 and installing 13.1 and later 13.2 leaked beta the corruption not only persisted but also appeared in BF3 (w/ 13.2) and on the desktop (both 13.1 and 13.2). The corruption in BF3 and on the desktop is much less pronounced than that in DotA 2 and Tropico 4 but it is there.

I can not pinpoint the exact moment it showed up, I started noticing it after buying Tropico 4 on the Steam sale and around the same time in DotA 2.

I'm gonna try to revert to some older drivers, but meanwhile I can confirm the corruption is definitely there, even with a reference 7970 running at stock frequencies and voltage.

Old
  (#847)
Offler2
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
Processor: Intel xeon X3360
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Extreme 1
Memory: Adata XPG2 4x2gb
Soundcard: Creative Xfi
PSU: Corsair HX-650w
Default 01-22-2013, 13:15 | posts: 185

Catalyst 13.2 beta is only unofficial test version which was leaked and not intended to be released. Uninstall it and restore 13.1.

Ok Some results on 13.1 testing:

Skyrim on standard Multisampling AA.
Random gaming = no flickering observed.
Flickerspot = Game flickers one and then its ok.
Skin flickerring = still present

Skyrim on Supersampling AA:
Random gaming = minor flickering
New flickerspot on different place (one of the towers near Whiterun)
Skin flickering = still present

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition:
Random gaming = not visible
Flickerspot = Again one flicker and not anymore

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition with Ubersampling:
flickering on all spots slightly increased.

Starcraft II:
With this catalyst I can finally confirm presence of flickering even in this game.

Generally the flickering became more predictable and currently shows some minor connection with sampling mode.

Old
  (#848)
NiColaoS
Master Guru

Default 01-22-2013, 13:57 | posts: 386 | Location: Macedonia, Greece

Quote:

Unfortunately... I even try on TechReport, on those articles about the memory latency issues, but they completely ignore all of my comments. Not a single mentioning... Meanwhile, they're testing excessively Skyrim -one game that the issue is clearly present.

Maybe because it's more serious than it seems... I really don't know what to say. Catalyst 13.2... Our last hope. If the problem remain ( the most likely ), I really hope Guru3d will write an analytical article, at least.

Last edited by NiColaoS; 01-22-2013 at 14:01.

Old
  (#849)
Gizmo
Member Guru

Videocard: 7970 PC v3
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z77 Extreme4
Memory: DDR3 2x4GB
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi / CA
PSU: 800watt
Default 01-22-2013, 14:00 | posts: 119 | Location: Terra Nova

Just finished a rebuild of my system (new m/b cpu/ PSU) totally fresh install win7 x64 with cat 13.1 (+ latest CAP) on my 7970 (stock clocks) still have the same issues that were showing before the rebuild

First title i fire up and test (portal 2) i get the checker boarding

Skyrim - Shows White flickering polys and z-fighting on alpha blended rocks/moss/dirt

Transformers FOC -No flashing/glitches or checker boarding at all

2D Desktop still has an odd glitch when using Aero or firefox with H/W accel

Ive only owned the 7970 for about 2 weeks (since ATI/AMD card since 4870) and i have to say im impressed with the hardware (fast/cool) but totally disgusted with the state of the drivers.

I held off buying for the first a year waiting for AMD to get the kinks worked out but it seems they still haven't gotten there act together...looks like the 7970 will be going the same way as my 4870....that is returned to be replaced with nVidia

Maybe we should start a AMD driver issues/error screenshot/video thread to help highlight the issue for them as they seem totally blind to it ATM

Old
  (#850)
Offler2
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
Processor: Intel xeon X3360
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Extreme 1
Memory: Adata XPG2 4x2gb
Soundcard: Creative Xfi
PSU: Corsair HX-650w
Default 01-22-2013, 14:52 | posts: 185

For now I would rather wait for official 13.2Beta. I am really curious about new memory management.

And screenshots from Portal surely shows issue which seems to be related to graphical memory.