Windows 8 adoption rate falls way behind Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    There may be many factors:
    1. Bad Win8 reviews, be it honest or not.
    2. Decline in desktops/laptop sells during Win8 lunch
    3. Biased stats (2.5x greater iPhone market share compared to Android)

My vote? All of above, especially 3 and 2.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bad design

/Win8

4. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    And I think Win8 have a great score at 1.6% market share, because many of us when needed to buy a new laptop doesn't have the option to choose between this crap and Win7, cause they come pre-installed with Windows 8 (not pro) and this version don´t have downgrade option.

5. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Design is the main factor and reason why i'm skipping it. Btw i didn't skip vista, i used it since it was released.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Same here, I was on Vista myself until 7 hit RTM.

7. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I didn't skip Win Vista, but was on Win7 since the second beta available. Vista wasn't bad but neither was great. And I can't figured out, WTF are they thinking to adopt this crap for WinServer market.

8. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    After using Windows 8 for about a month, I went back to Windows 7 because a few devices don't have Windows 8 drivers and I don't like the new user interface.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Is anyone surprised by this???

My 1000th post, i´m so happy!:roll:

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Actually the new changes make Server 2012 easier to manage. At least for people who have any ability to learn.

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I was not keen on windows8 when I first upgraded but after using since release it grew on me. I used win7 again and will stick with windows8 took a while to get used to it but now I prefer it. though it could be improved start button should have be an option then it would have stood a better chance with people who struggle to make changes or don't like change..
    I am amazed at how many people have nothing good to say about windows 8 when in many ways(not all) it does things better than win7.

expect to be flamed but no words will change what I think I use it and like it. I respect that some have tried and don't and I don't feel the need to flame them.

12. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    With the first chance, I'm going back to Win7, too. Nothing better than a clean installation of the gool ol' Win7. I did the mistake and I installed early a lot of my games... Now, I'll finish some in order to not have to install all of them again on 7.

Also, I ordered a Samsung 840 Pro and along with the next, new whql drivers by AMD, it will be the perfect time to go back on Win7.

Currently I run Win8 with "Start8" and "Bypass ModernUI". So, it's like I use Win7 within Win8. Instead of all this hassle, I better go back.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  13. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    If the OS is nothing revolutionary then the adoption rate will become even lower and another important thing is that in the past we had a OS for 3-4 years now the come to fast to the market and the world still has big economy problems so all together are showing.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    also using 840pro its awesome loads win8 in what feels like a flash shame windows7 boots slower but still quick. the high speed boot of windows8 is 1 of the big things I like I hate waiting

15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    best christmas news. :D

16. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    For me, the worst thing in Windows 8 is the direction of "modern" UI, I like multitasking, most Windows users are comfortable with multitasking, the new UI and the way the apps completely max out the screen turns multitasking worst to deal. If microsoft want to copy apple, they should developed a new OS for tablets not fitting there the Windows OS.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Do those figures include the whole potential market? I.e phones, touch devices, etc and not just desktops cause surely the market potential for 8 should be much much larger than it ever was for Vista? Just how many portable devices are their now compared to when Vista launched? How bad is it if even with that much increased market potential 8 is still not selling as well as Vista?

18. fuma86

fuma86 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti
    For me worst thing in windows 8 is : blue screen almost every boot casued by : windows_8_driver + random installed application that is WINDOWS 8 ready!!
    had over 10 bsods daily on random time that were caused by win 8 drivers and for rampage III there are no updates for win 8 drivers so gg .
    New UI was preety nice you could easy arrange it and most used apps could be in front .

19. DigitalKilla_FL

DigitalKilla_FL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    They need to develop games for the PC like HALO (maybe charge more) but Microsoft has been ignoring gamers in my opinion. The XBOX is good, I have purchsed both the original XBOX and 360 and ended up returning them within a week. Both times I took the refund money and purchased a better graphics card for my PC.....lol

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The problem is that Microsoft believes that tablets are just smaller form factor PCs or "PCs evolved". They don't see them as a completely separate class of products. Personally, tablets are in a completely separate category because they share almost nothing in common when compared to the traditional IBM PC-like architecture that has existed for the past 40 years.

Windows 8 isn't horrible, but at the same time, Microsoft should have separated the tablet version from the regular desktop/laptop version.

deltatux