Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Processors and motherboards Intel
Processors and motherboards Intel Is that Core 2 or i7 giving you a hard time? Enter this forum, this is all about Intel baby.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#51)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 12-28-2012, 06:00 | posts: 13,339 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanw4 View Post
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=493

It looks like the heat problem on stock isn't due to the choice of TIM from intel but the gap between the die and the IHS.
Interesting.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#52)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 12-28-2012, 09:30 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanw4 View Post
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=493

It looks like the heat problem on stock isn't due to the choice of TIM from intel but the gap between the die and the IHS.
6 days ago, page 2 of this thread, after reading hallryu's link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
Yes, so it's not so much the particular TIM used by intel that causes problems but more the amount used makes a space too large between chip & IHS.
Before i go removing anything i'm gonna see the results from changing just the cpu cooler i'm currently using to something more beefy.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#53)
macdaddy
Maha Guru
 
macdaddy's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 / MSI G 290X
Processor: 4770K <-- Lemon
Mainboard: ASUS MAX 6 IMPACT
Memory: Dom. Plat 8GB 2400
Soundcard: AUDIOENGINE D1 HD650
PSU: 700W Enermax
Default 01-05-2013, 15:30 | posts: 2,348 | Location: AUSTRALIA

I have removed the IHS on my cpu. I can tell you that there was certainly a gap. Also that when i was slicing it open I noticed that one the top side of the cpu was easy to slip the razor in and the other was tight. Seems like when Intel glued the IHS unevenly on mine. As soon as i remounted with new TIM idle temps were all even on the 4 cores with a gain of maybe 2c-3c lower. Load wise with OC of 4.9ghz i just manage to keep around 95c with LinX. Prime 95 low 80c. Maybe shaved 6c-7c from load before IHS removal. Only weird thing is the difference of lowest core to highest and the other 2 cores are in between, for me its close to 20c apart. One core won't move above 66c while im hitting 95c on the other. Maybe have to reset waterblock.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#54)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-05-2013, 16:12 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Best results will be seen after an uber cooler has been installed, now with the tim change the cooler will be able to do it's job more effectively, i'm maybe in the market for one next week, noctua n-14 or corsair h80i, and a new tube of ic diamond. Sucks to have to remove mobo to get cooler backplate on but what the hell, if it'll let me get towards 4.8ghz stable then it's worth it.
*currently with zalman performa x10 with x2 noctua f-12 fans.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#55)
macdaddy
Maha Guru
 
macdaddy's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 / MSI G 290X
Processor: 4770K <-- Lemon
Mainboard: ASUS MAX 6 IMPACT
Memory: Dom. Plat 8GB 2400
Soundcard: AUDIOENGINE D1 HD650
PSU: 700W Enermax
Default 01-05-2013, 17:05 | posts: 2,348 | Location: AUSTRALIA

Just spent last hour playing with the cpu. I think the sweet spot with my cpu is 4.5ghz @ 1.18 vcore. I have also undervoltted all the voltage settings for my mobo. Temps are very very good. Ran IBT a few times and it seems fine for now I'll test some more. If interested i keep you guys posted.

Last edited by macdaddy; 01-05-2013 at 17:11.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#56)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-10-2013, 08:21 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

I just tried installing cpu cooler directly on top of chip, system started up for a few secs then shut down.
It was a half-hearted attempt though i did manage to get cpu cooler tight down on the chip.
Anyways one thing i did notice this time and that was the thickness of the IHS, it's a horrible chunky piece of metal if ever there was one, why the hell is it so thick?
I had no spare TIM for this job but my temps seem fine with the tiny amount i managed to scrape together for the cpu cooler and cpu chip, it'll be that damn IHS that needs taken care of next.
I'm tempted to get another cooler but i'll give this application time and see how far temps rise.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#57)
macdaddy
Maha Guru
 
macdaddy's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 / MSI G 290X
Processor: 4770K <-- Lemon
Mainboard: ASUS MAX 6 IMPACT
Memory: Dom. Plat 8GB 2400
Soundcard: AUDIOENGINE D1 HD650
PSU: 700W Enermax
Default 01-11-2013, 07:28 | posts: 2,348 | Location: AUSTRALIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
I just tried installing cpu cooler directly on top of chip, system started up for a few secs then shut down.
It was a half-hearted attempt though i did manage to get cpu cooler tight down on the chip.
Anyways one thing i did notice this time and that was the thickness of the IHS, it's a horrible chunky piece of metal if ever there was one, why the hell is it so thick?
I had no spare TIM for this job but my temps seem fine with the tiny amount i managed to scrape together for the cpu cooler and cpu chip, it'll be that damn IHS that needs taken care of next.
I'm tempted to get another cooler but i'll give this application time and see how far temps rise.
Always could try to sand down the IHS. Might be tempted to do it myself.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#58)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-12-2013, 06:58 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

To recap what i've done with cpu and results:

1
Ok i removed ihs (it was a rushed job .. or better said a job i was unprepared for) and applied the tiny amount of ic diamond i had left to the cooler and some old antec formula5 to the cpu die.

RESULTS :
the idle temps dropped but load temps remained in the 70s

2
i removed ihs again, i had no spare thermal paste this time, i tried a direct-die mount* of the cpu cooler but it wasn't uber tight like it has to be so it booted for only a few secs.
Now my cpu cooler is mounted without thermal paste pretty much, the cpu die + IHS has a tiny amount of second hand ic diamond /antec formula5

*a cpu with cooler mounted to the die but not attached properly especially a highly OCed one will die very fast in this state, make sure there's tension always when powering up.

RESULTS :
Currently my idle temps are not too shabby in general the cores are at say ...35C idling, however i'm in the eighties pretty quick these days i'll say that much.

Last words till next post:
Today i hope to get some paste and try do the job well, i'll forget about the direct die mounting but it's very easy just make extra space with tape inbetween back of mobu + cpu cooler mount that attaches to rear so the screws can be tightened down tighter.

Last edited by SLI-756; 01-12-2013 at 07:04.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#59)
macdaddy
Maha Guru
 
macdaddy's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 / MSI G 290X
Processor: 4770K <-- Lemon
Mainboard: ASUS MAX 6 IMPACT
Memory: Dom. Plat 8GB 2400
Soundcard: AUDIOENGINE D1 HD650
PSU: 700W Enermax
Default 01-12-2013, 08:06 | posts: 2,348 | Location: AUSTRALIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
To recap what i've done with cpu and results:

1
Ok i removed ihs (it was a rushed job .. or better said a job i was unprepared for) and applied the tiny amount of ic diamond i had left to the cooler and some old antec formula5 to the cpu die.

RESULTS :
the idle temps dropped but load temps remained in the 70s

2
i removed ihs again, i had no spare thermal paste this time, i tried a direct-die mount* of the cpu cooler but it wasn't uber tight like it has to be so it booted for only a few secs.
Now my cpu cooler is mounted without thermal paste pretty much, the cpu die + IHS has a tiny amount of second hand ic diamond /antec formula5

*a cpu with cooler mounted to the die but not attached properly especially a highly OCed one will die very fast in this state, make sure there's tension always when powering up.

RESULTS :
Currently my idle temps are not too shabby in general the cores are at say ...35C idling, however i'm in the eighties pretty quick these days i'll say that much.

Last words till next post:
Today i hope to get some paste and try do the job well, i'll forget about the direct die mounting but it's very easy just make extra space with tape inbetween back of mobu + cpu cooler mount that attaches to rear so the screws can be tightened down tighter.


How did you check if there was no gap when mounting cooling directly onto the cpu die ?. Also i feel that the surface area of the cpu die is insufficient to transfer large amount of heat. Gets to a point where i cannot be efficient .
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#60)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-12-2013, 08:27 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
How did you check if there was no gap when mounting cooling directly onto the cpu die ?. .
I gave the cpu cooler a shoogle.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#61)
MechWarrior
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
Processor: i7-3960x @ 4.8GHz HT On
Mainboard: MSi X79A-GD65(8D)
Memory: 16GB RipjawsX 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard for now
PSU: Antec TPQ 1200 watt
Default 01-12-2013, 12:43 | posts: 377

Sorry this is OT but Hallryu is that HD 8970 in your sig a typo or do you really have AMDs next gen flagship card?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#62)
Matt26LFC
Maha Guru
 
Matt26LFC's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970Ghz CF Qnix2710 96Hz
Processor: i5 3570K/Raystorm/120.5
Mainboard: Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB 1866Mhz Platinums
Soundcard: ALC889 / HD449s
PSU: HX1050
Default 01-12-2013, 13:12 | posts: 2,489 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechWarrior View Post
Sorry this is OT but Hallryu is that HD 8970 in your sig a typo or do you really have AMDs next gen flagship card?
I noticed that too, I also noticed that BLEH has 2x8970 in his. Perhaps they're planning to buy those when they come out, I know I'm considering it
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#63)
macdaddy
Maha Guru
 
macdaddy's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 / MSI G 290X
Processor: 4770K <-- Lemon
Mainboard: ASUS MAX 6 IMPACT
Memory: Dom. Plat 8GB 2400
Soundcard: AUDIOENGINE D1 HD650
PSU: 700W Enermax
Default 01-12-2013, 14:22 | posts: 2,348 | Location: AUSTRALIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt26LFC View Post
I noticed that too, I also noticed that BLEH has 2x8970 in his. Perhaps they're planning to buy those when they come out, I know I'm considering it
Its meant to be a dig at AMD. AMD has renamed or rebrand the 7 series to 8 series for the OEM market
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#64)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-12-2013, 19:24 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland



Cpu die cleaned for third time, used antec formula7 this time, when stress testing my cpu doesn't get much near 70C, earlier today it was mid eightees so i'm glad with results, before the first ihs removal it would reach mid seventees, so it looks like around 8C lower i gained from the job, i'll probably not remove IHS another time as it seems to be nice and sealed down. I'll maybe chance coolers sometime though, but i'm glad i ain't seeing the seventees anyways.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#65)
Matt26LFC
Maha Guru
 
Matt26LFC's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970Ghz CF Qnix2710 96Hz
Processor: i5 3570K/Raystorm/120.5
Mainboard: Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB 1866Mhz Platinums
Soundcard: ALC889 / HD449s
PSU: HX1050
Default 01-12-2013, 19:35 | posts: 2,489 | Location: UK

^^ Is there no need to remove the glue from the PCB? I thought people where cleaning the glue off the IHS and PCB and not just the TIM?

I've been sat here all day debating whether to do mine now or not, and I've just seen your post dude, making me want to get on with it
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#66)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-12-2013, 19:39 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

remove the glue from IHS, but on the cpu you gotta be very careful so if it's not a thick layer you can just leave it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#67)
Matt26LFC
Maha Guru
 
Matt26LFC's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970Ghz CF Qnix2710 96Hz
Processor: i5 3570K/Raystorm/120.5
Mainboard: Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB 1866Mhz Platinums
Soundcard: ALC889 / HD449s
PSU: HX1050
Default 01-12-2013, 20:03 | posts: 2,489 | Location: UK

Ok cheers matey
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#68)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-12-2013, 22:17 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

I'm getting 4.8ghz with idle core temps @ average 33C -my cpu runs 24/7 at full clocks /full voltage too.
I could do 4.8ghz before but the heat was rather ...yes indeed.
load temps now still under 70C. still testing so i may still roll back to 4.7 for the sake of extended gaming sessions.
But yeah i like the improvement after finally doing job well (you know what i mean, with all required tools at hand).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#69)
hallryu
Don Altobello
 
hallryu's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 01-14-2013, 23:36 | posts: 11,362 | Location: England

I'm stunned.

Finally got round to building my upgrade Z77 rig and IT WORKS!

Remember I mentioned that I had nicked the PCB, not once but TWICE!

Well, **** the bed, it works!

OMG so chuffed!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#70)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-14-2013, 23:40 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallryu View Post
I'm stunned.

Finally got round to building my upgrade Z77 rig and IT WORKS!

Remember I mentioned that I had nicked the PCB, not once but TWICE!

Well, **** the bed, it works!

OMG so chuffed!
Did you delid another one?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#71)
hallryu
Don Altobello
 
hallryu's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 01-14-2013, 23:44 | posts: 11,362 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
Did you delid another one?
No mate, the one I thought must be dead is actually working.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#72)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-14-2013, 23:47 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Ahh well i guess it's the mobo bios that needs sorting next then if you've not already, that's just great news, very happy for ya.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#73)
hallryu
Don Altobello
 
hallryu's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 01-14-2013, 23:49 | posts: 11,362 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI-756 View Post
Ahh well i guess it's the mobo bios that needs sorting next then if you've not already, that's just great news, very happy for ya.
Cheers matey! Now the long process of a clean windows install!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#74)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru
 
SLI-756's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 760 SLI 4gb @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 01-15-2013, 00:01 | posts: 7,133 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Although i'm a big fan of the 3770k i just don't have the funds to be able to slice one open but i still feel lucky with the one i have all nicely sealed up.
Wonder how Crysis3 will treat CPUs? Far Cry3 is quite brutal towards them.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#75)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 01-15-2013, 00:02 | posts: 18,249 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Congrats hal!
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.