Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Consoles & console games
Consoles & console games This section is for all hardcore console gamers out there .. XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, Wii Threads with posts in January 2007 can be found in General Hardware

Old
  (#326)
scatman839
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970m, UE46D5000
Processor: i7 3610QM
Mainboard: Intel HM77
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Soundcard: Via HD, x-530
PSU: 180w
Default 11-28-2012, 18:36 | posts: 9,994 | Location: Dundee, Scotland

I was under the impression the gpu was 6 series based?

Old
  (#327)
Kaleid
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD HD7750
Processor: i3 530 @ 4.04
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-fi Extrememusic
PSU: Silver Power 750w
Default 11-28-2012, 18:57 | posts: 2,018 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
Three things are becoming clear with the H/W:

1: The CPU is underpowered by modern standards.
2: VERY low memory bandwidth (necessitating a separate memory buffer). Combined with a weak CPU, I would suspect 60 FPS is going to be hard to maintain in demanding games.
3: GPU looks to be a modified 4000 based GPU, as suspected a year ago (based on size and 40nm process node). Possibly a 4770 varient. Better then the aged GPU of the 360/PS3, but old by modern PC standards. [Current roumers have the PS4/720 using 7000 series class GPU's, for a comparison]

Yes, the Wii U is better then whats currently out there. But its based on very cheap hardware. I can't see it competing against the next generation consoles from Sony/MS.
MS and Sony's new consoles will be poor performers too compared to the PC, because they need to cut down power usage.
But I agree about CPU and memory bandwidth...

Old
  (#328)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC II
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default 11-28-2012, 19:32 | posts: 1,032 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
MS and Sony's new consoles will be poor performers too compared to the PC, because they need to cut down power usage.
But I agree about CPU and memory bandwidth...
But aren't consoles always poor looking vs. pc's? Difference is consoles dont have the bloatware of an OS and the luxury of developers only having to make a game with that set hardware in mind.

PC's can be literally 100x more powerful than any console but what good is it when PC's have been reduced to nothing more than console ports with a few higher res textures and special AA features?

And now intel announcing their new line where the cpu's are in place within the mobo and can't be upgraded...pc enthusiasts are becoming endangered.

Then you have nvidia pushing tablets hard because they're making so much profit off of it, enough that it compensates the losses they've taken on pc's.

It's an odd time in gaming. Things are shifting, I almost think there are too many options and most of it will crumble....people aren't going to buy 9 devices to play 9 different games. Oversaturation.

Old
  (#329)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 570
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 11-28-2012, 20:21 | posts: 14,798 | Location: Glasgow

By the time the PS4/720 or whatever they are called are out, PC's will no doubt be far more advanced, on paper that is as i doubt there will be much if any real world difference when it comes to actual game visuals.

PC's will still be there for the extreme side, 25x16, 3D, Eyefinity/Surround and things like 120hz, but for 1080/60 i don't see much separating them as there isn't much more you can do with traditional rendering.

As for the Wii-U, i think it will do absolutely fine as it has at least a year to make an impact and even though the Sony/MS consoles will beat it hardware wise, neither of them will have any chance of competing with Nintendo when it comes to price.

In a world where alot of people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p video, or between streaming video and BluRay, i hardly think they will see the difference between Wii-U and PS4/720 games.

Old
  (#330)
scatman839
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970m, UE46D5000
Processor: i7 3610QM
Mainboard: Intel HM77
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Soundcard: Via HD, x-530
PSU: 180w
Default 11-28-2012, 20:48 | posts: 9,994 | Location: Dundee, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption80 View Post
As for the Wii-U, i think it will do absolutely fine as it has at least a year to make an impact and even though the Sony/MS consoles will beat it hardware wise, neither of them will have any chance of competing with Nintendo when it comes to price.

In a world where alot of people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p video, or between streaming video and BluRay, i hardly think they will see the difference between Wii-U and PS4/720 games.
This, absolutely.

As pc gamers we spend most of our time looking towards the forefront, us and other graphics enthusiasts will make up a small portion of the total sales concerning games.

Old
  (#331)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 11-29-2012, 00:41 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Three things are becoming clear with the H/W:

1: The CPU is underpowered by modern standards.
2: VERY low memory bandwidth (necessitating a separate memory buffer). Combined with a weak CPU, I would suspect 60 FPS is going to be hard to maintain in demanding games.
3: GPU looks to be a modified 4000 based GPU, as suspected a year ago (based on size and 40nm process node). Possibly a 4770 varient. Better then the aged GPU of the 360/PS3, but old by modern PC standards. [Current roumers have the PS4/720 using 7000 series class GPU's, for a comparison]

Yes, the Wii U is better then whats currently out there. But its based on very cheap hardware. I can't see it competing against the next generation consoles from Sony/MS.
First of all on the memory bandwith it may have 12.8 GB but that dont Include 32MB "EDRAM" now i took this off neogaf forums which is very reliable source one of those poeple actually knows what their talking about This is the edram it uses and comes in 3 configurations

Renesas UX8 eDRAM comes in three configurations: 1MB macro on a 128bit or 256bit bus, or 8MB on a 256bit bus. Wii U has 32MB eDRAM, so the bus should be either 1024, 4096 or 8192bit wide. The eDRAM should be clocked at either 486 or 729MHz, which leaves us with six possible configurations:

1024bit, 486MHz: 57.9GB/s
1024bit, 729MHz: 86.9GB/s
4096bit, 486MHz: 231.7GB/s
4096bit, 729MHz: 347.6GB/s
8192bit, 486MHz: 463.5GB/s
8192bit, 729MHz: 695.2GB/s

Since the console is price around 300 they will likely to use the 486 MHZ lets say that one EDRAM is at 57.9 GB's u add that with the 12.8 GB's now thats 70.GBS wii u's EDRAM is way faster than 360 edram and it will destroy it. No wonder developers dont complain of wii u's memory as matter of fact they are praising it second of all there is no way of officially confirming that wii u is 12.8GB's based on those article did they even contact the manufacture and ask how much really those bandwith is? they just look at the part number and look it up for u all know it maybe custom memory that pumps more bandwith that what they claim on anandtech and last but not least with 70.GB's bandwith that already is 360 and ps3 combined bandwith lol.

Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44737075

Second of all 4000 series gpu dont support GPGPU "General Purpose Computing On Graphics Processing Unit" GPGPU was First used on Radeon 5000 series also this is maybe couple months old but it was confirmed by amd tech rep that it is used Radeon E6760 GPGPU. and also this legit site confirmed it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/amd-...-gpu-the-e6760

Now look the E6760 GFLOPS on this video it is rated at 576 Wii U was rated around 500 now that matches up pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3a9G7F8nc

now if those bandwith are so slow crytek cryengine 3 would not run beautifully lol

"Concerns over Wii U's power have led many industry observers to question whether Nintendo's new system is even as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli doesn't share those concerns. In an interview with CVG, Yerli said Wii U is "minimum on par with the current generation."

The executive went on to comment that CryEngine 3, which has powered his company's latest efforts on the Crysis series, more than functions on Wii U. "It actually runs beautifully," said Yerli. He went on to note that while Crytek didn't have a business plan that justified development on Wii U, there is "a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great."

Yerlis said Wii u minimum power is par on current gen system imagine if its full power i say obliteration

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...tiful-on-wii-u

Im guessing Crysis 3 wii u version or Sniper Ghost Warrior. as we all know Crytek has superior engine than 4A studios Metro series. and they manage to make cryengine 3 run on it.

while playing arkham i notice the amount of detail and draw distance on wii u is far superior compare to 360 and ps3 is not even close. the snow effects was awesome , the lighting it has this whoah moment when u look at it it kinda blinds u which is HDR Rendering, i was shock even a port liek this could produce almost pc level graphics and trust me i play arkham city maxed out on pc.

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 11-29-2012 at 01:03.

Old
  (#332)
gamerk2
Maha Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
Processor: Intel i7 2600k @ 3.9GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Xense
PSU: 750W
Default 11-29-2012, 14:23 | posts: 2,104 | Location: Medford, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman839 View Post
I was under the impression the gpu was 6 series based?
Unlikely if its still on the 40nm node. Won't know for sure though until someone breaks NDA, or breaks out an electron microscope.

AMD changed their shader design since the 4000-series from VLIW5 to VLIW4. If it is indeed a 6000-class derived architecture then the shader count would be both higher and more efficient.

Again though, still speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penal Stingray View Post
First of all on the memory bandwith it may have 12.8 GB but that dont Include 32MB "EDRAM" now i took this off neogaf forums which is very reliable source one of those poeple actually knows what their talking about This is the edram it uses and comes in 3 configurations
First off, EDRAM is simply a hack to hide how slow the bandwidth is. That means extra coding in order to keep the buffer filled, which means a more difficult port, and higher memory access times for all data not stored in the EDRAM.

Quote:
Renesas UX8 eDRAM comes in three configurations: 1MB macro on a 128bit or 256bit bus, or 8MB on a 256bit bus. Wii U has 32MB eDRAM, so the bus should be either 1024, 4096 or 8192bit wide.
I laughed at this. No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of. You make the absurd assumption theres a need to load the entire buffer in one memory read. This just highlights your idiocy on this subject.

Quote:
now if those bandwith are so slow crytek cryengine 3 would not run beautifully lol
The CryEngine has ALWAYS been GPU heavy. That does NOT mean the CPU isn't going to be a specific program for engines that rely more on the CPU, such as the much more used Unreal Engine.

Quote:
while playing arkham i notice the amount of detail and draw distance on wii u is far superior compare to 360 and ps3 is not even close. the snow effects was awesome , the lighting it has this whoah moment when u look at it it kinda blinds u which is HDR Rendering, i was shock even a port liek this could produce almost pc level graphics and trust me i play arkham city maxed out on pc.
Again, I am NOT arguing the Wii U isn't a step up from current consoles. Its is. I'm arguing that compared to modern systems and what the PS4/720 will bring, its hardware is substandard.

People like you are too busy comparing to the PS3/360, rather then comparing to the real competition: The PS4/720.

Old
  (#333)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: SB X-FI Fatality
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 11-29-2012, 14:36 | posts: 4,733 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:

I laughed at this. No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of. You make the absurd assumption theres a need to load the entire buffer in one memory read. This just highlights your idiocy on this subject.
Nvidia and AMD have been doing it for a while.

Old
  (#334)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 11-29-2012, 14:52 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkoho View Post
Nvidia and AMD have been doing it for a while.
now i laugh at gamer 2k hahaha good one nhlkoho. Gamer2k Quoted "No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of" Let me answer that Geforce GTX 200 series has 512 Bit Memory bus and that was a 4 years ago. looks like someone needs to go to school for a lil bit more education lol.

Link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

Also This EDRAM Has 512 Bit so the statement saying no one bother using more than 256 is just plain bullshet. Ahem talking about idiocy i think u just made ur self a candidate for one

Link: http://technewspedia.com/crystalwell...a-512-bit-bus/

as for next gen ps4 and xbox we will compare when the system is out cant compare yet with jsut rumours and speculation for all u know its slower or faster.

"The CryEngine has ALWAYS been GPU heavy. That does NOT mean the CPU isn't going to be a specific program for engines that rely more on the CPU, such as the much more used Unreal Engine."

Unreal Engine 3 runs fine on wii u even Unreal Engine 4 can be ported on wii u if customers demand it

Link: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/12...ible-on-wii-u/

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 11-29-2012 at 16:18.

Old
  (#335)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: SB X-FI Fatality
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 11-29-2012, 18:03 | posts: 4,733 | Location: Washington DC

I think the first Nvidia card was the 8800GTS that had a 384bit bus or something like that.

Old
  (#336)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 11-29-2012, 23:45 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Looks like wii u has been hacked the cpu codename expresso is indeed POWERPC 750 based IBM CPU! Whoah!!!! this is good news I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!! SAY WUT NOW NOOBS? LOLS it has 1.24 ghz clock speed. and gpu speed is running at 550 GHZ. now we just need some to hack the gpu id strings lol

"he Wii U has already been “hacked” open and the finer details of its CPU, including a surprisingly low clock speed, have been leaked.

The codenames are listed: the CPU is known as Espresso, the GPU as Latte. But it’s the CPU speed that’s going to cause the headlines, apparently running at just 1.243 GHz, consisting of 3 PowerPC 750-type cores."

As you may know power pc 7 has 4 threads each so this is a 3 core wit each core handles 4 threads total of 12 threads "Twice The Threads Of 360". now this is where developers complain since clock for clock it is slower than current gen system but if u build using its architecture u will have a pretty fast cpu. but if u port a game againts it's architecture u will have as slower running game instead so only exlusives will likely to take advantage of it unless 3rd party games will take their time and port the game according to its architecture.

Power 7 CPU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7

And the guys name is Hector Martin

Link: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/11/...acked-already/

and here is Hector Martin Twitter Page the one who hacked the wii u

https://twitter.com/marcan42

In the end POWER 7 Cpu doesnt rely on clocks speed it relies on its superior architecture developers just gotta feed it the right way. Power 7 CPU is Faster than current Gen console cpu. clock for clock its not gonna win Architurally its Far Superior! so down the road when next gen sony and microsoft released it will be utilize by then thus further improve its graphics moving it closer to what 720 and ps4 can do. so this is indeed next gen hardware under wii's u hood.

To all the wii u users on this thread try download Nano Assualt from ESHOP its 10 dollars, its an arcade but u will see a graphics that already miles away of what 360 and ps3 can do. can i say next gen

Nano Assualt, Make sure u watch this video on 720p on youtube theres a lil setting on the player underneath it looks like a gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkoHOGCc66E

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 11-30-2012 at 00:32.

Old
  (#337)
Lycronis
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX460 1GB SLI
Processor: i7 4770K - Kuhler 920
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite 2i4 & KRK R6G2
PSU: Antec TPNew 750 Blue
Default 11-30-2012, 00:52 | posts: 1,047 | Location: South China, Maine USA

This all sounds VERY similar to the PS3/Cell processor BS in the past. Sorry, not going to bite. Face it, the CPU is WEAK, no matter how much they try to dress it up and make it sound pretty. Big mistake by N in the long run, IMHO.

Old
  (#338)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 11-30-2012, 01:57 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycronis View Post
This all sounds VERY similar to the PS3/Cell processor BS in the past. Sorry, not going to bite. Face it, the CPU is WEAK, no matter how much they try to dress it up and make it sound pretty. Big mistake by N in the long run, IMHO.
well cell processor was kinda weak when they are not utilize 3rd party 360 games sometimes ended up looking a lot better but look wut happen when it was all unleashed? by developers ps3 has far better looking exclusives than xbox 360 that same thing goes to wii u, face it in the long run when its all been utilize the graphics will come close to 720 and ps4.

Let me ask you does any 360 exclusives can match this graphics Beyond two souls this my friend all PS3 cell broaband engine to the maximum of its last remaining year of its life span. now the 3rd party games dont look no where as good as this since the cell broadband engine is not properly used. it dont need a rocket scientist to tell u that this graphics obliterates anything 360 can throw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUltxjNaDo

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 11-30-2012 at 02:01.

Old
  (#339)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: OCZ ZS 550w
Default 11-30-2012, 02:29 | posts: 7,634

The problem comes down to multi-platform titles. If Nintendo had included a processor with strong single threaded performance it wouldn't have been so badly off when the other next gen consoles hit the shelves. I'm sure first party titles will look fantastic, but that has almost always been the case with Nintendo. The weakness with most Nintendo systems has always been good third party support.

Old
  (#340)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 11-30-2012, 03:01 | posts: 5,816 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

All I have to say is look what Nintendo achieved with Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Those two games looked amazing on the Wii in terms of graphics. Yeah sure it could of done with some AA here and there but for a standard definition game on hardware that was clearly last gen it still looks pretty damn nice. And if that Zelda E3 demo with the spider on the Wii U was anything to go by then the console can do some pretty neat tricks. If the next Zelda looks like that demo then I am sold. I shall pick up my Wii U in January when it becomes more available.

Old
  (#341)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 570
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 11-30-2012, 13:23 | posts: 14,798 | Location: Glasgow

The CPU will no doubt be capable of great things if used properly, but Nintendo should of learned from Sony's mistake and realise that if you make things awkward for dev's they will either put out a poor port or even worse not even bother porting it at all.

I think console will do well and if it's priced right when the next Playstation and Xbox come out then i don't see that hurting the Wii-U either.

Saying that i doubt i will be buying one, while i do like the controller i've never been a fan of any of Nintendo's IP's, so there isn't much point if i already have a PC.

Old
  (#342)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 11-30-2012, 16:06 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Heres One Big Multiplatform Game I Mean "BIG!" Headed To Wii U! "BATTLEFIELD 4"

"We haven’t heard anything concrete for more than a year, other than developer DICE saying they “see potential” in the Wii U." Im guessing when they say "see potential" its gotta be hardware wise they prolly saw the wii u is one powerful lil console.

Talking about 3rd party support that right there is one solid 3rd party support u got Call of duty series and BF series now on Wii u i mean those are the two biggest shooters i unno what more u ask.

Like i said before developers arent stupid they aint gonna make big hit games on console if the see it has no potential and future.

Link:http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/battlefield-3-on-wii-u/

Final Fantasy XV Coming To Wii U and PS3 too bad No 360! I notice on the video it could be real time rendering using Wii U hardware.

Link: http://www.gamezone.com/products/fin...s3-no-xbox-360

As you may already know UBISOFT is supporting nintendo "One of wii u's strong 3rd party supporter" Splinter Cell Black List Headed to Wii u after 360,ps3 and pc release. The Wii U Version Box already been spotted in irish gamestop.

Link: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...estop-ireland/

Retro Studios Working On Starfox United

Link: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/co...starfox-united

hit games like this on N64 and gamecube will definitely come out on wii u knowing wii u is more poweful and succesful than gamecube.

Another Big One! Metal Gear Ground Zeroes Might come out to Wii U.

" Especially in Japan,Konami celebrates the 25th Anniversary of Metal Gear Solid - and announced a brand new part of the traditional action-stealth series. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero is the game that is being developed by Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions studio is run on the FOX Engine. So far,we have not seen too much from the game and platforms have not been announced.

Obviously it is in Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes but an action game set in an open world,at the center once again Snake is. In a short demo sequence,he appeared on a secret military base,he evaded searchlights and struggled with rain on a dark night. A first atmospheric artwork Konami and Kojima have already been published.

It is expected that the title still appears for the current console generation of PlayStation 3 and Xbox360. Allegedly was at the event but also rumored to already have an implementation for the Wii U and the next Microsoft console. How much is to keep it real,while addressing critical remarks by Kojima and the Wii U console (click) questionable."

Link: http://www.wiiux.de/neuigkeiten/992-...s-angekuendigt

Also some dude manage to hack wii u online Hub and saw upcoming games "Metal Gear Solid"

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h60G1...ature=g-high-u

I have feeling it will come out lol!

Now if wii u cpu so weak why are they games even coming out to wii u i mean BF4 that thing aint gonna run on some weak cpu lmao.

Another Hardware Intensive Game Might Land on wii u and its "Lost Planet 3" By Capcom

Link:http://gamerxchange.net/2012/11/12/l...ming-to-wii-u/

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 12-01-2012 at 10:14.

Old
  (#343)
Wanny
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX670 FTW
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5GHz H100i
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866mhz
Soundcard: Xonar DX w/ Z-5500
PSU: XFX PRO750W XXX
Default 12-03-2012, 03:48 | posts: 7,437 | Location: Canada, Quebec

Such energy spent to defend a console... just go play games guys.

Old
  (#344)
gamerk2
Maha Guru

Default 12-03-2012, 05:31 | posts: 2,104 | Location: Medford, NY

Quote:
now i laugh at gamer 2k hahaha good one nhlkoho. Gamer2k Quoted "No one has ever bothered with a wider then 256-bit memory bus that I can think of" Let me answer that Geforce GTX 200 series has 512 Bit Memory bus and that was a 4 years ago. looks like someone needs to go to school for a lil bit more education lol.
CPU Memory Bus, not GPU memory bus. Big difference.

Old
  (#345)
gamerk2
Maha Guru

Default 12-03-2012, 05:32 | posts: 2,104 | Location: Medford, NY

And in other news, the 2nd Orbis (PS4) Dev kits are out. Apparently powered by an AMD A10 based APU, and configured with either 8GB or 16GB of RAM (as rumored for some time now).

Old
  (#346)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 12-03-2012, 06:27 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

On other hand Next Gen XBOX or Xbox 720 might only have 1.6 GHZ clock speed vs 1.25 GHZ on wii u if these are indeed true it will heavily rely on its architecture just like the wii u. im guessing this guy hacked the dev kits for xbox 720 but this is just a rumour it could true but then again it could be wrong.

Link: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_for...cked-at-1.6GHz

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 12-03-2012 at 06:29.

Old
  (#347)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Default 12-03-2012, 09:00 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
CPU Memory Bus, not GPU memory bus. Big difference.
Ever Heard Of Rambus?

512 Bit Threaded DDR3 Ram

"Threaded memory module technology is implemented utilizing industry-standard DDR3 devices and a conventional module infrastructure. It is capable of providing greater power efficiency for computing systems by partitioning modules into multiple independent channels that share a common command/address port. Threaded modules can support 64-byte [512-bit] memory transfers at full bus utilization, resulting in efficiency gains of up to 50 percent when compared to current DDR3 memory modules. In addition, DRAMs in threaded modules are activated half as often as in conventional modules, resulting in a 20 percent reduction in overall module power."

Link: http://techreport.com/news/17625/ram...eaded-ddr3-ram

Simple Equation incase u need a lil bit more education

Column granularity per access = 16 x 16 x 2 = 512 bits or 64 bytes.

Now where talking about Wii u's EDRam and its a lot faster that DDR3 Ram it can support 512 bit even more unconfirmed sources says its expensive to implement that 32mb EDRAM thats why they have to sell at a loss.

Now looking at those PS4 rumoured specs the next gen xbox 720 might ended up stronger, if the next gen xbox indeed uses 4 core with each cpu is "Quad threading" total of 16 Logical Cores even clocked at 1.6 ghz, the gpu which is Custom 7000 series equivalent to dual 7000 series gpu on pc Based on the rumour. I will say exclusive titles will ended up looking better on next gen xbox even 3rd party games than ps4 thats just my opinion but cant really tell unless the official specs are out.

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 12-03-2012 at 13:56.

Old
  (#348)
gamerk2
Maha Guru

Default 12-03-2012, 15:11 | posts: 2,104 | Location: Medford, NY

Quote:
On other hand Next Gen XBOX or Xbox 720 might only have 1.6 GHZ clock speed vs 1.25 GHZ on wii u if these are indeed true it will heavily rely on its architecture just like the wii u. im guessing this guy hacked the dev kits for xbox 720 but this is just a rumour it could true but then again it could be wrong.

Except you forget a very minor point: PPC versus X86. As a general rule: An X86 CPU is about 1.5x as efficient as a PPC based CPU. So the difference is even bigger then that.

Quote:
Ever Heard Of Rambus?

512 Bit Threaded DDR3 Ram

"Threaded memory module technology is implemented utilizing industry-standard DDR3 devices and a conventional module infrastructure. It is capable of providing greater power efficiency for computing systems by partitioning modules into multiple independent channels that share a common command/address port. Threaded modules can support 64-byte [512-bit] memory transfers at full bus utilization, resulting in efficiency gains of up to 50 percent when compared to current DDR3 memory modules. In addition, DRAMs in threaded modules are activated half as often as in conventional modules, resulting in a 20 percent reduction in overall module power."

Link: http://techreport.com/news/17625/ram...eaded-ddr3-ram

Simple Equation incase u need a lil bit more education

Column granularity per access = 16 x 16 x 2 = 512 bits or 64 bytes.

Now where talking about Wii u's EDRam and its a lot faster that DDR3 Ram it can support 512 bit even more unconfirmed sources says its expensive to implement that 32mb EDRAM thats why they have to sell at a loss.
I believe RDRAM fell flat on its face, because DDR ended up being faster at the end of the day due to faster clocks?

Secondly, OF COURSE the EDRAM is faster; its being used as a small memory buffer, so it has to be insanely fast or you'd choke off the CPU. Its only 32MB though, so the amount of data it can hold at any one time is very limited. Think of it as an L4 cache: a slight speedup over having to go to main memory, but not much more then that. Performance is still being driven by MAIN MEMORY access times, which are very slow.

Old
  (#349)
Shadowdane
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 780Ti SLI
Processor: i7-4770K @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: GSkill 16GB DDR3-2400
Soundcard: SBZ/ProMonitor800/M8 Sub
PSU: Corsair 850HX
Default 12-03-2012, 16:08 | posts: 793 | Location: Virginia

Quote:

People seem to forget clock speed isn't everything. Just look back at the Pentium 4 vs Core 2 Duo CPUs. When the C2D was first introduced it took a few weeks/months for people to get use to the slower clockspeeds were actually faster. At the time the top-end P4 was 3.4Ghz and the entry level 1.8Ghz C2D could crush it. If people are expecting the next-gen systems to be pushing 3.8-4Ghz CPUs, it's not going to happen. Heat caused soo many issues for the 360 & PS3, more so for the 360.

I think the next gen systems will all have architectures which run at slower clock speeds, but can do more per clock. If the WiiU can push 12 threads, that is already a step ahead of the 360 & PS3. It might take a year or more for developers to really get use to the new platform. Hell it took the 360 & PS3 quite a few years to really push the hardware. Looking back at the first 360 & PS3 games they looked pretty crappy compared to the games being released now.

Last edited by Shadowdane; 12-03-2012 at 20:54. Reason: Fix typo

Old
  (#350)
Jae-So
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX460OC SLI
Processor: i5 750 @3.6GHz/ H50
Mainboard: Gigabyte P55-UD4
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: none
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 12-03-2012, 16:32 | posts: 6,724 | Location: Bristol, UK

Gonna wait until Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy 3 are out, I think we need to see the other next gen consoles first