Win7 native AHCI vs Intel AHCI

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Bornslip, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Bornslip

Bornslip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti
    Just installed my first SSD Drive, Crucial M4 128GB, so far so good!

I decided to do a fresh install of Win7 64bit instead of migrating from my old drive, so Windows should already have enabled it's native AHCI drivers during installation.

My question is; my motherboard has onboard AHCI controllers for both Jmicron and Intel, should I just run with the native Win7 drivers, or install drivers for either Jmicron/Intel, and if so which one? (What are the differences?)

EDIT: Found out that the jmicron controller only controls eSata and one lonely sata port which I do not use, so I disabled the jmicron. The question remains though, Native Win7 drivers or Intel Driver for AHCI, does it really matter?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
  3. Bornslip

Bornslip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti
    Thanks! Should I ideally be using the F6 installation method during OS installation, or can I just update the drivers directly via device manager?

4. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Just download the STOR_allOS_9.6.0.1014_PV.exe file and run it. It will install everything you need in windows.

The other 2 small files have to be used only when installing an OS which is not supporting your controller (for windows 7 it is not needed since you can do it afterward :))

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Install the OS with AHCI enabled in BIOS then update through Device Manager.