Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In his blog post, usability expert Jakob Nielsen of the Nielsen Norman Group explained in excruciating detail exactly why and how Windows 8 is difficult to use. It was a damning report that might have...

Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7

2. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    The thread title is wrong, from win 8 to 7 is actually an upgrade, only M$ wants people to believe otherwise. And upgrading from win 8 to 7 isn't so easy in some cases, many notebooks for example come without the ability to disable "secure boot" which means you are stuck with win 8. At least now we know what the secure boot feature is actually good for, it's there to prevent people to upgrade to a better OS like win 7 or Linux.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What you write is total absurd that makes no sense and is just wrong. There are enough hate posts without any reason already.

back to topic:
    If for some reason one wants to downgrade (eg. corporate software compatibility), it's good to have such option. Still, it should be a little more straightforward.

4. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I agree, Windows 8 is fine. I've had zero problems with it and in most cases is faster. This is just going to bring the flocks of boo birds and the herds of nay nay goats.

5. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I too have had no problems with Windows 8. It took a month of getting used to but now I actually prefer it over 7/Vista/XP/etc now. Not to mention the Win 8 launch went a lot smoother than 7's, or at least for me. I was an early adopter and finding drivers and whatnot was a chore when it first came out. That wasn't at all the case with 8. I won't go into detail again though since I've already done that on another thread. :)

On topic though, they really should lower the price of Win 7 instead of punishing people for their preferences. It doesn't make sense for Windows 8 to be 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of 7. I mean, I guess it does from a company perspective to encourage more people to buy 8 but tradition says that once a new product comes out it's predecessor should be less expensive.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I didn´t like w8 at first due to the UI. Now that i got it, i think it´s good. I understand why people might not like w8, but i fail to see what´s all the hate about. I´ve been using w8 for a week now and i´ve mastered how it works. Don´t like it? Fine, don´t use it. You have the right to criticize it as much as you want and that´s positive as long as you stay rational but mostly what i read here on the negative side is plain bitching. I wonder if people actually used w8 before make an opinion.

7. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    Been on Win 8 for about a month now. Actually have 4 computers in the house now on it (mine, wife, HTPC, & old rig) with 3 still on Win7. As far as "speed" goes I can't really say I notice any real difference on my Rig. I tried to put Win8 on my Gateway netbook & couldn't update the display drivers so I went back to 7 on it.

I rarely use the start screen & I really don't care for the live tiles. 1 thing I can say I actually loath is the Start Screen's limited configuration ability. I can't seem to get those Phucking tiles all where I want them because they have some odd way of effecting each other when you move one. Furthermore, I hate "icons", I want a G-damn Alphabetical list! Tiles to me are nothing but very large icons. This is the only thing I can honestly say I hate about Win8, this phucking irritating start screen.

Other then the start screen, I like Win8. Btw, yes I know about the hack software to restore an original menu. I don't want it right now because I am hoping MS wises up & allows ultimate control over the start screen config.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Glad i went back to 7. i had problems with d3doverrider,sweetfx, smaa dlls , fxaa dlls, enb series.
    Most games worked fine, but some games would crash when launched , or it wouldnt work at all.

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

And what about these mods bring out some win8 support instead? They'll have to, one day or another...

10. gumbanator

gumbanator Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 970 /660ti phyx
    I think all tech sites should stop posting articles about windows 8 as all it brings out are the hardware warriors with there rehashed comments ,now dont get me wrong the way this has been handled by ms is a farce touchscreen support aka metro should of been a downloadable pack like the media centre not this force everyone to a certain walled in garden approach it will work with some types out there ,but they did alienate all the power users but dosnt take more than 5 minutes to cure win8 ills classic shell skip metro suite and ribbon disabler and at the end of this laborious process :p you are left with a leaner quicker very cheap legal os that has years of life cycle for driver maturity .........................

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sounds great, but i dont know how the authors feel about that. d3doverider hasnt been updated for years and i dont know what it takes to update all those dll's.

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Powerusers actually got better key shortcuts support, but some still want Win95 menu and call themselves powerusers.

Anyway, if someone really badly wants to use older system for some reason and got Win8 with new rig, they might call MS with some support questions.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The mods work fine in Windows 8.

Using ENB and SweetFX in Skyrim currently.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Not for every game they dont.

15. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Windows 8 takes some getting used to. With that said I have had it since launch and don't see any reason to go back to 7. Power users should be the ones that evolve the quickest. Novice users are who I can see having the most issues adapting. Everything new has a learning curve Windows 8 is no different.

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

The main mods are working fine for me too, but some older or small stuff doesn't.

17. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    D3DOverrider works fine here. TB and Vsync. Together and separately.:nerd: About those post processes.

18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Did you try darksiders 2 ?

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    My colleague bought a HP laptop with Windows 8.

First thing I tried to do was install windows updates.

Hanged at the infamous 12% for about an hour and then reverted.

Apart from that it ran fine.

20. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    I don't have it. But DS2 has integrated Vsync, or no?