Corsair H100i gets tested and a review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this article we test and review the newly revised Corsair H100i, the liquid cooler is more compatible with Corsair's LINK software. This allows you to program, customize and monitor this H100i Liq...

Corsair H100i gets tested and a review

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thanks for review!

very tempting kit, would love to get it for next rig.

3. FoXkill

FoXkill Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560 SLI @ 975Mhz
    I wonder weather using the 3770K is the best choice, as it is well documented that the heat problems are because of poor heat transfer from the silicon die to the IHS. Therefore any cooler will yield less than optimal results, because its not at fault for the poor temps...

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How does it compare to the NH-D14?

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You know prior to testing I've been battling that very same question. But the fact remains that Ivy Bridge is what people buy -- and as such you want to know how these coolers perform on it.

We could use a Core i7 2600K instead, but these already are EOL. We could also use a 1000 EUR 6-core Core i7 3960X processor but again ... how many people do actually buy these processors ?

The vast majority of our readers will purchase the Core i7 37x0 series -- so this is what most of our readers are really interested in hence we took the top 4-core SKU -- it's just that Intel made things very complicated with their poor heat transfer design.

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Think you could test this on a bulldozer processor, i am curious since there are so few reviews out there testing hetsinks and water cooling on such processors. I have seen people get 5GHz overclocking on them with the H100. However the i100 reviews are few and far between.

7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    IB also naturally just runs hotter. It's not JUST the TIM.

And btw, my 3770K sucks and needs 1.3v+ for 4.6Ghz.

8. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    I have the H100 & a 3770k. My temps were slightly higher vs. your baseline running prime 95 with my Mobo's default turbo mode hitting 4.1 ghz & the middle fan mode running. I would guess the middle fan mode is balanced. I did hear some fans speed up but I didn't investigate which fans sped up so I don't know if it was the radiator fans or not.

Apparently I bought this right before the H100i was released. Is the major difference between the H100 & H100i a smarter fan controller & how the fans are manually adjusted?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think the biggest difference is the tubing. The new tubing is more flexible.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Throw a couple of noctua f 12s on this coupled with some of the best TIM money can buy and you'd see up to a -5C load temp difference i'd imagine, or around -3 when highly OCed.

11. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Will there be a h80i review, cuz I'm really wondering would it be worth upgrading from H80 to H80i?

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I hope they fixed the h100i so the block top/cover does not fall off, it breaks the plastic sides off so easy on the h100.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Not had time to read the whole thing yet, how does it compare to the old H100?

14. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
  15. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Too bad it's not a quad fan (push-pull) configuration. That would make it a must-have for me.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Just put two more fans on it. That's what I did with the H100. :thumbup:

17. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Good review.

Noticed a small grammatical error here:

"After installing free to download LINK software you may monitoring efficiency, temperatures, control the fan RPM a large range of variables really."

18. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    this little bit in the review made me ROFL lots :funny:

"We now see Core i7 3770K @ 4600 GHz with 1.3 volts" :3eyes:

Really that would have to be the all time world record for the next twenty or so years wouldn't it I mean when is the last time you saw a CPU doing 4.6THz (yes that's TeraHertz) it just make the mind boggle at what you get upto during a review Hilbert it truly does ;)

19. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    oh and Nice review but I'm with Dazz can we see some results for AMD CPU's please either of the 81xx/83xx CPU's will do

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, 3770K is the best option in this case. Heat will move more quickly to a cooler surface so, if it can keep the temperature of a 3770K under control, it will be as or more effective on other processors that don't have the same thermal issues.