Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013 - 11-21-2012, 08:12 | posts: 19,564 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Last month AMD announced it will lay off 1700 people, about 15 percent of its workforce, and now rumors hit the web that even more cuts are coming in January. AllThingsD picked up a rumor from multipl...

AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013

Old
  (#2)
Andrew LB
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 680
Processor: i5-4670K @ 4.2ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair 1kw HX
Default 11-21-2012, 10:16 | posts: 291 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Expect to see employee layoffs in pretty much every sector except banking/financial starting in January. While the pi$$ poor economy is a factor in this, somehow the main ****** media has refused to cover why layoffs are looking to dramatically spike up around New Years. The answer is simple...

... Obama Care.

Starting January 1st, businesses large and small will be forced to spend thousands of additional dollars per year on health care benefits for each and every full time employee. All of you small business owners out there are keenly aware of this massive additional expense and many are in my situation where I simply cannot afford it.

AMD like most companies are being faced with the following choices in order to stay in business.

1. Lay off employees - Cuts overhead but the remaining employees will have much higher workloads just to keep afloat.
2. Refuse to comply with the law and/or stop providing healthcare coverage, in which you are assessed a fine of $750+ for each employee who lacks the required coverage. The fine is less expensive than health insurance.
3. Cut full-time employee hours per week to 29 or less in order to avoid the fines from the IRS. Many restaurants, department stores, and service sector companies will be going with this option. Most restaurants would go bankrupt if they comply.

And that's not the worst of it. After getting slammed with all these additional expenses, somehow the Obama Administration doesn't realize that nobody is going to hire new employees, expand their business, or drop a bunch of money into R&D. I predict the Q1-2013 GDP will cross into the negative and by 1H-2013... we will have entered another recession.

... If I'm right and Obama is intentionally going to not reach a deal on the "Fiscal Cliff" come January 1st in order to hit ALL Americans with a massive tax hike... and blaming the Republicans for being true to their Oath not to raise tax rates on any American. It's why he is in Asia instead of being in DC working out a compromise.

Old
  (#3)
schmidtbag
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 6GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 11-21-2012, 15:34 | posts: 279 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
Expect to see employee layoffs in pretty much every sector except banking/financial starting in January. While the pi$$ poor economy is a factor in this, somehow the main ****** media has refused to cover why layoffs are looking to dramatically spike up around New Years. The answer is simple...

... Obama Care.

Starting January 1st, businesses large and small will be forced to spend thousands of additional dollars per year on health care benefits for each and every full time employee. All of you small business owners out there are keenly aware of this massive additional expense and many are in my situation where I simply cannot afford it.

AMD like most companies are being faced with the following choices in order to stay in business.

1. Lay off employees - Cuts overhead but the remaining employees will have much higher workloads just to keep afloat.
2. Refuse to comply with the law and/or stop providing healthcare coverage, in which you are assessed a fine of $750+ for each employee who lacks the required coverage. The fine is less expensive than health insurance.
3. Cut full-time employee hours per week to 29 or less in order to avoid the fines from the IRS. Many restaurants, department stores, and service sector companies will be going with this option. Most restaurants would go bankrupt if they comply.

And that's not the worst of it. After getting slammed with all these additional expenses, somehow the Obama Administration doesn't realize that nobody is going to hire new employees, expand their business, or drop a bunch of money into R&D. I predict the Q1-2013 GDP will cross into the negative and by 1H-2013... we will have entered another recession.

... If I'm right and Obama is intentionally going to not reach a deal on the "Fiscal Cliff" come January 1st in order to hit ALL Americans with a massive tax hike... and blaming the Republicans for being true to their Oath not to raise tax rates on any American. It's why he is in Asia instead of being in DC working out a compromise.
While I personally feel Obama Care and other welfare related features are drastically hurting the US economy, I never got e impression that businesses were obligated to support it, or that they had much to do with it at all. You are not entitled to getting benefits for your work, at least if you're paid enough to get them yourself.

Anyways, I too would like to know the exact reasoning behind these layoffs. I'm sure a decent chunk of these people really aren't needed that much but the amount they're letting go is way too high without explanation. AMDs management team really sucks, but at least the members who voluntarily left the company seemed to realize that themselves, and while those were exactly the people who should've stayed, maybe the others just wouldn't listen.

Old
  (#4)
Xtreme1979
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 2GB O/C
Processor: 2600K 4.4-4.7gHZ 1.30v
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43 B3
Memory: DDR3 Ripjaws Z 2133 4x4gb
Soundcard: X-Fi/Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold
Default 11-21-2012, 16:04 | posts: 1,256 | Location: Bay City, MI

“The thinking is that management needs to get a few things right that they didn’t in the last round of layoffs,” one source told me.

AMD can't even get layoffs right.

Old
  (#5)
bobdude
Maha Guru

Videocard: PS4
Processor: PS4
Mainboard: PS4
Memory: PS4
Soundcard: PS4
PSU: PS4
Default 11-21-2012, 16:32 | posts: 1,826 | Location: AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1979 View Post
“The thinking is that management needs to get a few things right that they didn’t in the last round of layoffs,” one source told me.

AMD can't even get layoffs right.
i hope you really don't think you know what your talking about

Old
  (#6)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 11-21-2012, 16:36 | posts: 5,825 | Location: Dubai

So who'll be left then?

Old
  (#7)
Xtreme1979
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 2GB O/C
Processor: 2600K 4.4-4.7gHZ 1.30v
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43 B3
Memory: DDR3 Ripjaws Z 2133 4x4gb
Soundcard: X-Fi/Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold
Default 11-21-2012, 17:36 | posts: 1,256 | Location: Bay City, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdude View Post
i hope you really don't think you know what your talking about
I am quoting the article did you read it? I didn't write it.

Old
  (#8)
Xendance
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 570
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: X-FI Platinum+7.1 system
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower
Default 11-21-2012, 17:39 | posts: 5,439 | Location: Funland aka Happycamp aka Finland

Quote:

... Obama Care.

The answer is the recession that just happened plus poor products from AMD, not some goddamn Obamacare.....
You people over on the other side of the pond need to learn to think in non-black and white way.

Old
  (#9)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-1050
Default 11-21-2012, 18:04 | posts: 12,001 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
The answer is the recession that just happened plus poor products from AMD, not some goddamn Obamacare.....
You people over on the other side of the pond need to learn to think in non-black and white way.
Lol stop posting sh!t that makes sense.

Old
  (#10)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 11-21-2012, 19:26 | posts: 11,396 | Location: England

Healthcare doesn't need to be discussed here.

Old
  (#11)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 11-21-2012, 19:39 | posts: 2,910 | Location: USA

So shocking and previous post about this was lock cause you all thought the guy was trolling and banned him now hilbert posting about it.

AMD is gona kill them selves more then already have seeing that havent made cpu in years that actual can complete with intel and intel cpu prices just seem to keeping geting more expenisve now AMD letting more people go. What happens when AMD is left with just there managers?? lmao

Old
  (#12)
---TK---
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-21-2012, 23:07 | posts: 17,161 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Yikes

Old
  (#13)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 11-21-2012, 23:17 | posts: 15,596 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
So shocking and previous post about this was lock cause you all thought the guy was trolling and banned him now hilbert posting about it.

AMD is gona kill them selves more then already have seeing that havent made cpu in years that actual can complete with intel and intel cpu prices just seem to keeping geting more expenisve now AMD letting more people go. What happens when AMD is left with just there managers?? lmao
Difference. The other guy posted simply to troll about AMD..... Hilbert is posting because it's news worthy.

Old
  (#14)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 11-21-2012, 23:21 | posts: 2,910 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Difference. The other guy posted simply to troll about AMD..... Hilbert is posting because it's news worthy.
how so he said same thing was gona happen begining next year shown with links. I find it funny weather he did it troll or not it still happened to be true. Not that it can be proved any more the whole topic went from locked to deleted apparntly.

Last edited by tsunami231; 11-21-2012 at 23:24.

Old
  (#15)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2*7970 @ 1000/1500
Processor: 3930K @ 4.2 GHz, 1.26 V
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79S-UP5
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz@9-10-9-27
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 11-21-2012, 23:38 | posts: 4,141 | Location: Not Far North Enough (England)

Maybe we can get a Kickstarter to save AMD...

Old
  (#16)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 11-21-2012, 23:43 | posts: 2,910 | Location: USA

hah, that wont help them they will just give to all the managers and can more of there workers. it kinda sad that amd come to this, maybe the fact all the next consoles are using amd might save them hah

Old
  (#17)
KCjoker
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
Processor: Intel i7 950 / CorsairA50
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Memory: Kingston 4GBx2
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 11-22-2012, 00:19 | posts: 2,560 | Location: Kansas City, Mo

Andrew LB is correct but it's not the ONLY reason.

Old
  (#18)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 11-22-2012, 01:11 | posts: 3,841 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
so who'll be left then? :p
intel!!

Old
  (#19)
JohnMaclane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 8800GTS 640mb
Processor: E6400
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35
Memory: 4Gb Corsair 800mhz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
PSU: OCZ Modsteam 450watt
Default 11-22-2012, 07:59 | posts: 4,837 | Location: Malta

Quote:

... Obama Care.

Obama causes cancer too?

Old
  (#20)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X, Philips HP1000
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 11-22-2012, 08:09 | posts: 1,220 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMaclane View Post
Obama causes cancer too?
I do agree that it's an exaggeration, however to compare, social and health taxes over here, in Poland take so big part of salary, that when companies get into troubles, they often have to fire big part of the workforce.