AMD to cut thousands of jobs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    At least one person gets the point. :nerd:

2. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    As AMD used to say "Real men have fabs".

AMD have 1 strength which is their graphics department. The CPU architectures of late have been quite a flop and AMD is not managing to monetize on the graphics performance due to the issues outlined here.

They're using too much silicon per chip (eating their margins) and they completely dropped the ball on the manufacturing. I remember AMD actually had bested intel on the 90nm node (SOI with IBM help). Nowadays AMD is a fabless company which just pisses me off. If AMD were able to make a simple, power efficient CPU core to couple with their IGP then they would be able to grow. However this is not possible with the current architecture and the fabless crap they pulled off.

The race in the future will be between ARM (with all its vendors) and Intel, in a previous post you mentioned how certain tablets have the performance equivalent of a 5 year old PC, I disagree even if we had to compare the A9 or A15 to any 'core' architecture the ARM parts are a non starter (performance wise).

AMD doesn't have the cash, time or capacity to bring x86 within the required envelope to compete with ARM. AMD is trying to get around its CPU woes by allowing their chips to house 'Application specific processors' on die (read ARM, had read an article on anand). So it becomes feasible that AMD could in the future simply turn to ARM to try keep pressure onto Intel. Personally I think AMD will probably break up as they are already very late to the party (alot of ARM vendors fighting on tiny margins).

IF They do have to sell Intel might be able to get what they need in terms of GPU know how by buying the graphics dept. Then things would be very interesting.

Another part of your posts I didn't agree with is the use of tablets and laptops everywhere. I do not think tablets will be very useful in school, the last thing kids need are media devices to waste time on and which cost a bomb to replace; books, writing and notes will remain IMO (I could be wrong on this one) the staple items at school. Also how do you take good notes on a tablet/notebook? I never saw anyone in my lectures trying to write notes with a laptop because certain things need pen and paper.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Any more religious crap and people are going to be spending time out.

4. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I will be glad to be banned from this site where are people like you.
    Hate me as much you want,I didnt speak about religion,but about faith,which are two completely different things.
    And your opinion is c***.And you call yourself a "don".You are far from that.

5. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    with all respect you have no authority to call other peoples belief as c**p...maybe this person is c**p and without a cause with all of what he is saying and out of topic...but it is his personal problem...so back off

6. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    1. I don't like seeing people lose their jobs. If the GPU department is cut, then AMD may stop making drivers for my 5970 earlier :(

2. It's too bad that AMD's doing so poorly; they are the only compitation to Intel/Nvidia

3. Yo people stop talking about religion/faith. By the way, they can have different definitions. Faith can be something that you believe in, but don't have a reason why.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Okay.... that was a really weird response and does not make and sense and no context to MikeDogg and the rest of this thread. You must see that right?

Very, very odd...

8. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Don Tommasino is mafia boss from Godfather!:bang:

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Troll harder.

10. -=WolverinE=-

-=WolverinE=- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu II
    You two need to calm down. No one insulted you or your beliefs. English is not my native language and yet I understood what the hell he said. Let me translate that for you - stop the religious propaganda which has no place in this thread. If you want to discuss your preferences in that area use other means of communication.

11. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    That's because FX absolutely sucks and i5 2500K is meant for extreme overclocking and ONLY extreme overclocking. Everyone who isn't doing extreme OC go with i5 3470, i5 2400, i3 3220, etc.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do you seriously have to knock AMD every chance you get???

And the 2500K isn't made for "extreme" overclocking - it just allows overclocking, since the K versions are the only chips with unlocked multi's.

It's just a way for Intel to charge a premium when all their other CPU's are locked down, it's not like the K's are binned higher...

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Stoping creating posts that make sense. :p

14. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Oh u ppl are so stupid, do u really think that making new CPU is that easy ? "Intel Core" is still using technology from Pentium 4 like Hyper Threading - its basically same technology re made and upgraded many many times for many years now, AMD Phenom core was still basically the same Athlon technology that kicked intel pentium ass once in a while and AMD FX core is completely fresh, a lot of very hard work to be done to optimize "the city" inside it, that's why they are cutting jobs, probably to hire more ultra professionals, when they finish making FX core as fast as it can be - intel will be in trouble just like now they cant match AMD APU core and nvidia cant release new GPU on time. I totally support them, running AMD FX quite some time and i cant remember my PC running so smooth on intels platform. By smooth i mean it doesn't have the celeron syndrome like i had on Core i5 750 when it was busy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  15. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Non-K chips can also be overclocked.

5 GHz may not sound "extreme" to gurus, but it does to regular users.

Back in the day, overclocking was meant to squeeze every single drop of juice from our hardware. For free. Now to most of you kids it's, I don't know, a hobby maybe? Something vital? It's like most of you can't live without OC. Buying a crappy CPU like FX, expensive water cooler and overkill Sabertooth sounds really stupid, TBH.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    HA! You calling me a kid? That's funny.
    I'm prob one of the oldest members on this forum, and most likely a lot older than you.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm just going to quickly address the education part.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. All School funded and given textbooks, notebooks (i.e., - hand written note pages by teachers), etc, are being replaced next year by tablets in my country. This does not mean students don't need to write with a paper or pen, it just saves the school system vasts amounts of money from needing to buy textbooks each year and makes the teachers life easier since he can prepare deeply detailed and even animated lessons.

The student will take the tablets home with them at the end of the day, this is also hoped to breach the financial barrier of some poor students who cannot even afford any kind of computing device for themselves to study with.

Back on AMD: I doubt AMD will sell off their graphics division, it is the only division of their that posted any profit in the last few years.

In regards to the ARM performance, I'll try to see if I can find it, but a website did some JS, etc, tests between a Core Duo and a multi-core ARM (forgot exactly which), the ARM lost by an insignificant amount.

I also heard about the idea of throwing ARM cores onboard the AMD CPU, my only guess is that they intend it to function similar to Tegra 3, with the ARM core "on" when the device is in an idle state or standby.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wait, what...?

I'm not even going to bother with this one.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "Sucks" is a relative term. It's faster than what 98% of people in the world have in their PC's.

And the i5-2500k isn't just for "overclocking", a lot of people bought it for the HD3000 GPU to use with encoding workloads.

20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I didn't call anybody's religion (or 'faith') crap, try learning to read.

This, people need to chill the hell out and find some religion website to discuss such matters, this is not the place.