Anti-Downloading Law Hits Japan, Up To 2 Years in Prison

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i must've posted this image a billion times, so here it goes again lol

[​IMG]

2. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    hahah I love that pic.

Reminds me of the family guy episode featuring 'the communists', where the dad is like "quit stalin and show us your marx".

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You forgot the accompanying classic:

[​IMG]

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Stealing is stealing. I bet those downloader wouldn't walk into a shop and steal the same game.

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    already wrong here, so the foundation of your entire perspective is flawed.

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    You have to donate your left eye and left leg to a starving rook. If you don't have eyes and legs then you have to donate your neck to a nine foot scarecrow with two heads as a spare.

7. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    i hope they will start hanging people for illegal downloading.. how else simple people will understand that something is maybe(lol) wrong with their stupid goverments...

8. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Honestly, prison for this kind of thing is absurd, a man shouldn't be taken from his family for such a thing. At the very least they ought to give the folks a choice to be whipped instead of jail, at least that way they can come to certain realizations.

9. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Bring back the whip ya reckon? Sounds like good entertainment too me. :D

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    That is sarcasm right?

Whipping people because they downloaded something would be ridiculous.

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^You'd think so aye? But if it were me - I'd take the whip over jail time.

I enjoy my freedom to much, and after all it is only pain. Plus you'd have some awesome scares to show off. :whip:

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    two cents:

It is not stealing, it is duplication.

If I were to walk into the recording studio of an artist and steal the master tapes, then yeah; it's stealing.

Copying a file on a computer, no way hoezay.

If a company can prove that I walked into the recording studio and stole the original master file, then I deserve a sentence - if not, I'm no more guilty of anything than someone walking into an art gallery and taking a photograph of the Mona Lisa.

In the same token, the music/movie publisher would have to prove that the copy I have is digitally identical to the version they sell - just like the art gallery would have to prove that the digital data of the photograph is a perfect rendition of the thing that hangs on the wall.

In other words, as pirated material differs from the original to extensive levels (the encoding method used for the file is 1 such argument) then a court would have to prove beyond all resonable doubt, that this is the case; that the original file and the pirated file are identical in every single way, right down the last remaining digital byte of data.

That is unprovable, therefore would have to get chucked out of court.

"Ah", you say, "but it sounds/looks the same", that is upto the court to determine of course, but put an audiophile on the stand (the kind of person with a room full of speakers and a white X on the floor for the perfect way to listen to 'The Wall') and they will easily be able to tell the difference between a copy and an original.

So, the argument will devolve into the differences in peoples ears....a baseless argument.

Laws are never preventative; if they were, the prisons would be empty. Similar to the police preventing crime - if they did, no crimes would be committed.

The police cannot stop me walking into a shopping mall and mowing down people on a saturday shopping trip with an automatic weapon; if they could, they would be pre-cognitive and look like tom cruise.

And in terms of freedom...if you think you are free, I regret to inform you that you are not free, and would welcome that debate in another section of the forums.

tldr: behaviour of human beings denotes they will break the law whenever they want, making all laws advisory, not mandatory.

It's assumptive logic at its worst.

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    100% yes

I was referring to the illusionary freedom we do have. ;)

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    100% No.

If you walk into a recording studio and make a copy of the master tapes, then its stealing as the thing of value isn't the tapes, but what is on them.

As for the court stuff, they don't have to prove any of that, you just think they should have to do that.

As for the laws don't prevent crime, absolute nonsense, what fairytale world do you live in?
    Why do people download stuff instead of stealing it from a shop? Because the chances of getting caught in the shop is high, but online it's very low.

Do you honestly think we live in a world were people don't commit crime because of morals?
    The fear of jail is what keeps people from doing what they want all the time, prison is full of people who thought they wouldn't get caught, but were wrong.

People don't want 100% freedom anyway, as the world would descend into anarchy.

Downloading stuff online is more akin to plagiarism than shoplifting, so in my opinion sending people to jail is clearly wrong, but plagiarism is also considered stealing, and piracy is no different.

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    OK it seems we are getting three different definitions mixed up here (theft/stealing/copyright infringement) so this might clear a few things up.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#114
    ^It wouldn't hurt to read that too.

And:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theft

And:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stealing

And:
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/theft

Take note of the words in "bold" and "underlined" and you can see that it is not exactely "stealing" nor is it "theft" - it is "copyright infringement".

I may have missed something since it is such a grey area, but you get the picture.

16. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I always wondered if downloading episodes would count as piracy? i admit i download it all, from south park to an idiot abroad. I dont see it as piracy, its available on TV! If i forget to record it on Tivo, i always download! Also i pay for rapidshare so hardly is stealing!

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sounds like the exact definition of downloading to me, I doubt anyone has the permission from the owner to download their music/movie/game, I know I certainly haven’t from anything I have downloaded.

Using old definitions from before digital downloads were around is just a way of trying to excuse it, or not liking being branded a thief.

I’ve downloaded/stole a fair amount in my time, and I did/do it because it’s very easy and reasonably low risk.
    I’m getting something for free that other people are paying for, so not once will I try to take the moral high ground about why i’m doing it, or try and sugar coat it and call it anything but what it is.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unlikely, downloading an episode is no different than recording it.

19. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Exactly. So take for example: If you are being streamed copyright content on free to air TV, and then you record it - that falls under the "copyright act".

But the thing is, if stealing (or too steal) is defined as "theft" (and vice versa) - then that defines it as "the physical removal of ones owned property".

Like I said, it's a grey area - but it's neither of those two.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Aww, bless. :D