nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Yeah, thats probably a good idea.

For several reasons:

1) This threads OP is gone
    2) This thread is not so much about nvidia FXAA mode anymore but about shader injectors
    3) Shader injectors are not nvidia specific so the thread so be placed somewhere where everybody will see it

I do like being in the same thread as Minerias FXAAtool because both are shader injectors and share similar problems and features.
    I also like being in a stickied thread.

Where should we place this new thread and what should we name it?
    I'm thinking the Games subforum because pc gamers of both amd and nvidia (intel even) persuasions come there.

@Mineria - Should this new thread be a joint threads for all shader injectors - that is, do you want to move to the same thread?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I was under the impression that my Vibrance did more or less the same as Digital Vibrance .. maybe not in the same way - but the idea is the same.
    Both modify saturation, but digital vibrance does it for everything .. hence why I created the shader.

Don't worry about talking video - it's fine - although if you want we could take the mpc discussion to the Doom9 forums.

3. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I see. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

4. vis

vis Member

Torchlight 2

Any chance sweetfx will be compatible with Torchlight 2? I've tied using it the way I normally would..and no luck.

5. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    The game crashes with SMAA/SweetFX, it's not a problem of main exe place :D

6. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    SMAA (and by extension, SweetFX) work fine with Clear Sky. If you won't take my word for it, I have screenshots as proof here.

Copy dxgi.dll, d3d9.dll and injector.ini to the bin folder and copy everything else to the "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky" folder. It works. tested it again with SweetFX right now.

7. XRyche

XRyche Guest

GPU:
    MSI AMD R7 265 OC 2GB
    Well yes, your vibrance shader and Nvidia's Digital Vibrance both modify saturation but...Nvidia's Digital Vibrance modifies colour separation/contrast as well. Adding contrast modification to your vibrance shader (both in SweetFX and as a MPC shader) will probably make it look even better. Especially in the more colourful games like WOW.

I think keeping this here is okay since it's not strictly deviating from gaming :p . Although posting the video player shaders on Doom9 wouldn't be a bad idea either, once you finalize them, that is.

8. AUTh0r1ty

AUTh0r1ty Guest

GPU:
    nvidia 680
    Should we somewhere create an index of tested games and with which version of SweetFX it was tested?

9. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Not a bad idea. I'm currently maintaining a list of games that needs special attention that will be released with the next version of SweetFX

But having a list of games and any compability problems in the thread is also a good idea.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    SweetFX in Fallout New Vegas looks nice and sharp, however some transparent edges have pixel crawl/shimmering.

It also adds about 15% to my GPU load.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

11. mypc

mypc Guest

In darksiders 2 while using sweetfx gpu load increase like 12 to 15% is this normal

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  12. Shael

Shael Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GT 630 1GB
    Hi, just to add to your list…

It works with:
    • Guild Wars - works but not that noticeable but I'll do another testing when I take screenshots
    • Guild Wars 2 - works great, noticeable - SweetFX 1.1.1. Although it is too bright when you play the game via WINE Linux, but since I haven't bothered playing with the SweetFX options yet, I don't know how to adjust it. It's tolerable in my case too.

Both of these games uses DX9. GW2 has partial support for DX10 and no support for DX11. But there are no settings to choose DX10 for GW2 and ArenaNet said it's defaulting to DX9.

I'll post a screenshot sometime this week, currently using mobile internet and it's intermittent :(

I also tested it with:
    • Combat Arms - it works, but Nexon NA's detector will kick you after it detects it (tested using SweetFX 0.4 beta)
    • Dragon Nest - it works, at least the AA, and makes the image crisp and clearer. But DN's graphics design/style/art doesn't fit with the changes - tested with SweetFX 0.4 beta
    • Vindictus - it works too, however the sky changes to a gloomy effect like it is going to rain or there's a storm - other than that I haven't noticed anything - tested using SweetFX 0.4 beta

I'm not an expert with determining what's good and what's not and/or what exactly is "working" or not. My definition of "working" is if it shows changes to the graphics of the game, and if the changes looks good to me (and I like things clearer and not blurred).

Now as far as getting banned, since these are online games, nope, all my accounts are still alive and very much active.

Last but not the least, thank you very much for SweetFX ^_^ Keeps the games easy on my eyes.

13. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Uhm.

Really strange, must discover why it isn't working for me!

EDIT: yes, you're right! Now it's working!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  14. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    I've been using sweetfx on almost every game i've installed. I've got to say that i haven't experienced any abnormal issue, the only was with 1.1 (dx10 render error, solved on 1.1.1)
    list of games i tried succesfuly
    -ac revelations
    -battlefield 3 (i don't like how it looks, and performance impact but it works)
    -bf2 (need to disable msaa)
    -black mesa (need to disable msaa)
    -borderlands 1 & 2 ( b2 vanilla looks really blurry, sweetfx it's made for this game, vibrance is vital)
    -darksiders 1 & 2
    -devil may cry 3
    -all mass effect
    -transformer fall of cybertron
    -unreal, ut (this two with a d3d10 render) ut 2004 & ut3

you have done an excellent work. what are you developing right now for the next release?

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just make one for SweetFX only, since it seems to be a further development of the other existing injectors.
    Is the project uploaded to some sort of version control, SVN, Mercurial, GitHub or alike?

16. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Sort of.

To keep it real simple, easy and automatic I use dropbox.

It automatically backs up the files, distributes them to my other computers and keeps copies of earlier versions of the files. Most people don't know about this last feature - to access earlier versions of files, use the dropbox.com web version and rightclick on the file you want to see earlier versions for and choose the previous versions option.

I maintain branches simply by giving each a directory.

I currently have the following development branches :
    SweetFX development
    DSfix development

and the archived releases:
    SweetFX 1.0
    SweetFX 1.1
    SweetFX 1.1.1

I also share the releases with a group of friends through a shared dropbox folder.

Would you like access to the development folders?

My dropbox referral link is http://db.tt/FS0Bf2W if anyone wants their Dropbox with 500mb bonus from my referral link.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  17. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Have you tried tweaking the settings for the games where you don't like the look?.

For the next version I'm working on improving the shaders I adopted from FXAAtool as well as putting in the preset hotkey solution that I promised (a few pages back) I'd look into.
    I'm having limited success optimizing the shaders - Tonemap and Technicolor are a little faster now, but depite many attempts this past week I just can't seem to make any progress with the bloom shader. I've tried to get it to move many of it's calculations out of the inner loops and precalculate whenever possible, but it seems the compiler had already thought of those optimizations and done them, so my changes to the code made no improvement to the performance.
    I've also tried to cut some math code simply to check if the speed changes and it doesn't .. the bloom shader (and HDR too btw) are severely botlenecked by the many texture lookup they make, so even if I could optimize the math, the shader would still have to wait for the lookups to finish and there would be no change in performance.

It's getting quite frustrating so I've given up on optimizing the current bloom shader. I need to code a new better bloom shader from scratch if I want improvement and I need time to design one that works well, yet still run at an acceptable speed (currently the bloom and HDR shaders are clearly the slowest shaders in the entire suite).
    I think I'll postpone that for a later version.

Currently my roadmap is:
    1.2 - More performance, hotkeyed presets and a fix to dither

1.3 - Experiment with different s-curve adjustments to brightness to get richer black and stronger whites. I did early work on this with limited success some months ago and tested it in Assassins Creed : Revelations because I felt that game had a washed out look. I want to improve on that and make it work well for a large number of games.

1.4 Different simple ways of adjusting the color of a scene. I'm thinking White balance and split toning.

Future: Advanced color grading .. I'm looking into way to adjust the colors using splines, but currently it looks like it would run quite slow and be hard to understand and tweak for most users. The easy and fast way to do color grading would be to load a texture and use it as lookup table which is what ENBseries does, but since the InjectSMAA injector does not allow me to do that, I'm forced to look at other options.

A better faster bloom shader.

I'm also hoping to improve LumaSharpen by using a curve function to determine the sharpening strength and I also want to try out sharpening against the median instead of the average of the surrounding pixels, to hopefully avoid sharpening noise and lessen sharpening greatly on harsh edges, such as the ones that SMAA antialiases - hopefully this will make LumaSharpen stop messing with the smoothness of the anti-aliased lines.

Again try to tweak your settings to improve the look on the games where the default settings don't look great to you.

For Guild Wars I've noticed that you need to turn off in-game antialiasing.

For Wine , show me a screenshot of how it looks. A washed out bright look might be because it's not doing gamma correction correctly in some step. I might be able to compensate for that.

Running extra shaders on your GPU does in fact increase the GPU load.
    How much is increases is entirely dependent on your graphic card, resolution and the shaders you enable in SweetFX and their settings.

If your GPU already run the game with a very high GPU that means that your framerate is bottlenecked by the speed of your GPU and adding more load to it with SweetFX will decrease your framerate.
    If your GPU is not being fully utilized by your game that means that the game is bottlenecked by the CPU and adding more GPU load with SweetFX will not decrease your framerate.

So yes, an increased GPU load is normal.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  18. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Okay I've made a new separate thread for SweetFX here in the games subforum

Please discuss SweetFX and share your settings, screenshots, videos , etc there

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    WTH

I've seen SMAA actually screwing up certain parts of my already decent looking 4xMSAA + 4xTrSS in Mirror's Edge.
    Just a note not to take everything as granted ^^

20. METAVISOR

METAVISOR Member

GPU:
    R7850 MSI Twin Frozer /oc
    Hi,im using sweetFX with arma2,but the sky is flickering ...any fix?
    thanks.