Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything ForceWare driver related. ForceWare (Detonator) drivers are for NVIDIA TNT, Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#751)
meds
Master Guru

Videocard: .
Processor: .
Mainboard: .
Memory: .
Soundcard: .
PSU: .
Default 08-08-2012, 23:06 | posts: 377

I hate FXAA as it makes textures far worse and most games already have lousy textures thanks to the console market not moving to the PS4/X720.

Old
  (#752)
yosef019
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX770 4gb @1250mhz
Processor: i5 3570k 4.6 1.2v NH-D14
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: 8GB 2133 ARES CL9 2T
Soundcard: SB Recon3D Pro Fatality
PSU: Crosair 860i
Default 08-10-2012, 11:58 | posts: 1,761 | Location: Israel - Haifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay.dk View Post
Here is InjectSMAAmod Version 0.3

Changelog:
"..simplifies the installation, by making d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll load different .fx files so they can coexist in the same directory.
You no longer need to find out what DirectX version you need to use, just copy the all files and the game will load the correct one."

The next release of what I'm now calling CeeJays SweetFX Shader Suite will also include this improvement.
what beter this or this with shaderfx 0.3beta

Old
  (#753)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Videocard: Radeon 6870
Processor: Intel Q6600
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR2 4GB
Soundcard: Realtek HD onboard
PSU: Corsair 450VX
Default 08-10-2012, 16:16 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosef019 View Post
what beter this or this with shaderfx 0.3beta
ShaderFX (to be named SweetFx in the next release) is InjectSMAAmod + additional optional effects.

So SweetFX is better if you want additional effects.

I personally play with SMAA and LumaSharpen turned on, because this gives me smooth edges and sharper details.
I don't normally use tonemapping, technicolor etc that much because it takes time to tweak a games colors to perfection and I spend my time divided between work, gaming and development on SweetFX, but I know that others use these options for manipulating the colors a lot.

Old
  (#754)
draegunstrife
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 Classified
Processor: Intel 4770K
Mainboard: Asrock Fatality Killer
Memory: 16GB Mushkin
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: 1000w Gold
Default 08-14-2012, 10:19 | posts: 65

hehehe

Waitin on that Sweetfx

how far along is it?

Old
  (#755)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-14-2012, 23:30 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by draegunstrife View Post
hehehe

Waitin on that Sweetfx

how far along is it?
Well the beta that is out now is working for dx9 - use that.

The next beta will add the ability to turn SMAA off, though right now I'm puzzled that turning it off doesn't seem to return the performance to the levels that I saw with the separate LumaSharpen mod.

I'm guessing that the SMAA injector still does all the texture work required for SMAA to work, and there is no way to turn that off.

I may decide to do another version based on the simpler FXAA injector because it will run faster if you don't want anti-aliasing (or if you want FXAA antialiasing)

But before that, I think I'll port SweetFX to DX10 and call it SweetFX 1.0 - then rest, and try to improve on the shaders included and perhaps add a few more.

I want to try a curve function for limiting the strength of lumasharpen based on how strong the contrast the surrounding pixels are and limit the sharpening for pixels that already have a lot of contrast to avoid oversharpening those areas. It should also help reduce halo artifacts.

I also want to try basing the sharpening on a median of the surrounding pixels rather than a weighted average as I do now, because it should make the sharpening more subtle and should avoid halo artifacts. It might be slow though - doing a median on the values is a lot more work than just taking the average, but I think I can keep it fast enough with a few tricks.

The vignette needs improvement and I want to study how a real vignette looks on shots from movie and photo cameras, and also make it possible to do more types of vignettes than just an oval darkening border around the image.

I also want to do dithering, of both the vignette (because it currently adds banding artifacts) and maybe even of the entire image.

Last edited by CeeJay.dk; 08-16-2012 at 18:45.

Old
  (#756)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-17-2012, 00:45 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

I'm still working on porting SweetFX to DX10, but here is SweetFX 0.4 beta for DX9

SMAA can now be turned off, but as I said before you don't gain as much performance from this as I had hoped because the injector still does most of the work required for SMAA.

I have reworked the vignette so it's effect is now circular instead of an oval that depended on your screen resolution. Previously if you f.x had a screen with a 16:9 width to height ratio, then the vignette had a 16:9 ratio too. Now it always has a 1:1 ratio so it's circular and not oval.
Real vignettes from camera lenses are circular because lenses are circular - no matter what format your sensor or film uses. The vignette shader now mimics that.
I may put oval and other shapes of vignettes back in later with a setting so you can choose which shape you want, but for now it's circular.

I have also tweaked it to have a steeper fall-off so the middle of the screen stays less affected and then the effect increases faster the nearer it gets to the edge.
This looks better IMO and has the nice side-effect of making the banding artifacts much less noticeable.

I made other minor changes to the code of SweetFX but none that should affect how the effects work.

For example the settings files are now in the same directory as the game exe and the injector dlls, because I found it to be more work to start a game in one directory and then go to another directory and tweak the settings.
Normally this would not be a problem because most people I think just set the settings they like once per game and then play it, but I constantly make small changes to the code and the settings when I'm developing and so changing between directories all the time was annoying.

That port to DX10 is going OK, but I can't say when it will be done.
I have also tried to make the anti-aliased edges stay smoother when I enable lumasharpen, but so far I'm finding it tricky. I have ideas for some different approaches I could try though, so it's not like I'm stuck.

Last edited by CeeJay.dk; 08-17-2012 at 00:52.

Old
  (#757)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 08-17-2012, 16:06 | posts: 8,512 | Location: Urban`Jungle

I tried new SMAA 2.7
http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/#downloads

hooked it up with old smaa injector 1.2 and yes it works, but IQ can be a bit so so.. I tested in monster Hunter frontier benchmark - main menu and its mostly by letters (fuzzy fonts).. default SMAA 1.2 injector showed it normally.. Idk im thinking its luma/green alpha issue.

Could you CeeJay.Dk check what could be the issue? Im not so familiar with those math paragraphs

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2qptjj...d5/SMAA_2.7.7z

Old
  (#758)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-17-2012, 17:28 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tj- View Post
I tried new SMAA 2.7
http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/#downloads

hooked it up with old smaa injector 1.2 and yes it works, but IQ can be a bit so so.. I tested in monster Hunter frontier benchmark - main menu and its mostly by letters (fuzzy fonts).. default SMAA 1.2 injector showed it normally.. Idk im thinking its luma/green alpha issue.

Could you CeeJay.Dk check what could be the issue? Im not so familiar with those math paragraphs

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2qptjj...d5/SMAA_2.7.7z
The issue is that you're not using the textures that 2.7 needs, but are using the textures meant for 2.6.

You can't change the textures though, because they are not external files but are built into the injector dll. So without source code, they cannot be changed (well maybe if you can disassemble the dll - I can't).

But 2.7 is not the SMAA update you're looking for , move along..
This is because the update to 2.7 added S2x and 4x support, and neither of these modes can be used with the injector - they require application/game support.

AFAIK there were no other changes or improvements.

Old
  (#759)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB HyperX Beast 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty, Wharfedale
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 08-17-2012, 17:34 | posts: 24,502 | Location: NZ

So what should I use if the game doesn't support S2x and 4x (whatever they are). Any ideas?

I play FO:NV, Shogun II, Mass Effect. Skyrim etc etc

Old
  (#760)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 08-17-2012, 17:44 | posts: 8,512 | Location: Urban`Jungle

^
Well not with "my combined injection tool", it will act the same as SMAA 1.2 with basic SMAA technique, sometimes it may cause small anomalies - fuzzy text. Although ingame looked fine, in fact it was a bit more anti aliased compared to 1.2

I tested both in Monster Hunter Frontier 3 benchmark - I was comparing distant mountains aliasing (at the beginning).

Quote:
The issue is that you're not using the textures
that 2.7 needs, but are using the textures meant for 2.6.

You can't change the textures though, because they are not external files but are built into the injector dll. So without source code, they cannot be changed (well maybe if you can disassemble the dll - I can't).

But 2.7 is not the SMAA update you're looking for , move along..
This is because the update to 2.7 added S2x and 4x support, and neither of these modes can be used with the injector - they require application/game support.

AFAIK there were no other changes or improvements.
I see, yeah I kinda knew its gonna be something like that.

lol the moment I merged the files I thought, so where can I activate this 2x, 4x thingy.. *moves along*

Thanks for explaining

Last edited by -Tj-; 08-17-2012 at 18:47. Reason: grammar.

Old
  (#761)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-17-2012, 18:53 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

I'll explain.
SMAA has 4 modes it can be used in:

1x, T2x, S2x and 4x

1x is the fastest but lowest quality version and 4x is the highest. T2x and S2x are about the same qualitywise, but T2x is much faster than S2x.

They are named after how many samples they use and how they acquire them.

1x takes 1 sample per pixel, from the center of the pixel - this is the version the injector uses.

T2x takes 2 "temporal" samples - 1 sample per pixel for each frame, but it uses the sample from the previous frame and every frame it moves the sample slightly off-center and then it corrects for movement and blends the two temporal samples into one so you get twice the resolution but still only take 1 sample per frame. Very clever. Takes about 130% of the time that 1x takes, but has twice the resolution.

S2x takes 2 "spatial" samples - 2 samples each frame, both samples moved slightly off-center and blended, but it doesn't use information from the previous frame as T2x does. Takes twice the samples each frame so it takes about 200% of the time 1x takes, but has twice the resolution.

4x combines T2x and S2x, and takes 2 spatial samples each frame and uses the information from the previous frame too, to give 4x the resolution in about 230% of the time 1x takes.

T2X, S2x and 4x are all awesome, but require the application to support them, otherwise it can't move the samples or provide the velocity vectors needed to correct for motion blur.

The injector can only use the image of the scene as the game rendered it - it cannot move the samples and it cannot read the velocity vectors that tells it how the new image have moved in relation to the previous and so the only mode that will work with the injector is SMAA 1x.

Hopefully more games will implement SMAA T2x, S2x and 4x in the future.

Read the SMAA documentation, whitepapers and see the video to learn more about the difference between the different SMAA modes.

Old
  (#762)
TFL Replica
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3
Memory: 2x4GB G.Skill 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
PSU: PCP&C Silencer 750w
Default 08-17-2012, 22:07 | posts: 374

Interesting, thanks for the in-depth explanation.

Old
  (#763)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-19-2012, 20:56 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Good news everyone!

Here is SweetFX 1.0

New:
  • DirectX10/11 support! (SMAA can't be switched off yet in the DX10/11 version)
    Like with InjectSMAAmod (which SweetFX can now completely replace) you do not need to decide what version you need to use. Just copy all the files into the game folder and the game will load the correct one.
  • Changes and improvements to the Sepia, Tonemap and Vignette shaders.
  • Tweaks to the default settings of SMAA, HDR, Sepia, Tonemap and Vignette.
  • New setting for Vignette - VignetteSlope. It determines the distance from the center to when the vignette starts fading to black. You need to balance the VignetteRadius setting with this setting. Typically when you increase VignetteSlope you need to decrease VignetteRadius.
  • New shader effect - Vibrance. It should work like Digital Vibrance in your drivers settings and increase the saturation more for colors that are weak and less for colors that are already strong. It needs more work though. Currently I think it increases saturation for weak colors and decreases it for strong colors. It's still a nice effect - it's just not what I was trying to achieve. Bug or feature? - you decide.
  • Different keymapping. INSERT now toggles SweetFX ON and OFF and DELETE reloads the shader files. Using the pause button was annoying in some games because it also paused the game - Insert should not do that. Few games use the Insert button so I doub't it will cause any conflicts.
    Using delete to reload the shader files is very useful when tweaking a game running in windowed mode. It makes tweaking much easier. I've updated the tweaking instructions in the SweetFX_readme with a new guide on how to easily tweak your settings.
    The injector.ini file now also includes a link to a webpage listing all the keycodes so you don't have to guess should you wish to remap your keys.

Shortcomings of SweetFX 1.0:
  • SMAA can't be turned off in DX10/11 (most people will want this on, so it's not a big problem)
  • LumaSharpen still sharpens the anti-aliased edges. Edges are still smoother than without anti-aliasing but if you want absolutely smooth edges try turning LumaSharpen off. I hope to fix this soonish but no promises - It'll be done when it's done.
  • The new Vibrance effect doesn't work quite as intended.
  • I haven't had time to try and optimize the shaders for speed, but now that most things more or less work I might take some time to do that. Again no promises.

Last edited by CeeJay.dk; 08-19-2012 at 21:21.

Old
  (#764)
wisebear

Videocard: GTX 660 2GB
Processor: i5 4670k - 4,4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G43
Memory: DDR3 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: -
Default 08-19-2012, 21:03 | posts: 4

Thanks CJ, very good news indeed!

Old
  (#765)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-19-2012, 21:19 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Thankyou Wisebear.

Old
  (#766)
mypc
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus GTS 250
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Mainboard: Asus P5G41t-MLX
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: 500 watt
Default 08-19-2012, 22:12 | posts: 198

thanks dude now we can play with smaa

Old
  (#767)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-19-2012, 22:13 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypc View Post
thanks dude now we can play with smaa
Well you could do that before with the earlier beta versions too - but now you can do it in DX10/11 !

Old
  (#768)
Bat_Zonko
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 OC
Processor: I7-2600k
Mainboard: ASRocks Z68 Pro3-M
Memory: 16Gs
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium PCIe
PSU: Corsair 750w
Default 08-19-2012, 22:23 | posts: 87

Cool beans. Time to try out the the Vibrance with Fallout NV.

Nice work CeeJay!

Bat

Old
  (#769)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-19-2012, 22:41 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat_Zonko View Post
Cool beans. Time to try out the the Vibrance with Fallout NV.

Nice work CeeJay!

Bat
Remember that you can also switch on a working digital vibrance from the Nvidia control panel and if I recall correctly also from AMD's CCC.
But it's a system setting and I know of no way to enable it per game - Which is why I made this shader.

Old
  (#770)
Bat_Zonko
Member Guru

Default 08-19-2012, 23:15 | posts: 87

Quote:
Remember that you can also switch on a working digital vibrance from the Nvidia control panel and if I recall correctly also from AMD's CCC.
But it's a system setting and I know of no way to enable it per game - Which is why I made this shader.
That' the first thing I do when I re-install/install drivers. I reset and tune the vibrance, gamma, brightness, and contrast via CCC and Window's internal settings.

The per-game color/gamma tweaking that the FXAA Injector allowed was one of the main reasons I used the program. Like you said, I can brute force a setting that looks great for work and browing as a whole via the CCC, but that overall setting doesn't quite work for certain games. The ability to tweak it without resetting you overall settings via that tool, and now with SweetFX, is awesome.

Anyways, I like the Vibrance shader. It does a lot to help balance out the washed-out effect the Technicolor application can cause. It does effect overlay text somewhat, but nothing bad like overdone FXAA or AMD's horribad MLAA.

A little bit of Vib, some Technicolor, a dash of Tonemapping, with the LumaSharpen, and Fallout NV has a much, much richer pallette.

Works and looks real good. Nice job.

Bats

Old
  (#771)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-20-2012, 00:55 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

For Fallout New Vegas try The Imaginator and the other mods for the Directors Chair

They worked well for me when I was playing New Vegas.

Old
  (#772)
Bat_Zonko
Member Guru

Default 08-20-2012, 06:19 | posts: 87

Quote:
For Fallout New Vegas try The Imaginator and the other mods for the Directors Chair

They worked well for me when I was playing New Vegas.
I had forgot all about them.. DOH! I tried them way back when I first got FNV and they destroyed my little old 5770. Might have to re-try them and see how much time I can *not* play the game and instead fiddle around their settings instead.

I already spent at least 2x the time editing armor sets, textures, and mashing mods together then actually playing the game. Still, in-game fiddling with the color sets would be nice

Bats

Old
  (#773)
streakpt
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS 7970 3GB Xfire
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Foxconn Bloodrage GTI
Memory: 6GB Crucial Ballistix T.
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD/SS5hV2
PSU: Corsair HX Modular 1000w
Default 08-20-2012, 15:45 | posts: 262 | Location: Portugal

Is this working with BF3? I tried it out and it didn't work for me.

Old
  (#774)
spajdrik
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI Geforce 770 TF 2GD5
Processor: Intel i5-4670K
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax NAXN 500W
Default 08-20-2012, 16:47 | posts: 1,114 | Location: Czech Republic

Different keymapping. INSERT now toggles SweetFX ON and OFF and DELETE reloads the shader files..

well im pressing insert or delete, but nothing happens, its still ON only.

EDIT.: hmm perhaps its because Rift is actually not only DX9, then it would make sense it cant be switched OFF.

Last edited by spajdrik; 08-20-2012 at 17:20.

Old
  (#775)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 08-20-2012, 19:30 | posts: 659 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdrik View Post
Different keymapping. INSERT now toggles SweetFX ON and OFF and DELETE reloads the shader files..

well im pressing insert or delete, but nothing happens, its still ON only.

EDIT.: hmm perhaps its because Rift is actually not only DX9, then it would make sense it cant be switched OFF.
No, you should be able to turn all the effects on and off in both DX9 and DX10/11 - It's just that you can't disable SMAA currently in the settings of the DX10 version and still use the other effects.

For DX10 it's either SMAA on or everything off.

In some games you need to hold down the right button a little longer, because it doesn't always register the button if you tap it quickly.
Or perhaps you need to press it again. I know that for me, in NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010) the button doesn't always take, so i have to try again sometimes.

If that doesn't work try changing the key back to PAUSE in injector.ini.
It should be obvious how to do so, but if it isn't write again and I'll write a little tutorial.

Tags
fxaa, nvidia, smaa, sweetfx