Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Processors and motherboards AMD
Processors and motherboards AMD Got a Phenom based system or the means to buy one? You can discuss it in here!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#26)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-07-2012, 23:08 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
man what is it with you guys in here. the OP asked for opinion on what to do and this thread turns to Intel vs amd. Glad to know that the 920 is still working mate.
Every thread involving Bulldozer to any extent turns into Intel vs AMD....

Opinions should have some basis in facts. However, some on this forum favor Intel/nVidia far too much and throw out accusations if anything is posted that shows AMD to be competitive at anything....


   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#27)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-07-2012, 23:19 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

if you have to buy a new m/b in order to get an 8150, thats not a wise decision. you can buy a much all around better cpu in the 2500k or the IB variant and m/b for the same money as a 8150 and m/b. now if you want to pop in one with your current m/b thats a different story. for a gaming rig I would go the intel route as BD is an awful gaming cpu. you would have to oc that 8150 to 4.5ghz to match a thuban at 4ghz
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#28)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-07-2012, 23:43 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
if you have to buy a new m/b in order to get an 8150, thats not a wise decision. you can buy a much all around better cpu in the 2500k or the IB variant and m/b for the same money as a 8150 and m/b. now if you want to pop in one with your current m/b thats a different story. for a gaming rig I would go the intel route as BD is an awful gaming cpu. you would have to oc that 8150 to 4.5ghz to match a thuban at 4ghz
What's best is all based on usage. With GPU bound games, for the most part any processor will work with a single GPU so long as it's fast enough to feed the chosen GPU. For CPU bound games where IPC makes a noticable difference, of course Intel will have an advantage. With encoding/transcoding software....some will favor Intel, some favor AMD. Pick the processor that your chosen software favors. The rest is all conditional. If all you're doing it encoding/transcoding and have a BD compatible motherboard....there's no reason to jump platforms. If you require a new motherboard, there's no reason not to at least consider an i7 2600K. Neither Intel nor AMD are exactly a bad choice.....but depending on the actual usage, one will be a better choice.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#29)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-07-2012, 23:53 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

the op want a cpu for gaming ,encoding, and internet with some professional apps. judging buy his 920@4.0ghz what would you say is his best option? amd or intel?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#30)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-08-2012, 00:05 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
the op want a cpu for gaming ,encoding, and internet with some professional apps. judging buy his 920@4.0ghz what would you say is his best option? amd or intel?
His best option is to find a new motherboard for his i7 920 as that's likely to be the most cost effective option. If it turns out a new motherboard costs more than $230 AUD....AMD would be the better option if he really is short on money (which is another thing most on this forum seem to ignore these days, which is why you get PM's when I'm looking at upgrades...lol). If money is an issue, $230AUD is cheaper than $420AUD regardless of the performance difference.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#31)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-08-2012, 00:18 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

the guys used to a 920 at 4ghz, if he bought BD he would only the same performance on a few gpu heavy (limited) like crysis or metro,bf3. this is what he would get with cpu limited titles, doubt he would be happy.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/t...x8150-tested/8
remember we are here to help the OP who has been running an i7 920 @4.0ghz.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#32)
IcE
Ancient Guru
 
IcE's Avatar
 
Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 05-08-2012, 00:50 | posts: 8,845 | Location: The Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
the guys used to a 920 at 4ghz, if he bought BD he would only the same performance on a few gpu heavy (limited) like crysis or metro,bf3. this is what he would get with cpu limited titles, doubt he would be happy.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/t...x8150-tested/8
remember we are here to help the OP who has been running an i7 920 @4.0ghz.
This is what I've been trying to say, BD is simply stupid to purchase for any reason, unless you already have an AM3+ board. It gets roflstomped in gaming and barely wins in the scenarios it was designed for.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#33)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-08-2012, 01:11 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
the guys used to a 920 at 4ghz, if he bought BD he would only the same performance on a few gpu heavy (limited) like crysis or metro,bf3. this is what he would get with cpu limited titles, doubt he would be happy.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/t...x8150-tested/8
remember we are here to help the OP who has been running an i7 920 @4.0ghz.
If money is tight, he's better off with some money left in his pocket than the fastest computer he can possibly build. That would be the most responsible recommendation.

In 2001 I was forced to go from an AthlonXP 2000 to a Celeron 1.3ghz. In 2005, I was forced to go from an Athlon64 3200+ to a Pentium4 2.4ghz. I know what it's like to, more or less, go backwards.... It's not exactly enjoyable, but it's better than not having a computer at all....and if money is an issue, cheaper is usually the better option.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#34)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-08-2012, 01:21 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

an 8150 and m/b vs a 2500k and m/b would be about the same money. I can only recommend going intel in this particular situation. If I could only afford BD, I would find a new hobby as I wouldnt enjoy this one to my liking anymore. especially with dual 580`s
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/12
and his cpu crapped out too.

Last edited by ---TK---; 05-08-2012 at 01:27.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#35)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-08-2012, 01:59 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
an 8150 and m/b vs a 2500k and m/b would be about the same money. I can only recommend going intel in this particular situation. If I could only afford BD, I would find a new hobby as I wouldnt enjoy this one to my liking anymore. especially with dual 580`s
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-690-review/12
and his cpu crapped out too.
We all have different financial conditions. I build the fastest computers I can afford. If that means I have to skip 1 or 2 generations before I upgrade, oh well. My computer comes second to everything. If my computer fails, it only gets fixed if it doesn't impact my family financially....which is how it should be.

The OP listed his options as an FX-6100+mobo for $230AUD or an i5 2600K+mobo for $420AUD. That's $190AUD difference in price...and depending on how tight money really is, that could be a significant difference.

Remember, not everyone is in a position to set their own budget. Some of us are actually limited by our income.

BTW, Post #18 says otherwise for his i7 920...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mouse View Post
Thanks for the help guys.
I might have lucked out, I left the mobo & CPU with my mate and after lots of messing around with it last night he said he managed to get the CPU to boot on his board.
He is running through testing it with Prime & my RAM sticks to make sure it's not damaged.
If it turns out to be working OK i'll try and pick up a new mobo, if not i'll wait and get the 2500K.
His friend has it running and is testing it for him.


   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#36)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-08-2012, 02:10 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
We all have different financial conditions. I build the fastest computers I can afford. If that means I have to skip 1 or 2 generations before I upgrade, oh well. My computer comes second to everything. If my computer fails, it only gets fixed if it doesn't impact my family financially....which is how it should be.

The OP listed his options as an FX-6100+mobo for $230AUD or an i5 2600K+mobo for $420AUD. That's $190AUD difference in price...and depending on how tight money really is, that could be a significant difference.

Remember, not everyone is in a position to set their own budget. Some of us are actually limited by our income.

BTW, Post #18 says otherwise for his i7 920...



His friend has it running and is testing it for him.
thats even worse than an 8150. he did mention the 2500k so it would still be in his budget. Ill see if I can find some godawful fx6100 benchmarks and post em here.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#37)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA GTX660SC SLI
Processor: Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D PCIe
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze
Default 05-08-2012, 02:13 | posts: 16,063 | Location: US East Coast

You're still completely missing the big picture....


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#38)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 05-08-2012, 02:16 | posts: 17,825 | Location: New Jersey, USA

nah, the i5 2500k is in his price range. I hope he can get his i7 920 rig together, that would be cheaper and WAY better than an fx6100.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#39)
d_mouse
Maha Guru
 
d_mouse's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 @ 1180/1575
Processor: FX 6300
Mainboard: Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2
Memory: 8GB GSkill 1866
Soundcard: Auzen 7.1 X-Plosion
PSU: Corsair HX 850
Default 05-08-2012, 06:21 | posts: 931 | Location: Land Down Under

Wow this got a bit out of scope, but thanks for the help guys.
My Friend has been testing the CPU for me and it's looking good so far.
He did a bit over 8 hours @ stock in Prime for me over night with no issues and before he left for work this morning he set it up @ 4Ghz running prime. If it's all good later tonight / tomorrow morning I'll try and pick up a second hand motherboard (managed to find a used ASUS P6T for about $100)
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#40)
deltatux
Ancient Guru
 
deltatux's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 05-08-2012, 06:36 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mouse View Post
Wow this got a bit out of scope, but thanks for the help guys.
My Friend has been testing the CPU for me and it's looking good so far.
He did a bit over 8 hours @ stock in Prime for me over night with no issues and before he left for work this morning he set it up @ 4Ghz running prime. If it's all good later tonight / tomorrow morning I'll try and pick up a second hand motherboard (managed to find a used ASUS P6T for about $100)
Good idea. Great to see that you have a new cost effective solution.

deltatux
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.