Are you going ivy? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, May 3, 2012.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Maybe not in this thread, I was making a broader generalization - as it's certainly evident across most forums I frequent and discussions I've read. There's a strong misconception out there with many that Ivy = Hot so it's automatically worse than Sandy. Often times the people coming out with such things are sat with minor OC's.

Of course if you intend to run a higher OC it's going to be a problem. But then upgrading to Ivy from Sandy seems utterly pointless to me in pretty much all scenarios. In some cases (such as you've stated) it may even result in a downgrade.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah you had a c2,so you got the newest chip i dont blame ya.
    honestly its hard to beat a sb chip in oc to temp ratio thuo

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    hey cowie you gettin a 690?

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    I went Ivy because i considered an upgrade of my i7 920. But really if you got Core2Duo or something like that or AMD Athlon x2 then this upgrade is worth it.

I am forced for a few weeks to use the integrated IGP - intel hd 4000.
    One of the questions i see here a lot is: "Will it run Crysis?" Well I can tell you that indeed, it CAN run Crysis on low settings, and it does not even stutter on those, maybe sometimes in heavy deep jungle maps (I play MechWarrior: Living Legends).

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would still like to know about the whole i7-3770k vs i5-3570K argument. Like I have said in other threads I have no idea which one is actually better! there doesn't seem to be a consistency between the reviews. Some show the i7-3770K to be noticeably better than the i5-3570K (by noticeably I mean just that, not that its different in a large sense), and others show the i7-3770K performing basically the same especially if you take into account clock speed.

6. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    its simple, i5 does not have HT, i7 has. performance is limited to application's multicore support!

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I kinda do and don't; I check inside to see if the gfx card is clogged up (now) and whether there are any large clumps of dust I can remove, but generally don't check inside more than once every 3 months unless it starts spluttering.

PC's are pretty robust tech. All this cleaning is pretty unnecessary imo and don't get me wrong, I do think it's nice to have a clean rig, but mostly it won't make a difference.

Anyway, going liquid cooled for new IB, so w/e.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Oh I know that :) but doesn't i7 also have 2MB extra L2 cache?

9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    maybe not enough to create a significant boost in performance score numbers

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I do a lot of video encoding using staxrip, x264 etc (with over the top quality settings like subme 10, 24 search range, ME UMH etc, so I'm guessing the i7 would provide an advantage. A lot of the benchmarks either use old versions of x264, or programs that have other limiting factors such as the speed of the inbuilt filters etc.

Basically, I want to know in realistic terms the benefit to me of an i7-3770K vs i5-3570K, and whether its worth the 50 percent price premium (which I think should be closer to 20 percent even if Intel were still profiteering). Its difficult to tell by the reviews due to the great variation between reviews.

I should also point out I run two occurrences of Staxrip concurrently to maximise CPU use on my Q9400. At low priority even though it makes for task manager to show 100 percent, and the combined framerate of encoding higher, it doesn't really slow down the system. I was playing MW3 for a several hours before I remembered I was encoding! (basically MW3 and priorities etc meant encoding was very limited in speed)...

What I am saying is due to the multiple encoding instances thread utilisation isn't a concern. Its probably the limiting factor in the reviews of i5 vs i7, as I can guess that there is a higher utilisation percentage wise on the i5 than the i7... But then it comes back to the cpu utilisation question, isn't 100 percent CPU use (effectively) on the i5 basically the same as 100 percent utilisation on the i7, performance wise? since you are maxing out the threads on both, and the idea of HT is to maximise CPU usage with multithreaded apps?

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I guess you can see why I'm asking - its a complex decision without knowing what benefits each provides!

If the i7 performs in the above situation and games practically the same as an i5, I would rather spend that money on better other components.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ^then get a non ht i5
    Hell no i want one of those dcII or lightnings

12. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Nope not getting IB, happy with my SB i5 2400 :thumbup:

13. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Cowie, I couldn't get my 3570K to POST 4.4Ghz on 1.2V, ended up just making a jump straight to 1.275V, and it's rock stable, though I think I'm going to spend some time either tonight or tomorrow dialing down my voltage. Real Temps is giving me ~75C average while under load in Prime95.

14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Newegg isn't the only one jacking up the price $32, Amazon, and Tigerdirect have as well. Honestly, if I feel the need for Ivy Bridge, I'll wait for a revision and price drop.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I got mine from Newegg for $325 bucks. It said 400 with a slash through it and final cost was $325.

I'm very happy with this purchase.

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well it matters how you set your llc also,too much vdroop and it will crash under load.
    But thats an ok start just keep it cool and remember a few mgz does not make a DIFFERANCE if it gets too hot or uses alot a voltage to do it.

17. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Yeah, I have my previous E 8400 overclocked too, but that's with changing the BCLK. I don't have much experience with tinkering to reduce vdroop and seting my llc.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    E8400 didn't have a bclk.... it had a FSB frequency.

19. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    Oops, that's what I meant.

20. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I am getting a Z77 board. and maybe a ivy cpu upgrade. just getting the z77 if i change my mind.

Well I think a reason is it is easier to run faster memory on IB.

SB was max 2133 i think and now IB 2800

If you like high memory speeds go for it. But you wont notice any difference. I always go by the rule better having too much than not enough

I think high memory speeds and lower latencies for the memory will benefit MVPVirtu not sure though. It's the same as overclocking our memory clocks of our GPUs that is a reason why I would get Ivy. I am just going to experiment though. these are just assumptions