Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Network questions and troubleshooting
Network questions and troubleshooting Does it work or doesn't it ? Discuss it here.

Repeater Bridge
Old
  (#1)
Goutan
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 560 Ti 2gb SLI
Processor: i7 920 @ 4.0
Mainboard: ROG Rampage III Formula
Memory: 12GB
Soundcard: Logitech Z5500
PSU: HX1050
Default Repeater Bridge - 05-01-2012, 04:45 | posts: 235 | Location: Los Angeles

When setting one up, do I need Ethernet access to the primary router?

Also, just to make sure that I am understanding how/what the set up is, here is my understanding:

I purchase an additional router. Connect to the initial router wirelessly. Then I can forward the connection to this router and rebroadcast wirelessly while the additional is fully functional.

Also, are there particular routers capable of doing this, or is rebroadcasting available on most routers?

Of course the instructions are more complicated, but I'll break that down once I know this is possible. Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm extending my university internet - everything is ethical

Old
  (#2)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 05-01-2012, 15:01 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutan View Post
When setting one up, do I need Ethernet access to the primary router?

Also, just to make sure that I am understanding how/what the set up is, here is my understanding:

I purchase an additional router. Connect to the initial router wirelessly. Then I can forward the connection to this router and rebroadcast wirelessly while the additional is fully functional.

Also, are there particular routers capable of doing this, or is rebroadcasting available on most routers?

Of course the instructions are more complicated, but I'll break that down once I know this is possible. Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm extending my university internet - everything is ethical
Yeah it's possible. You'll want to find a DD-WRT capable router. Preferably N, if you want speed. But you can get cheap Linksys-G routers for something like 10 dollars.

Once you find one and buy it, you'll have to install the DD WRT firmware, and that's a different process for each router, so you'll have to do some research on that one.

Old
  (#3)
grunger
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660Ti SC 2GB
Processor: Xeon 5670 @4.2Ghz H100
Mainboard: Asus P6T
Memory: 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600W
Default 05-01-2012, 18:57 | posts: 1,870 | Location: London

The feature you need is WDS.

Old
  (#4)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 05-02-2012, 06:51 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunger View Post
The feature you need is WDS.
You don't need WDS to make a repeater bridge. WDS actually cause more problems since it is not standardized. Both routers must also support and have WDS enabled.

Also, Atheros-based routers do not properly support repeater bridge mode. Best to get a Ralink or Broadcom-based routers instead and flash DD-WRT on them.

I have the ASUS RT-N16 which is a Broadcom-based router and is pretty solid.

deltatux

Old
  (#5)
Goutan
Master Guru

Default 05-03-2012, 02:35 | posts: 235 | Location: Los Angeles

Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking this as the go-ahead to purchase a router and work it out. Not entirely sure on the steps yet, but as long as I'm not getting shafted with my purchase, I should be able to drop a few hours on the project and figure it out.

Delt, if you check this again, I'm digging that router, is that the price range I should expect? My knowledge of networking is very small, so I'm not sure if DD WRT is a standard feature. IPlay mentioned a cheap linksys - if they are universally DD WRT, I will probably just shoot for that.

Old
  (#6)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 05-03-2012, 03:07 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutan View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking this as the go-ahead to purchase a router and work it out. Not entirely sure on the steps yet, but as long as I'm not getting shafted with my purchase, I should be able to drop a few hours on the project and figure it out.

Delt, if you check this again, I'm digging that router, is that the price range I should expect? My knowledge of networking is very small, so I'm not sure if DD WRT is a standard feature. IPlay mentioned a cheap linksys - if they are universally DD WRT, I will probably just shoot for that.
The ASUS RT-N16 is definitely a DD-WRT compatible device. DD-WRT is not a standard feature and is a third party firmware. Flashing it to your router will void the warranty.

deltatux

Old
  (#7)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 05-04-2012, 21:27 | posts: 6,559

There's lots of youtube tutorials up that step you through how to do this specific thing. If you can't figure it out, just come back and we can help you out.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Is a compatible devices list. It seems reasonably up to date, my new Asus N-12 is on it.

Personally, for my bedroom, I used a WRT54G. Transfer speeds are definitely less-than-stellar, at just "G" speeds...But it does get the job done. You can typically find these routers sub-10 dollars used..But I don't know exactly what you need for this project.

Old
  (#8)
Goutan
Master Guru

Default 05-06-2012, 04:05 | posts: 235 | Location: Los Angeles

PERFECT! Wicked list, thanks y'all

If I don't get it set up right, I'll be back. Feeling good about it though.