Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Looking to upgrade my old gaming rig, suggestions?
Old
  (#1)
eyehategod420

Videocard: GeForce 7950 GTX 512MB
Processor: AMD 64 4200+
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Can't remember
Talking Looking to upgrade my old gaming rig, suggestions? - 05-05-2012, 21:06 | posts: 1

Hey Guru3D,

I used to be a member on here but I guess over the years that I've been inactive, my profile was deleted. Anyways, hello again! When I was younger I was really in to keeping up with hardware and PC gaming, and I had a custom rig put together. But then I got out of it, especially as I went to college and didn't care anymore. Now I've got the itch to play games like The Witcher 2, and if I were going to play Battlefield 3 or even Skyrim, it would have to be on the PC and not my 360.

Could anyone help me out here? What would be the cheapest way to make this happen? I'm thinking I may only need a new GPU and a new CPU, maybe some more ram? From my memory, here is my old rig:

AMD 64 4200+
4GB Corsair Deluxe DDR300
500GB HDD?
GeForce 7950 GTX 512MB. I can't remember the brand but it came pre-overclocked.
Don't remember the motherboard, but it has 4 slots for RAM and SLI/PCI Express support.

I had considered that maybe I could pick up another 7950 GTX and just run SLI, but I'm not sure if those are so dated that even two of them wouldn't do the trick. If I'm upgrading, I want to at least be able to play a game like The Witcher 2 on high settings, high resolution at a good framerate. But also there is trade-off because I'd like to get there as cheap as possible. Thanks for your help! Look forward to talking specs and hardware.

Old
  (#2)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX Titan H20 1472/7600
Processor: i7 5820K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: Crucial 4x4GB 2666
Soundcard: Xonar Phoebus-PC360/HD598
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000
Default 05-05-2012, 23:27 | posts: 6,790 | Location: USA

Budget? Sadly the only thing you can really do is build a whole new system from scratch. what you have is very dated.

Old
  (#3)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: OCZ ZS 550w
Default 05-05-2012, 23:32 | posts: 7,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
Budget? Sadly the only thing you can really do is build a whole new system from scratch. what you have is very dated.
Very true. The good thing is, you don't need to break the bank to get a computer capable of running modern games at med-high settings. If you give us a budget I'm sure someone can advise you on the best course of action.