Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics
Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics Chat and share your photography skills or talk about digital cameras. Portable Mp3 player not in your grove? How about that snazzy widescreen with 7.1 audio?

Question about Lightroom
Old
  (#1)
MrDre
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX570
Processor: Intel Core i7 965 EE
Mainboard: ROG Rampage II extreme
Memory: Corsair 6Gig Tri-channel
Soundcard: Supreme X-Fi
PSU: CM 1000watt
Default Question about Lightroom - 05-01-2012, 09:43 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

I have a question about Lightroom, that I have not been able to solve myself. The issue is that when I import a photo into Lightroom, it seems to auto adjust the data for the photo. Sometimes I am quite happy how a picture was shot right away, but after the import the colors are not the same anymore (less vibrant/darker).

I have tried searching for an option that enables/disables this process, but didn't find anything that works.

Do any of you guys know what I could do (or shouldn't) to stop this from happening?

Old
  (#2)
Finchwizard
Don Apple

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 05-01-2012, 10:50 | posts: 16,460 | Location: Locked in Guru3D Server Room. Help!

In the Import Window box where it's got your photos, on the Right hand side there's a "Apply During Import" dropdown.

Are there any presets selected?

Also if you go into Edit > Preferences > Presets Tab.

There is an "Apply Auto Tone Adjustments"

Make sure that's unticked.

Old
  (#3)
bballfreak6
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC
Processor: Intel i7 4770K + NH-U14S
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Corsair VP 16GB 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair AX860
Default 05-01-2012, 16:39 | posts: 1,282 | Location: Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDre View Post
I have a question about Lightroom, that I have not been able to solve myself. The issue is that when I import a photo into Lightroom, it seems to auto adjust the data for the photo. Sometimes I am quite happy how a picture was shot right away, but after the import the colors are not the same anymore (less vibrant/darker).

I have tried searching for an option that enables/disables this process, but didn't find anything that works.

Do any of you guys know what I could do (or shouldn't) to stop this from happening?
keep in mind that the camera applied settings won't be picked up by lightroom (assuming this is raw you are opening up in lightroom) therefore what you see on your camera lcd won't look the same once you open up the raw in lightroom however if you open up in the supplied program (eg DPP for canon) it should look the same...hope that made sense

Old
  (#4)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-01-2012, 16:53 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwizard View Post
In the Import Window box where it's got your photos, on the Right hand side there's a "Apply During Import" dropdown.

Are there any presets selected?

Also if you go into Edit > Preferences > Presets Tab.

There is an "Apply Auto Tone Adjustments"

Make sure that's unticked.
Thank you, Ill try these options tonight.

Old
  (#5)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-01-2012, 16:57 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak6 View Post
keep in mind that the camera applied settings won't be picked up by lightroom (assuming this is raw you are opening up in lightroom) therefore what you see on your camera lcd won't look the same once you open up the raw in lightroom however if you open up in the supplied program (eg DPP for canon) it should look the same...hope that made sense
Yeah I know that photos might look a little different, but in this case the photos become different after the import, so in LR I can already see the photo's as I view them in the import screen where they appear much more like the photo was originally taken.

Old
  (#6)
Repo Man
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD4870 512mb
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2gh
Mainboard: Asus M2N
Memory: Kingston Hyper-X 6gb DDR2
Soundcard: Creative SB audigy 2 ZS
PSU: Nexus NX-5000 500W
Default 05-02-2012, 07:25 | posts: 1,759 | Location: Oxford UK

Is both LR and the camera set to sRGB colour space ? ( or Adobe RGB if thats what you prefer )

Old
  (#7)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-02-2012, 15:13 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
Is both LR and the camera set to sRGB colour space ? ( or Adobe RGB if thats what you prefer )
That's a good point!

I checked the other settings, but those should be fine. Still pictures change quite drastically after import.

I'll check the color space tonight.

Old
  (#8)
chiefmasterjedi
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
Processor: i7 920 @4.2Ghz H2O GTZ
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe O/C palm
Memory: XMS3 3x2GB 1600Mhz
Soundcard: X-FI Fatality & Z5500
PSU: Zalman 1000watt
Default 05-03-2012, 17:38 | posts: 469 | Location: NC

I'm at work right now, but I'll look into this when I get home. I use Lightroom every day and know exactly what you are referring to. To go back to the original photo, right click the image within Lightroom and under "presets" (i think that's where it is) pick the one right at the top which will be "reset". That should put the photo back to it's original state.
When I get home tonight, I will check into this further and see how you can import without Lightroom doing anything.

Old
  (#9)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-03-2012, 22:35 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmasterjedi View Post
I'm at work right now, but I'll look into this when I get home. I use Lightroom every day and know exactly what you are referring to. To go back to the original photo, right click the image within Lightroom and under "presets" (i think that's where it is) pick the one right at the top which will be "reset". That should put the photo back to it's original state.
When I get home tonight, I will check into this further and see how you can import without Lightroom doing anything.
That would be great, I checked al the settings that Finchwizard, Repo man and bballfreak6 told about. These are set as they should be now, but LR still changes the imported pictures. I can improve the photo by clicking the "autotone" option, but I rather not have LR change the initial import.

Old
  (#10)
chiefmasterjedi
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
Processor: i7 920 @4.2Ghz H2O GTZ
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe O/C palm
Memory: XMS3 3x2GB 1600Mhz
Soundcard: X-FI Fatality & Z5500
PSU: Zalman 1000watt
Default 05-03-2012, 23:42 | posts: 469 | Location: NC

OK, I'm at my computer now. When you are in the import panel of Lightroom, make sure the whole window is viewable by clicking the little down arrow in the bottom left corner. Then look at the panels to the right and you will see one called "apply during import", in the develop settings box select "None". this should fix your problem.
Or as I stated in my first post, you can right click an image, go down to "develop settings" and then click reset.

Hope this helps.

Old
  (#11)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-04-2012, 08:29 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
OK, I'm at my computer now. When you are in the import panel of Lightroom, make sure the whole window is viewable by clicking the little down arrow in the bottom left corner. Then look at the panels to the right and you will see one called "apply during import", in the develop settings box select "None". this should fix your problem.
Or as I stated in my first post, you can right click an image, go down to "develop settings" and then click reset.

Hope this helps.
Ok thanks Chief, I'll try this tonight. Hope this solves it.

Old
  (#12)
Finchwizard
Don Apple

Default 05-04-2012, 08:49 | posts: 16,460 | Location: Locked in Guru3D Server Room. Help!

Quote:
Hope this helps.
That's what I said to do

Old
  (#13)
MrDre
Master Guru

Default 05-08-2012, 14:44 | posts: 157 | Location: Netherlands

Ok guys, any other suggestions? All suggested settings should not interfere with the import.
I decided to try and install LR 4.0, but it still changes the picture. I also noticed that LR only does this for imported RAW files and not JPG.
Could it be that LR reverts to the original photo when importing (given the settings) and that the photo I see at the import screen is in fact an auto enhanced preview?

Old
  (#14)
Finchwizard
Don Apple

Default 05-08-2012, 15:02 | posts: 16,460 | Location: Locked in Guru3D Server Room. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDre View Post
Ok guys, any other suggestions? All suggested settings should not interfere with the import.
I decided to try and install LR 4.0, but it still changes the picture. I also noticed that LR only does this for imported RAW files and not JPG.
Could it be that LR reverts to the original photo when importing (given the settings) and that the photo I see at the import screen is in fact an auto enhanced preview?
Because I don't have my camera near me with some shots on it.

It may be displaying the JPEG images to you, and then you're seeing the RAW un-edited or modified images.

Old
  (#15)
Glidefan
Don Booze

Videocard: HD7850 | 8600M GS
Processor: C2Q Q6600 | C2D T5550
Mainboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Memory: 6144MB | 4096MB
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS | ALC 888
PSU: Aurora 600w | 90w AC
Default 05-08-2012, 23:03 | posts: 11,945 | Location: Solar System, Earth, Med, Cyprus

Finch may be right. It could be that lightroom is showing you the embedded thumb in the RAM (I think there is a 1600*1200 preview in there but i may be mistaken) and then its getting the RAW file without the custom settings that you may have in your camera.

Old
  (#16)
bballfreak6
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC
Processor: Intel i7 4770K + NH-U14S
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Corsair VP 16GB 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair AX860
Default 05-09-2012, 00:48 | posts: 1,282 | Location: Brisbane, Australia

that's what i tried to say earlier...^^"